Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - RIP Buddy Miles

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

RIP Buddy Miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: RIP Buddy Miles Reply with quote

Quote:
Buddy Miles 1947- 2008
By Michael Corcoran | Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 01:06 PM

Drummer Buddy Miles, who recorded with Jimi Hendrix as Band of Gypsys in 1970 and had a career revival in 1986 as singer in the California Raisins claymation commercials, died Tuesday night in Austin of congestive heart failure. He was 60.

Although he was born in Omaha, Neb., and lived for many years in Chicago, where he co-founded Electric Flag in 1967, Miles had moved to Austin after suffering a stroke in 2005. “He wanted to get back to music,” stepdaughter Chealsea Shahan said. “He moved to Austin for peace and harmony.” Backed by the New Orleans Social Club, Miles performed “Them Changes” at the Austin City Limits Music Festival in Sept. 2006. He also played at La Zona Rosa in October with an all-star Austin blues band.

“He was a real strong guy who overcame a lot,” said local blues guitarist Randy Pavlock, who said Miles “was like a father to me.” Pavlock was playing a club on Sixth Street two years ago when he looked up and saw Miles in the audience. “Band of Gypsys” was probably my favorite record when I was a kid,” said Pavlock, who said he felt “a friendship bond” that first night. Miles relished the role as a mentor.

A child prodigy, whose father had a jazz band, Miles was playing with Wilson Pickett in the ’60s when guitarist Mike Bloomfield asked him to form Electric Flag, a band that would fuse soul, rock and blues. Originally known for his powerhouse drumming, Miles also became known as a soulful rock singer on a million-selling 1972 live album recorded with Carlos Santana.

An enduring classic, “Them Changes” was performed Monday and Tuesday at Madison Square Garden by Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. The former Blind Faith frontmen are expected to play the song again tonight with a special dedication to their old friend.

Miles is survived by spouse Sherrilae Chambers-Miles. A memorial concert will take place March 30 at Threadgill’s on Riverside Drive.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2008/02/27/buddy_miles_1947_2008.html
Robert W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article on Buddy Miles. May he rest in peace.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Former Hendrix drummer Buddy Miles dies Reply with quote

Yea i only saw this yesterday on the net,and it was earlier in the week too.Like i did not even know he lived in texas too,as did not follow him to much realy(only having some of his work with hendrix)I had seen him on documentries and tv now and then over the years.So now its only mitch and billy left,noel and buddy passed away.

http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/080228/5/47vl.html

On a yahoo group im on too i saw a mention of this ,"In their fantastic reunion shows at Madison Square Garden, Eric Clapton and
Steve Winwood are performing Them Changes in tribute to Buddy Miles who justpassed away.

They are also doing Voodoo Chile which Winwood recorded with Jimi Hendrix as well as most of their 1969 Blind Faith LP. The performances have been inspiring many standing ovations and moving many in the audience to tears.
--
J. David Spurlock
Vanguard Productions
www.vanguardproductions.net/jackbruce

Last edited by Christopher X on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sad news. Sad Im speechless. 60 is no age.

Band of Gypsys is my favourite album and my first introduction to Hendrix.
hello people

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy Buddy...hope you find Jimi wherever you are
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Funeral Reply with quote

Anyone have info on the funeral and who turned up,like did billy cox,mitch mitchell maybe even?,or other music people. Question
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been able to gather, there was no funeral, Buddy was simply cremated. There are supposedly going to be several memorial services across the US for Buddy. There are plans for a memorial concert to be held at Threadgill's in Austin, TX on March 30th. I've heard that Billy Cox (among others) will attend.

Donations for Buddy can be sent via Pay Pal on Buddy's My Space page.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=73830587
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks blahblahwoofwoof for the info,did not know that,i thought maybe a big service or even a private one must have happened you would think.Like he had family right,or a wife and kids maybe too. Question
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for whether Buddy had a private service, I can't say. Not too long ago, my grandfather passed on; he was whisked off to the crematory in no time at all. I'm sure Buddy's wife got to say goodbye before he was cremated.

Speaking of Buddy's wife, her name is Sherrilae. She can be heard in the background on the (Soul Patrol) audio interview I posted a couple of years back.

http://www.online-discussion.com/JimiHendrix/viewtopic.php?t=274

Buddy is also survived by his step-daughter Chealsea, step-son Asa, grandson Brenden and granddaughter Mia, Niece’s Shalis, and Suquett, Nephew’s, Jay and Tony, great nieces, Brianna and Miracle, great nephew’s, Calvin and Jay, and Gino Parsons of Omaha.
Robert W

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish that Buddy Miles could have written his autobiography before he passed.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I thought i had replid to this,thanks for that info blahblahwoofwoof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: