Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Buddy Miles Audio Interview

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Buddy Miles Audio Interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Buddy Miles Audio Interview Reply with quote

Thanks to Bob Davis of Soul Patrol radio for the interview! A bit depressing though. There's obviously more than a little bad blood between Billy and Buddy. I hope Janie takes Bob up on his offer to give him her side of the story, but I'm not optimistic. I also had no idea that Buddy was angry at Leon. I wish all this bad blood would go away, in honor of Jimi, but as long as greenbacks are involved, there will be bickering and resentment. Jimi's got to be turning in his grave; he had enough turmoil in his life to begin with.

2 hr. Buddy Miles Interview @ Soul-Patrol.Net Radio

Listen @ the following link: http://www.soul-patrol.net/buddymiles.ram

This interview is in the Real Audio format. If you don't have the free Real Player, download it here.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that blahblahwoofwoof,now to find the time to listen to it all,i did not know there was bad blood between buddy and billy at all too.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Listened to Reply with quote

I listened pretty much to it all,and buddy not liking billy,janie etc..was sort of new to me,like remeind me,it was over the royalties of the album,bad memory,like he has got no money out of it,is why he is angry.Like i dont realy want to listen to it again too,to long.
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was interesting..but couldnt get a lot of it, not sure what I think of lightening rod I think he was ruining some good guitar playing but then personaly I just cant stand rap. Was it really recorded way back then, they didnt just get the recording and stick the vocal over the top at a later date? Recorded by Alan Douglas.. thats rather suspicous considering all the dodgy recordings he did of Hendrix.

And Prince always used to say he prefered Santana to Hendrix, more "pretty" apparently -but what do I know..

Its a shame to hear about the animosty but somehow it's not very surprising I guess there's bad blood as billy cox still does work for EH. But hang on didnt they play together quite recently on some EH related thing? And I dont know what he had against Leon, who wasnt anything to do with Jimi's music back then ?? Strange.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Myspace Reply with quote

I forget when this radio interview was done,but on myspace i see billy cox has buddy miles as a friend,maybe they have made up,and also there was the band of gypsy's cd/dvd they did last year?,too.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
That was interesting..but couldnt get a lot of it, not sure what I think of lightening rod I think he was ruining some good guitar playing but then personaly I just cant stand rap. Was it really recorded way back then, they didnt just get the recording and stick the vocal over the top at a later date? Recorded by Alan Douglas.. thats rather suspicous considering all the dodgy recordings he did of Hendrix.

Here's an interview with Alan Douglas where he recounts how he came upon The Last Poets and some info about the recording of Doriella Du Fontaine. According to Douglas, the whole thing was a 13 minute improvisation.

http://www.me.umn.edu/~kgeisler/ad.html

Georgina wrote:
And Prince always used to say he prefered Santana to Hendrix, more "pretty" apparently -but what do I know..

He must've changed his mind since then. Laughing Because his Super Bowl halftime show performance was soaking wet (literally) with Jimi soul.

Georgina wrote:
Its a shame to hear about the animosity but somehow it's not very surprising I guess there's bad blood as billy cox still does work for EH. But hang on didnt they play together quite recently on some EH related thing?

I think it's pretty definitive that Buddy doesn't care for Billy. If you listen to the interview at precisely 55.52 he goes into why he doesn't like Billy. Even going so far as to say "I don't have any kind things to say about Billy Cox at all", citing "bad blood" as one of the reasons. According to the interview, Buddy is mad at Billy because of the release of the Band Of Gypsys Return CD. Buddy exclaims that he wouldn't of had a problem with the project if it had been "done right." He also is upset because he wasn't asked to be there "If you didn't want me there; I'm not going to look bad for the man upstairs, ever, if I don't have to. Now that's just the bottom line my friend. That goes for James Marshall Hendrix and the same applied to Michael Bloomfield.

Buddy says to Billy "Here we are in the year 2000 almost 7 and you've got the damn nerve to put my name on the cover of your album."

When asked about what Buddy thinks about Band Of Gypsys Return CD he says, "Not very much, because it misrepresents the BOG and if I would've been asked to do it, Billy Cox knows damn well that I would've said no; because I haven't talked to Billy Cox in almost four years for a reason, 5 years.. There is absolutely nothing that I have to say to this man because he did it out of spite and out of greed. And so did Janie Hendrix. I have nothing to say; they both don't like me or my wife because we both made it very understandable that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. And she thinks beyond a reasonable doubt that since I'm older that I'm a recluse or I'm this and that. Now right is right and wrong is wrong, but you see, it is a very true statement that God really don't like ugly. And those two people are ugly people."

Just for the record, the tracks with Buddy on the Band Of Gypsys Return CD were originally cut for the Line 6 Guitarport which enables guitarists to learn and play along with the BOG tracks. I could be wrong, but I don't think Buddy was expecting EH to release the tracks he recorded for Line 6 in 2001 or 02 on an album in 2006.

http://www.guitarport.com/faq.html

Georgina wrote:
And I dont know what he had against Leon, who wasnt anything to do with Jimi's music back then ?? Strange.

Here what he had to say about Leon, Cox and Janie. At 1:03:35 Buddy says, "What am I supposed to do when I hear stories about Jimi Hendrix's brother trying to take his brothers place saying that he can play a guitar? I'm gonna see him tomorrow night and this dude put an article in the New York Times and also said it on Howard Stern within the last six months that I worked for him. What should I do? I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm gonna play one song and fuse what I want to in it for Jimi. And then I'm gonna say my brother, wherever you are, have a good one, because God's protecting you, but I got work to do.. And I'll never ever throw you out of my life. But your people, they must and they will stay away from me from this moment on. The reason why, is because everything that has been done to me has been done out of jealousy, envy and greed especially when it comes to Mr. William "Billy" Cox. Especially when it comes to a step-sister who never had anything to do with Jimi Hendrix period. She barely even knew the man because I knew it and I've got a picture to prove it. I met her when she couldn't hardly talk. She was only six years old. And Jimi's dad considered me his son also, just btw. I'll never forget it, that's a whole story in itself."

Last edited by blahblahwoofwoof on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Myspace Reply with quote

Christopher X wrote:
I forget when this radio interview was done,but on myspace i see billy cox has buddy miles as a friend,maybe they have made up,and also there was the band of gypsy's cd/dvd they did last year?,too.

This interview is from November or December of 2006. Either way, in the interview, Buddy claims that he hasn't spoken with Billy for four or five years.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks blahblahwoofwoof,then they have not got around to removing each other from there myspace friends lists it seems.
And also for all the excerpts and info,so i understand why buddy is mad,and he knew nothing though?,seem hard to belive but i thought it was new stuff not from back then,and when he found out,it must have been back then as they stopped talking unless that was for other reasons.
Georgina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that bbww. And the links etc.

I had no idea buddy wasn't asked to appear on the band of gypsy return, yet they used his drum tracks anyway, so no wonder he's mad....but the way janie is behaving is nothing knew and of course he's totaly right about her. Although Leon always seemed to be the hustler type in some ways, it's bit rough on him to say, how dare he try and take his brother place..I dont think Leon is trying to do that.

But sounds like billy just got caught between janie and him-what a nightmare.

Well you never it may come good in the end, these things sometimes do.
Pink Floyd didnt speak to each other for years and years, then they reunited for live aid in 2005 and did an amazing gig.
Robert W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to this interview. It sounds like an interesting one.
Robert W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be glad when Buddy Miles' book comes out so I can buy it. I know there's a lot of injustice that's been done to this man.
batagy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interview link!

It's interesting to read all these controversials between Buddy and Billy and Janie etc.
I never know that Band of Gypsys Return CD was released without the agreement of Buddy. Then I also agree how Buddy feels.

Will listen the interview.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Get payed? Reply with quote

But when buddy went into it,he must have known they where recording it for a album,or he thought he was just playing for fun.Unless he just did not like what he herd after it and wanted out,but they said to late or something,but forget now,he has not got payed for his work on it or not?.
I want to get that cd/dvd mainly for eric gales on it,who i wish had more tracks though playing his guitar. Cool
Robert W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Christopher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: