Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Is there anyone carrying the Jimi torch?

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Is there anyone carrying the Jimi torch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its already been said, but I think Prince was the closest to continuing what Jimi started.

SRV new the licks, but I'm not sure he had the creativity.
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there anyone carrying the Jimi torch? Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
We live in very bleak times in terms of the popular music landscape. The mean level of ability is so low that Britney Spears is considered quite good and Madonna is revered as a great interpreter of song. Jimi's peers are dead (Jerry Garcia & Duane Allman), may as well be (Peter Green & Johnny Winter), no longer active (Jimmy Page), are desperately courting the contemporary pop crowd (Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana) or making unattractive noise burdened by leaden settings under the pretext of being cutting edge (Jeff Beck).

Since Jimi's passing, there have been numerous guitarists that have advanced the technical & sonic palette available to players and kept the instrument in the public eye. Van Halen, Malmsteen, Satriani & Vai immediately come to mind. Unfortunately, none of them have managed to do more than harness their acrobatics to bubblegum metal or far, far worse.

For my money, Hendrix was a musical visionary, in the same league as Mozart, Stockhausen, Ellington, Bird, Miles & Coltrane. He took his influences, never really disguised or hid them, adapted his art to the accepted form of the day (psychedelic pop music) and made music that transcended those influences & his contemporary reality and remains relevant and, much more importantly, vibrant to this day and beyond. Superficially, he's everywhere, whenever black funk meets white rock or the archness of psychedelia meets the bawdiness of country blues. His presence is all-pervasive at the same time it is oh-so-obviously stage managed to avoid the less palatable aspects of his legacy. He was a genius but sometimes he was barely able to find a glimmer of that.

Are there any musical visionaries left? There are many musicians whose latest recordings I look forward to hearing but do they deserve to be in the exalted company of Miles & Coltrane. Michael Brecker is probably a more technically capable player than 'Trane ever was. He has absorbed Trane's style, as well as being fluent in many other styles. But the passion of Coltrane's work is never present. He's no mere copyist, but he is also nowhere near being a peer of his greatest influence. Something is lacking. Is there anyone currently active, either in, or approaching, their prime that the readers of this forum would consider to be carrying the torch of Jimi and, by extension, Miles, Coltrane et al?

Ahhh I see that we meet again...hmm......
kountzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before, and I am a newbie btw, I've been persuing this Hendrix thing since his death. I've been listening to others that can approach what Jimi was able to do. There are some great guitarist out there, that have decades and volumes of work, and new techniques to record it with. To me, Satana comes the closest. I've listened to CArlos since '71, trying to fill the Hendrix void. Jimmy Page is definitely great. Still no Jimi; where's the no holds barred, down to your soul improvisation? I saw Clapton once, in a bill with late texas bluesman Freddy King. Clapton's defintely all that and a bag of fritos, but he doesn't cut loose. I mean, when Jimi hit that screaming solo in the middle of machine gun, at the fillmore. I'm waiting for someone to do that again.

I had a 100 opportunities to see SRV; he used to play at certain night clubs around houston on a daily basis. Back then he was just a regional act; the rest of the nation hadn't picked up on him yet. I remember SRV playing the astrodome, doing the star spangled banner. He wore all the scarves and stuff, just like Jimi. I thought it was a bit pretentious, especially in the late 1980s. But, srv is gone also. Robin trower tried. Bridge of sighs was okay. Mahogony rush tried, not bad.
As has been said, I don't think anyone can do it. Jimi Hendrix was just a one time thing. DNa, conditioning, the chitling circuit, the 60s, all that came together and created one great musician. I don't think it can happen the same way again, or come close.

~ Kountzer ~
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can't agree there- not much of a Prince fan!

It's difficult to say who's carrying Jimi's torch now... I guess though eventualy there will be a reaction to all this record company controlled tepid safe mush that's being put out at the moment...its just the natural course of events.
hello people

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nice observations and well worded.

I think music is too commercial these days. Aslo it is so fractured. The popular music scene is very categorised. Back in the 60's popular youth music was more united. Sure you had your Stones, your Beatles but I think people back then were less possessive of music like they are today. People enjoyed good music then. Today people who like metal hate melodic acoustic; or people into goth hate this or hate that.

Today people want to own a style/ genre and it's split and watered down the kind of healthy competitiveness that existed among bands back in the 60's who dug one another's stuff, and wanted to push creativity ahead. I think today the music scene is very selfish and guarded. There's too much emphasis for bands on style and genre rather than creativity. They emphasise style and genre because that's all they know. All they are really doing is targeting a market. I'd like to see bands making music that is for music's sake, not music that fits into categories and that can be labelled as appealling to X Y or Z.

There'll always be freaks and incredible players. But I reckon their ability to appeal to the many different kinds of tastes/ markets won't be as strong...not that Miles and Coltrane were necessarily household names. But still...

I like the point salty makes. My 2 cents is that unlike the 60's where all eyes were keenly on lots and lots of bands...today people's eyes look through a letterbox at the style they think they like...and that means that truely great music might find it harder to at least appear uniting, worthwhile or special.

Jimi's time was an incredibly creative time. But there's a dollar sign on everything these days more so than ever before. Creativity is a skill in marketing these days. Geez, they even have things like American Idol or Australian Idol. An 'idol' is a false god. How appropriately named is that concept!?

Anyway, the torch is down. But I bet there are plenty of people around the world still making great music. Just don't be looking for it in the popular scene like you could back in the 60's
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I mean, when Jimi hit that screaming solo in the middle of machine gun, at the fillmore.
~ Kountzer ~[/quote]

Every time I watch BoG filmore concert- I LOVE it when he does that..

I does make you think as much as Vai, Malsteem et al, have these great techniques-they would played about million notes in place of that one. They never would have the courage to let one note ring out and really mean something.
hello people

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like comparing ripples with tidal waves
Bobends

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here, go out and buy Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

That John Frusciante is amazing - he's the best modern guitarist there is, and the new album is very hendrix-inspired.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Not my music Reply with quote

I read about the hendrix stuff in some magazine and about liking hendrix,i can listen to there stuff but not my style realy,and dont buy any of there stuff,and best modern guitarist i would pick doyle bramhall II and then eric gales if i had to over John Frusciante any day,but jsut my choice. Cool
Also did the teeth info and youtube stuff help at all. Question
Bobends

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teeth video was good - I can sort of play a bit with my teeth now, cheers.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Ok no problems,i though like when hendrix or srv play behind there backs or heads more. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: