Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Anyone got this?

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Anyone got this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonovox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Anyone got this? Reply with quote

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Albert Hall Experience, double CD

Seems to have been released on Snapper label. Track listing as follows -

Disc 1
1. Stone Free
2. Getting My Heart Back Together Again (aka Hear My Train A Comin')
3. I Don't Live Today
4. Red House
5. Foxy Lady
6. Sunshine Of Your Heart
7. Bleeding Heart
Disc 2
1. Fire
2. Little Wing
3. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
4. Room Full Of Mirrors
5. Purple Haze
6. Wild Thing
7. Star Spangled Banner
8. Star Spangled Banner And Smashing Of The Amps (bonus track)
9. Bleeding Heart (edited version/bonus track)
10. Room Full Of Mirrors (edited version/bonus track)

Anyone got it, and whats the quality like and is it worth buying?
batagy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bonovox,

Yes I have that, but on Charly label released in 2002. But I think it's the same.

The cover says it's the usual 1969-02-24 Royal Albert Hall concert recording, BUT one thing:
Actually Disc 1 Tracks 1 and Track 6-7, and all Disc 2 are from the Royal Albert Hall indeed. Disc 1 Tracks 2-5 are NOT from that show, they are from the official "The Jimi Hendrix Concert" CD.

The sound quality is mostly great, because that is a soundboard recording. However I don't suggest to buy it, it's not worth it.
If you want to have the complete Royal Albert Hall Show, check "The Last Experience" 3 CD set released on Charly, or the "An Evening With The Jimi Hendrix Experience" released on Purple Haze Records in 2005. Wink
bonovox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the 3cd set off ebay(hopefully not a copy but u pays yer money and yer takes yer chance), the listing says its brand new and sealed so I thought why not. Its the charly/snapper release and also includes some rehearsal tracks. Should be interesting.
batagy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 CD set also contains the 1969-02-18 show, but don't expect to much from that, because it's very bad audience recording. But the 1969-02-24 show is great.

I forgot to mention, but now it's late Embarassed because you've ordered the CD, but the Royal Albert Hall show can be freely downloaded in lossless from:
http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/jamz/SBDs/jh69-02-22.shnf/

The movie version is also circulated, titled "Room Full Of Hendrix", and this can be downloaded via bittorrent at:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16409
(You probably have to be registered there to open the link.)

Best regards
bonovox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my copy of the 3 cd set. Nice packaging and a decent sounding release of the Albert Hall concert. I can't quite undertand, though, why these releases still have not the sound quality of the 4 tracks that have been released previously. I'm talking about the versions of Bleeding Heart and Stone Free on Concerts cd and the versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Chile on In the West, these are still far and away better quality sound recordings of The Albert Hall concert and yet 20 years after Concerts was originally released they still can't match that sound quality on this 3 cd set. The 3 cd set I have just got has decent sound but sounds tinnier and badly mixed and distorts badly in parts where as the ones I mentioned(concerts & in the west) sound properly mixed. Do we have to wait for the Hendrix estate to get good quality sound recordings of this concert and other concerts. Seems very strange.

Also another thing that annoyed me in the past was the DVD release of Band Of Gypsies with the black and white footage of the gig. Great to see full versions with black and white footage but the sound quality again was crap. And yet the CD of Band Of Gypsies and the CD release of Live at Filmore East had great sound quality. Why didn't they bother with the sound quality on the DVD release? Makes no sense to me! Confused
VoodooGypsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonovox wrote:

Also another thing that annoyed me in the past was the DVD release of Band Of Gypsies with the black and white footage of the gig. Great to see full versions with black and white footage but the sound quality again was crap. And yet the CD of Band Of Gypsies and the CD release of Live at Filmore East had great sound quality. Why didn't they bother with the sound quality on the DVD release? Makes no sense to me! Confused

I tried to synch in the sound of the CD to the DVD footage for better quality and for some reason it won't match up. I've successfully done this before with other videos that have lousy sound but have great sound on the audio CD counterparts. I think it's just a matter of the speed settings.
bonovox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoodooGypsy wrote:
bonovox wrote:

I tried to synch in the sound of the CD to the DVD footage for better quality and for some reason it won't match up. I've successfully done this before with other videos that have lousy sound but have great sound on the audio CD counterparts. I think it's just a matter of the speed settings.

Ive done this with the unofficial Albert Hall DVD. The sound from the CD needed speeding up a fraction though. A right pain in the arse to do.
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting what you say about the Albert Hall DVD-as I don't think they ever released it in the UK. I have never seen around in the big stores nor have any other English fans I know. How wierd. I wonder why we have been deprived like this. Sad
Captain Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: RAH Movie Reply with quote

I've been aware of the movie last year when a friend of mine started to download everything he found on the net for me. It is a bootleg even if you can find some on Ebay.
Unfortunately my version is not complete i think , no footage of C# Blues..
The footage is killed by all these cheap Sykedelic effects. But i must say that version of Vooddoo child is the One for me.
Anyway it appears that a new version is ready since 3 or 4 years, Noel Redding even went to L.A to check it out and said for the first time in his life he enjoyed the Experience from an audience angle. I do hope they just
removed the weirdo lightshow stuff.
Why are we waiting ????? Because of the official estate once again.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purple jim wrote:
It will be their first Jimi Hendrix Experience release !
(Jimi, Mitch and Noel that is).

EH already released a Jimi Hendrix Experience DVD titled "Jimi Hendrix - Experience" with various footage from Blackpool, London, Paris & Sweden

http://www.authentichendrix.com/pgi-ProductSpec?622-002-006
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good?-as I have not seen good reviews of it on amazon.
bonovox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bought The Experience Hendrix DVD cos I had it on VHS and it wasn't very good. So unless its different from the video release I don't think it's worth buying.

Interesting news about the Albert Hall Concert. Be a great release if it ever gets the full official release on DVD. Especially if they package it like the latest Woodstock release. Can't wait for that one! Very Happy
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
Any good?-as I have not seen good reviews of it on amazon.

I would have to agree with Bonovox, the film isn't all that great. "Experience" was filmed in London in 1967 and is narrated by Alexis Korner. There's also a few interviews with Jimi, Mitch and Noel.

The bonus features are the real selling point for me though.. I really enjoyed "The Wind Cries Mary" & "Purple Haze" clips from Popside.

Jimi looks extremely tired and angry on the Swedish Number Nine show. He plays "Red House" & Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love on a white Gibson SG Custom.

The (1997) Dolly Dagger video in the bonus features section is awful..
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good news at least the Albert Hall is coming out. yay! Very Happy

But they haven't said anything yet on EH website though-but maybe I dont look very thorougly-where was this heard about from out of interest...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: