Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone mastered both Hybrid picking and alternate picking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishyguy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Anyone mastered both Hybrid picking and alternate picking? Reply with quote

Mastering both these techniques would be so awesome! Imagine playing fusionesque legato lines like Brett using hybrid picking and following that up with some cool fast picked runs. Then you can throw in some of those tapped ideas of Greg Howe. That would create quite a musical landscape. I believe Marshall Harrison can Hybrid pick well but he economy picks. I dont know if he has godly phrasing like Brett though.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of a guy with the name Guthrie Govan?
bretto212

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Guthrie and also Joel Hoekstra. They're both just amazing players and I know Joel not only has a lot of the hybrid stuff happening but also some incredible two-hand style as well. Great writer too.
www.joelhoekstra.com
seaweed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melodic Dreamer wrote:
Have you heard of a guy with the name Guthrie Govan?

YES! I absolutely love Guthrie Govan...

He is the most accomplished guitarist i have ever heard.. And what some would call 'tasteful shredding' never cranking into 5th gear just to impress.

He has the ability to play most styles of music, and his unusual tapping technique is definitely unsurpassed.. Not to mention he can chicken pick like a bitch Smile Rock, fusion, jazz, country... hes got it all..

Every year he plays at NAMM, or at tonemerchants you really see how hard he has worked to improve himself as a musician..

Here is a good example of his ability to constantly improve his playing. The first bunch of clips are from 2004, a year later.. wow..

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_Clips.htm

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_NAMM_2005_Clips.htm

Ive said it before, My dream team of guitar would be

Brett Garsed
Guthrie Govan
Ron Thal (bumblefoot)

Also Brett, that Joel Hoekstra stuff is hot... never heard it.... good stuff

salute...
Big Kev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and his unusual tapping technique is definitely unsurpassed

I can only assume you've never seen or heard TJ then ...

Kev
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretto212 wrote:
I would recommend Guthrie and also Joel Hoekstra. They're both just amazing players and I know Joel not only has a lot of the hybrid stuff happening but also some incredible two-hand style as well. Great writer too.
www.joelhoekstra.com

I almost said Joel, but the original psoter was asking abaout amazing picking and Joel doesn't seem like a guy who does that. Maybe he can, but I haven't him do it.

Now for Hybrid picking with tapping, look no further than our very own Magnus Olsson. Alessandro Benvinuti has a pretty good Hybrid/tapping techniqe too.
bretto212

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Melodic Dreamer"]
bretto212 wrote:

I almost said Joel, but the original psoter was asking abaout amazing picking and Joel doesn't seem like a guy who does that. Maybe he can, but I haven't him do it.

Good point to raise actually. I've jammed with Joel and TJ many, many times over the years and can say that Joel is one of the most versatile players I've ever heard but he seems more focused on writing great tunes and using whatever techniques are necessary to bring them to life. That's why his albums don't sound like a guitar clinic.
Be aware that not all players like to reveal every technique they have under their hands in the music they compose or when they perform. It's important to some musicians to have an identity as a writer even though they're mulit-faceted enough to play almost any style. My good friend Stuart Fraser is mainly known as one of the greatest rock guitarists here in OZ but I've heard him play Chet Atkins stuff that is just amazing. TJ can pick like a wild man but his style of self expression is mainly two hand. Scott Henderson has chops beyond belief but is such a tasteful player that he only uses them when appropriate.
Establishing an identity as a writer is as difficult and time consuming as establishing an identity as a player. It's a drag to hear a great player and not have a clue who it is due to a lack of identity. To me, Holdsworth is a great example of a true artist as his sound, approach and harmonic choices are wrapped up in his songs. I'm sure he could/can play any style if he chose to but he's probably too busy making his own unique music. Other players would rather be as multi-faceted as possible which is also amazing. I guess it's just a question of priority for the individual.
seaweed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Kev wrote:
Quote:

Kev

oh of course Smile TJ is always gonna be the master.. Smile
madeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaweed wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
Quote:

Kev

oh of course Smile TJ is always gonna be the master.. Smile

orrrrr....(in a completely different style though) Stanley Jordan. Now he is the shiz.
JJW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh yeah thats a blast from the past-I had his 1st album many years ago and it was refreshing to hear

Is he still doing his patented touch tech?I remember reading in a guitar mag that he felt it restricted his playing in the way he lacked dynamics and he was looking at playing the guitar as god intended(like us mortals)!!lol

Have to say TJ is the best tapper i have ever heard-his phrases are beutifully melodic and he makes it cry and sing when needed-he never has a lack of dynamics!Some of his harmonics scream!Great musician
madeh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know he's still doing the touch technique, but I dunno what he's going on about when he think he's not dynamic, I've heard his work and its tasty as hell!
Big Kev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Stanley meant (and critics at the time tended to agree) was that his tapping technique was not able to afford him all the nuances typical of the straight-ahead jazz genre, especially when it came to chordal and rhythm work. It is indeed harder to develop a fully-expressive tapping technique if you don't use distortion or overdrive to assist in controlling your dynamics.

EDIT - And by dynamics we're not talking note choices here, but rather the ways you can vary your attack to produce different tonal variations and responses from both instrument and amplifier.

Kev
madeh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yea, Stanley's clean tone does make it extra hard to be dynamic, but his playing is very dynamic given the limitations of that technique on a clean instrument. But this all does bring up the question, what the hell got Stanley started on this technique if he was into jazz? Fair enough TJ's a rock musician so its fairly easy to find its place. IN either case, they're both nuts Laughing
JJW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was refering to dynamics kev-i havnt got the mag now but i did read it (lol)and he moaned about his tech saying on the next album he might use a LP/marshall and a pick as his playing lacked dynamics compared to others-and that was only his tech that was doing this

dynamics covers EVERY thing mate-not just chordal-its the whole picture and he felt(at that time)he was lacking the complete picture

Perhaps he had heard some ripping rock/fusion/jazz guys playing with overdive in a club before the interview that blwe him away?Perhaps he realized that playing his music was great but didnt realy give him a pot to piss in when it comes to money?

Either way he was looking at using a pick and a LP-this was ages ago and i havnt followed him since so i expect he stuck with what he does Very Happy
tulli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People forget about a great 8-finger player and actually one of the first to incorporate it...Steve Lynch of Autograph, he's great, dunno where he is now tho...lol.

Stanley J is cool....but i hate to say it !! He makes me wanna go to sleep after a while lol,but a pioneer none-the-less.

TJ...I love his slippery style,unique phrasing genius if you ask me.

There alotta players out there not AS known as these dudes,check out Don Lappin, that guy is a sicko,but awesome...all i'm gonna say.
Guthrie 8 tapping is sick,Kiko Louliero of Angra too actually.

Right...dinner time...lol, tata string slingers : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: