Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you guys keepit all apart?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: how do you guys keepit all apart? Reply with quote

I'm trying to sort out some chords here, and although this might not be an unusual chord, but the situation does come up every now nd then.

So I'm in the "gonna patch up some progressions, and try to create a song" .. so I fiddle around with the guitar, find some chords that I think are cool, and then I want to go ahead and write some basic loop using the keyboard, you know just an easy "simple bass, drums, and synth" loop based on the progression so that I can start to mess around with it, and try to come up with a more solid idea, and a melodic theme.

My problem is that I really don't know what I'm doing so to speak that I do not know much about the names of the chords and stuff ... I mean .. I know the fretboard .. and I know a bunch of chords but not very much about how to name them so to speak.

Ok, so now I have a bunch of software that I can use, for example I bought this "Superchord finder" great.. if it wasn't for the fact that it gives me about 3-5 names on each chord I try to find.

So I use the "find chord manually" option, click on the fretboard layout on the notes included ... ok now it says it is a C7add11 chord ...

Perfect, so I run into band in the box to create a quick and dirty song template .. only to find that it doesn't recognize the chord C7add11 ..
sure I can use a C7 but thats not really what I wanted cause my plan was to play a c7add11 and let it move to a straight C7 ...

So even if I do know which note it is refering to (that add11) I cannot use it in an easy way cause I do not know the other names I am sure youu can use for that specific chord ..

And again I have to do it the only way I know ... transfer everything note by note from the guitar to my synth, using cubase, and click and edit to add the nuances and the extras that I made out on the guitar ...

Which I would prefer to do at a later time if I still liked the song after a couple of days, or if I made up some nice solo/melody for it ..

How do you guys keep all that apart? .. you kow it all? or do you struggle like me? ... or maybe you stick to play your progressions using a guitar and a drum machine and save the other stuff until later ..?

Well I just wanted to shoot some sh***... about it, and see if I could pick up a better way to do things, or just to hear how other people go about these things.

I believe most of the forum users are creating their own music so I thought it was ok to ask this in here ....

Sorry if my so called question is ambigious or fuzzy ... but .. like I said I wanted to hear how you guys solve these matters..

have a good one
//Ken1
n_mountain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

hope I understood your problem right. Embarassed

Wouldn't it be easier to create that loop in cubase using some software Synth??

You said you 'transfer everything note by note from the guitar to my synth, using cubvase' anyway, so you already have the chords in cubase, right?
Just loop em there. Add some drums and jam Smile

Stephan
Mick520

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also just try inputting C7sus4 as the real tension of that chord is the 4th / 11th.

See if that gets the sound you're after?
Big Kev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the guitar, add11 chords are often misnomers for sus4 chords anyway, due to fingering constraints and voicing limitations. Same goes for add9 and sus2 chords, and for the same reason Mick mentions.

Kev
Ken1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

I really apreciate it

Smile

//Ken1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: