Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - newbie here, long time Hendrix fan

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

newbie here, long time Hendrix fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kountzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: newbie here, long time Hendrix fan Reply with quote

I first became fully aware of Jimi Hendrix on a certain fall day, long time ago. I later learned that date was September 18th, 1970. I was about 15 years old, and a freshman at Silsbee High School, in Silsbee, Texas, a small town in South East Texas. I had turned on the CBS evening news when Walter Cronkite hit me with the stunning news that rock icon Jimi Hendrix has died that day from an apparent drug overdose.

I was stunned, to say the least. I felt this overwhelming feeling of loss. In the back of my mind I had been planning to someday explore Hendrix and his music. I wasn't much of a rock music fan. Like most other southern black kids my age, I tended to mostly listen to r & b music on the local FM station, namely KJET fm, out of Beaumont, Texas. I remember hearing my 1st Hendrix song, "hey joe' and the only Hendrix song I knew of until 1970, on KJET back in 1966. I was 11 years old then, and I remember hearing the song one day while on the sidewalk outside the classrooms at the Frank Robinson Elementary School. The school was not named after the famous baseball player, but after his GrandFather who had been the superintendant of the then still segregated black school district in Silsbee.

Knowing what I know now, man do I wish I could go back to 1966 and spend the next 4 years following Hendrix as closely as I could. It was probably for the best that I couldn't, and didn't do that. I could say more. but I'll save some for other posts. peace,

~ Kountzer ~
hello people

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how's it going?

I'm Matt from Australia. I remember when I first heard Jimi properly, probably in 1989 and it was an experience I can't really describe. All I remember was the tone and the sound of the chords. I reckon it must have been Killing Floor or something. What a song! Just freakish playing on that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: