Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Ilse of White DVD

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Ilse of White DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Ilse of White DVD Reply with quote

A lot of people seem to like this and i was wondering if it was worth getting.

I have seen this performance before on Vhs, but I always thought Hendrix look so exhausted and seem so frustrated, that I never enjoyed it that much, although he's playing is alright. It just seemed a bit sad when he throws down his guitar at the end and walks off.

But I am I missing something here? What do you guys think of it?
i_like_my_strat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok. It has its high points but If im totally honest I don't recommend it. Its a poor concert well filmed. Hendrix is clearly exhausted and the concert seems very laboured. Not to mention all the technical difficulties he has to battle against...

If your going to buy a Hendrix DVD I suggest The Band of Gypsies. Ok, the footage is poor quality black and white, but man his playing is amazing on it. Also woodstock is pretty good - but in my opinion nothing on The Band of Gypsies.
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd have to go with jimi plays berkely..........certainly far form complete but a stellar performance (for what ya get)
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-got Band of Gypsys and Woodstock they are great. Seen Berkely on VHS its pretty good. Always thought Monterey was fantastic-even though am a fan of his later work. What are the high points in the Ilse of White performance? I havent seen it all the way through. Are the extras any good?
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spose a highlite for me is the performance of freedom.......jimi seems a little testy (teste?) cuz there are sound issues which actually add to the performance (i thought).........in fact for years i thought it was meant to be there
i_like_my_strat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine Gun is quite good, also I think Jimi sings Red House fantastically. And yes, Freedom is great. In From the Storm was brilliant, prehaps the best song in the whole concert.
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember "in from the storm" it was good but he just look in right state, it was 3 weeks before he died. I think perhaps the writing was already on the wall . v. sad Sad
In that case I may just wait till it comes down in price and get cheap, for the good tracks.
hello people

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's definitely not happy at that gig. The first time I saw it I expected him to walk off after pretty much every song. But he kept going and there is some awesome stuff there. Oh, and the Woodstock performance is incredible. He does some freakish things there. I love Bleeding Heart from the Albert Hall '69 show. Is that blues or is that blues?
bonovox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of u guys don't rate Isle Of Wight but I would recommend it. Maybe a tired performance but its worth getting just for the performance of Foxy Lady where Jimi thinks he's split his trousers. Its great viewing. Also has a brilliant version of All Along the Watchtower. If your a Hendrix fan you will like it. Very Happy
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK-got this quite cheap-about £8 so I don't mind it's not one of his better ones. But it's alright in it's own way. As an English person-it captures the particular hippy vibe in England at that time and is a good period piece in that sense.

I was particularly amused when he dedicated Machine Gun to "all the skin heads fighting in Birmingham". As that is where I was born and grew up. I guess gangs of skinheads were causing trouble at the time and must have been in the news!

Having watched it all the way through-it just seems that basicaly he is just struggling with the bad sound and that's why it seems laboured. Otherwise he seems in quite a good mood and his actual playing is good.

They say in the books that he was out of his mind back stage, saying wierd things about spaceships and stuff-but seeing him talking to people back stage he seems quite lucid and together to me.

I'd never seen live versions of Dolly Dagger, or All Along the Watchtower, or Freedom so it was good to see those. In from the Storm is probably the best song. So an interesting one.
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in from the storm.........yeh........definitely underrated to say the least

i still say the maui stuff was quite awesome, probably my fave foxy lady, lets face it, hendrix was a drug addict and he had more off days than good, but even on an off day it was loads of fun
bonovox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoppie Git wrote:
in from the storm.........yeh........definitely underrated to say the least

i still say the maui stuff was quite awesome, probably my fave foxy lady, lets face it, hendrix was a drug addict and he had more off days than good, but even on an off day it was loads of fun

Drug addict is a bit harsh. A drug user yes but there was never any proof to suggest he was addicted, meaning shooting up heroin and the like. A drug user like nearly everybody was that lived through the 60's.
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being a drug addict never stopped Keith Richards! He always seemed to be pretty good on stage, even though he was being carried about everywhere in the 70's.

Well- the way I see- apart from drug addiction being a disease- it was the culture of the times. Those on here that lived in the 60's may disagree-but it seems most young people did drugs in 60's it was discovered then as a culture, it was fashionable to do them. If some of his friends, thought Jimi was way too wasted - what could they say? "maybe you should give up drugs man-and oh - whilst your at it- can you pass me the drugs?"

What bothers me now are young stars who do it-knowing all the people who died of it. At least you can say-they in the 60's werent fully aware of the consequences.

In England we have this guy called Pete Docherty who's meant to be musician, but basicaly he's just famous for doing crack and being in court all the time. No-one even heard of him until he starting going out with Kate Moss the model. The media WORSHIP him. Hendrix and Brian Jones are often dubbed in the british media-"the pete docherty of their day" now. The blokes a prat, and it annoys the hell out of me they can talk about him in the same breath as Hendrix and Brian Jones-who were truly talented.
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe..true Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: