Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhythm Chops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratcat78

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Rhythm Chops Reply with quote

Hi guys!

When I first heard Brett's playing, I found myself slack-jawed by his amazing sense of rhythm. He swings with time, and locks in on it too. There are plenty of guitarists out there that can perform a barrage of notes, but Bretts timing is just something else!

I read in an online interview that his advice for players is to work on their rhythm skills, and stressed the value of this. Most guitarists, unfortunately, suffer from poor rhythm skills due to the focus on the melodic and harmonic elements.

How about sharing some tips on how to develope this facility? Asided from using a metronome and practicing etudes? i've always wondered how the jazz guys lock in on time Smile

thanx a bunch!
JernR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

I would download a nice variety of backing tracks from the web. Here's a nice site:

http://www.online-discussion.com/NothingButClips/

Try to play to as many different styles as possible and you'll start to notice what makes each style unique from a rhythmic standpoint.

Hope it helped,

Reid
stratcat78

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanx for the tip! looks like i'll be woodshedding in my room over the weekend.

how about some theory or tricks to quickly absorb different rhythmic groupings?

i kinda thought up of this practice method while meditating on the bus home-

over a backing track, soloing throughout its duration strictly using a note value? eg. 5mins of pure 1/2 notes, followed by 5mins of just 1/4 notes, then 8th notes, variations of triplets, then possibly after a few weeks (when the beats have registered in my system, hopefully), move up to odd groupings such as 5, 7, 9, different rhythmic "feels" etc.

would this help? would like you to share your thoughts on this thought Smile
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try jamming along to albums. That way you'll be playing with some of the best rhythm sections in the world. I'd recommend picking up Gary Willis's solo albums (Bent and No Sweat). The grooves are unbelievable (naturally!) and there's no guitar on the albums.
Just listen to your favorite players and try to assimilate some of their phrasing. You won't end up like a clone if you just use the phrasing ideas and create your own melodies. I sincerely doubt there's any "trick" to getting this happening quickly. If there is, someone please tell me!
stratcat78

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you very much for your sage advise Brett, you are absolutely awesome Smile Smile Smile

it'll take alot of sleepless nights and coffee to try to assimilate your phrasing Wink
ilovemusic

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g'day stratcat, ive found that one of the most important things in my rythym playing is to be confident, maybe even over confident, its important that you take charge and make sure youre deciding what youre playing as opposed to being hesitant. hope this helps my friend. bye.
stratcat78

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovemusic wrote:
g'day stratcat, ive found that one of the most important things in my rythym playing is to be confident, maybe even over confident, its important that you take charge and make sure youre deciding what youre playing as opposed to being hesitant. hope this helps my friend. bye.

thanx for the great tip! rest assured that I'll be keeping that in mind. Wink its just that brett's lines just rip me up when he shifts to higher gear, the sheer accuracy and smoothness is jawdropping. i'll be working on it hard, and hopefully one day... my metronome will dig me Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: