Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - JHE North Shields

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

JHE North Shields

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: JHE North Shields Reply with quote

Memories of the day Jimi Hendrix played in Shields

Legend ... Jimi Hendrix.

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date:
23 September 2008
By Paul Myles-Kelly
GUITAR hero Jimi Hendrix's visits to North East England struck such a chord with a South Tyneside music buff he has set up a website all about them.

Mike Darling has launched an Internet site chronicling the rock legend's various appearances in the region in the mid-1960s.

They include a performance at the New Cellar Club in South Shields in February 1967.

Mr Darling, 44, of Lambley Crescent, Hebburn, is hoping more secrets will be uncovered after fans who saw him perform back then have logged on to the site, www.hendrix northeast.co.uk

Legend has it that Hendrix first came to Newcastle in late 1966, with Animals star Chas Chandler, his manager at the time. It is rumoured he even busked in Heaton, Newcastle, during that visit.

In the first few months of 1967, he performed at a host of venues in the region – including gigs in Middlesbrough, Darlington and Newcastle – with his band the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

His final appearance in the north east came in December 1967 when he headlined a show at Newcastle City Hall.

Mr Darling, a bassist with Hendrix tribute band Sundance, said: "I've been a fan of Hendrix since I was 17, when I started to learn the guitar.

"I'd love to hear from anyone with memories of his time in the region.

"I've already learned one story about his appearance at the Cellar Club. Apparently, he put his guitar through the ceiling at the venue, leaving a big hole.

"It wasn't repaired for months and became known as Jimi's Hole.

The full article contains 269 words and appears in Shields Gazette newspaper.Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 23 September 2008 3:58 PM
Source: Shields Gazette

The internet site is really interesting and well worth checking out. The adress is www.hendrixnortheast.co.uk.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story and link Georgina. I always like to see what became of the actual buildings Jimi played in. Some of the venues he played here in Chicago are gone forever, but everytime I walk past the Civic Opera House I think of him.
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I love- it such a nice website-great memobilla pictures, and fan recollections some great stories- and the some of the pics of the support band look earily contemporary....
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was really digging the story about the New Cellar Club in South Shields. The autographs and the pick were really cool. It's nice to see the venue nowadays, but it's sad to see that it's not up and running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: