Allen Hinds Discussion :: View topic - Allen's Teaching DVD
Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index

Allen Hinds Discussion
The Official Allen Hinds Discussion Forum

www.AllenHinds.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Allen's Teaching DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index -> Allen Hinds Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfhalo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Allen's Teaching DVD Reply with quote

I just received Allen's teaching DVD from allstarmusiclessons.com, "The Next Step", and wanted those interested to know that is is fabulous.......a wonderful teaching tool. Allen has one of the lightest touches I've ever seen in a guitar player (I've been playing for 35 years) and he explains this technique in detail on the DVD. There are some excellent drills to help use and understand the fingerboard to its fullest extent.........outside the box. Though I've played for many years and was a professional guitarist for 12 years, I've learned some very nice skills after only two sessions watching the DVD. If you'd like to take your playing to another level, this will help immensely. I'm hoping Allen and allstarmusiclessons.com get together again for another DVD.
yingyang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened upon the DVD by clicking the link above. Looked at some samples and could tell this would be a good investment. Cannot wait to find out more about Mr. Hinds. From what I saw he seems like quite a player.
sfhalo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually a bit surprised that there aren't more Allen Hinds fans contributing to this forum. He's a wonderful guitarist, but I don't see many replies to initial questions. Anyway...........yes, the DVD is really great...........relatively short, but filled with many great exercises and tips for avoiding the normal cliches in guitar playing. How did you wander into this forum? Are you a player? What types of guitars? Adrian
yebdox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: I agree. Reply with quote

I discovered Allen through the Xotic videos on their website and then downloaded his CD when it came out last summer. I also have the instructional DVD and agree: great tone, wonderful touch, tasty and inventive outside playing, very funky, very cool.

I wrote Allen a couple of weeks ago, using his email address at his website and mentioned that he has fans who would like to hear from him over here. I was complimentary about his playing and he wrote back a quick thank you, but I haven't seen any response here on his discussion board. You might try the same - if he gets enough positive email, maybe he will sit down for 15 minutes and answer a few questions for us all.

I highly recommend the DVD and got the understanding from someone at Allstar that they are working on a 2nd one, as well, or at least have plans for one.
yingyang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the ad for his DVD up at the top on a banner while in Brett Garsed's forum. I was very impressed by the sample and am always open to good instruction. I have received the DVD and thought it was really cool. Rarely do I ever sit down and watch the whole thing in one sitting, but I did on this one. Did not get my guitar out while doing so, but just listened. Very informative.

As far as guitars go, I have too many, but mainly play a '52 American Re-issue Tele and a Custom Shop strat (closet classic) and a few other strats and teles. I also own some ESP guitars. They are nice, but just lack in tone. Very thin sounding.

I play in a 10pc. cover band. http://www.bananaseat.com
It is not much as far soloing goes, but I definitely get a workout chordally.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more of Allen's tunes and talking shop with you guys.
sfhalo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found out from Mike Whittaker of Allstar Music Lessons.com that they are currently producing two more teaching DVDs by Allen. They are supposed to be available sometime in April. As soon as they are released, I'll be placing my order! As I mentioned previously, I played professionally for 12 years and consider Allen one of the finest guitarists I've ever heard.......an incredible feel and great tone......much liek Robben Ford, another favorite of mine.
yingyang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have enjoyed the first one and look forward to looking at the others.
sfhalo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the DVDs are great, I sure would like it if Allen made it to the San Diego area for a gig. I'd love to see him perform in person. This past Saturday, I got tickets for the October 12 concert at Humphrey's By The Bay in San Diego with the Larry Carlton Blues Project featuring Robben Ford! Needless to say, it should be a great concert. Robben is my favorite guitarist and I put Allen right up there in the same category.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index -> Allen Hinds Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: