Allen Hinds Discussion :: View topic - fingerstyle technique?
Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index

Allen Hinds Discussion
The Official Allen Hinds Discussion Forum

www.AllenHinds.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

fingerstyle technique?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index -> Allen Hinds Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yebdox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: fingerstyle technique? Reply with quote

I noticed from the videos that Allen does not use a pick... I can understand the kind of alternating index/thumb type of picking that Robben uses sometimes, and I think Joe Pass used towards the end, but Allen gets up some speed and remains articulate... it looks like from the video that he closes the gap between his thumb and index finger as if he's holding a pick, but does anyone know ( or Allen, would be great to get it from the horse's mouth!) if he is striking the strings with the thumb nail, index nail, thumb tip, or both thumb and index tips in an offset alternation? It looks like it would be a very versatile alternative to using a pick, if one could develop the articulation that Allen has... very nice! I wonder as well, about volume on an acoustic, or soreness from constant strumming, like funk rhythms.

Great player, very nice lines and tone!
Allen Hinds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've beeen vacant on this discussion board, but I never got a lot of attention so I just forgot.
Anyway, hope you get this, I tuck my pick between my index and middle finger, I seem to be able to hold the pick at the knuckle securely and still be able to finger pick and get back to the pick with ease.
thanks for the interse
best
Allen Hinds
yebdox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, Allen! Thought I was going to go crazy, trying to figure out that degree of articulation without a pick! (kind of like listening to Wes and trying to get my thumb to move that fast!)

Your playing and writing is certainly deserving of more recognition - sounds like you are making it work with all of your different gigs. I have your CD and think it sounds great - would be nice to hear you record something live, as well.. the video clips sound very tasty - very thoughtful, hip playing.

I would like to ask what you are using for a gigging amp (from the La Vee Lee clips) - are you using a Deluxe and miking it? or something bigger? Finally, what speakers in your deluxe and your live set up? Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Allen Hinds Discussion Forum Index -> Allen Hinds Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: