Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Dylan & Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Dylan & Hendrix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Dylan & Hendrix Reply with quote

From johnny black's book on Hendrix:
(October 1965, New York) George Clemons: Once Jimi came into a black club and they were playing Wilson Pickett so Jimi takes it off and puts on a Bob Dylan record, "Blowin in the wind". So all the black guys standing there are saying "What are you doing?Are you crazy?" To many blacks then, Dylan sounded like a hillbilly, a redneck. And Jimi didn't care about this, so he played that record. So this guy told him," I'm going to cut your throat". So I said, "Wait a minute now! Stop!We take that record off". And I took Jimi into this other room, and I said, "Why are you doing that? You know there is gonna be trouble about that." He said, "These people in Harlem have to learn. They can't go around like this without knowing what's going on."
He was a Dylan freak. We talked about Dylan a lot, the symbolism and poetry of his lyrics and how brilliant he was. Jimi was very self-conscious about his lack of education and his speech. He was impressed by people who could speak well. That's one of the reasons why he got into Dylan, because it was very literate rock'n'roll.

Surely Dylan has a great effect on Jimi especially on lyrics. "All Long the Watchtower" is a great example. I like Jimi's version of Like A Rolling Stone too. Maybe this is the reason why Jimi carried blues into a whole new dimension you know, mixing blues with rock n roll, country or even jazz a little. What are your thoughts on this?
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBD3 wrote:
Bob also had an interesting knack for writing songs beyond his ability to properly interpret them. Look at how The Byrds turned "Mr. Tambourine Man" inside out, and obviously Jimi with "Watchtower" and "Like a Rolling Stone". Jimi also covered "Drifter's Escape" -- which is unfortunately not the greatest tune Jimi ever did, but that's okay.KBD3

I'll have to agree about Jimi's cover of "Drifter's Escape." Jimi's cover of Dylan's "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window" off 'Radio One' and later the 'BBC Sessions' has always been another of my favourites...
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Dylans not for me Reply with quote

I undrestand his influence on hendrix and like the songs of his he done,but i dont realy like dylan myself,his voice etc..,never bought or listened to him that much,just my opinion thats all,like more electric guitar solo's from hendrix. Cool
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rather like his bob-ness.amazingly clever witty song writer. My favourite bob song is Boots of Spanish leather. and I love girl from the north country. Blood on the Tracks is a good album.

I quite like is voice-its gritty and expressive but prefer the vocal style he had when he was younger..it sad he is bit dissapointing now in concert.

he was also influnced blues as well like Hendrix-but he modeled himself a lot on woodie guthrie of course-but I think he was very influenced by English folk music scene-as were simon and garfunkel.
hello people

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the same as Jimi thought about Bob....he's a genius...the best songwriter/ artist ever.

Electric LaDYLANd

bit of a homage there folks!
Christopher X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Missed that Reply with quote

Well never saw that dylan word in there at all until you said so,strange too its there,and jimi too this too right?.But then ladyland is not a normal word right,two words put together.
hello people

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sure...but still maybe a homage by Jimi to Bob Dylan.....Jimi loved Bob Dylan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: