Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Dagger Records Bootlegs

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Dagger Records Bootlegs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Dagger Records Bootlegs Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any of these? They're available through the Experience Hendrix website. They look interesting, particularly the Band Of Gypsys rehearsal tapes, but you never know with these archival releases...
Captain Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good sound quality, no rip off except the concept (Hendrix Estate - but better an Hendrix Estate than an Alan Douglas conception of the world)
By the way try to find the STAGE Boxset , i heard about these 3 live concerts........... Razz
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the STAGES boxset the last thing Douglas did before 'the family' took over Hendrix' estate? I don't think I've seen it around, but I'll have a more earnest look in the 2nd hand shops in Tokyo.

About the Dagger Records bootlegs, do you have any recommendations? Are the demo collections any good?
tikigod1989

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: ............ Reply with quote

how are they bootlegs if there offically released? does not make sense to me
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official bootlegs... like jumbo shrimp....
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ............ Reply with quote

tikigod1989 wrote:
how are they bootlegs if there offically released? does not make sense to me

I think it refers to the recording quality, rather than the legality of it. I guess Experience Hendrix figure if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
highway_chile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the studio stuff on Dagger is pretty good quality...thanks to Eddie Kramer and access to the masters... "Hear My Music" would be my favorite...
the live material is primarily audience recordings...but some good stuff..."Dear Mr. Fantasy" from the Fillmore in '68 and the 18 minute "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" from Oakland in '69 are some nice gems!
batagy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite Dagger is Morning Symphony Ideas. The first two tracks together is a 40 minute studio jam with only Jimi and Miles, it's just killer for me. Oooh!

Here My Music is also very good, for example unedited version of Trashman from the crap Alan Douglas 1976 Midnight Lightning album. Ezy Ryder jam is also fine.
VoodooGypsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Eddie will ever tackle Woke Up This Morning.....?
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont much care for 'the family'.
batagy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoopieCat wrote:

But it's much-much better than Alan Douglas was. Of course the family also makes some wrong things, for example Live At Woodstock 2CD 1999 release has many edits. But overall, the family releases are excellent in my opinion.
Eddie Kramer mixing is also very excellent, however there is one really bad thing, almost all the Experience Hendrix CDs are mastered too loud volume. If you grab tracks to wav, and you see the tracks in a wav editor, you will see the cutting on the upper and lower level. So the music is distorted in many cases.
batagy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoodooGypsy wrote:
I wonder if Eddie will ever tackle Woke Up This Morning.....?

Yeah, that would be really good!
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batagy wrote:
WhoopieCat wrote:

But it's much-much better than Alan Douglas was. Of course the family also makes some wrong things, for example Live At Woodstock 2CD 1999 release has many edits. But overall, the family releases are excellent in my opinion.
Eddie Kramer mixing is also very excellent, however there is one really bad thing, almost all the Experience Hendrix CDs are mastered too loud volume. If you grab tracks to wav, and you see the tracks in a wav editor, you will see the cutting on the upper and lower level. So the music is distorted in many cases.

Im not really talking about the CD's....im guessing Eddie Kramer puts a hell of a lot of the work in to them....I'm talking more about the dvd's. From the ones I've seen they havent really gone on a mission to brin something new. Im comparing these releases to the Who's The Kid's Are Alright. Painstaking effort went in to discover new and lost prints to try and remaster the fim into the best it could be...and the extras are absolutely superb.

The Hendrix dvd's seem to just appear as they were found. I dunno if Im making sense, but for example with the Hendrix at Berkeley dvd there seems to have been no effort to make any mini documentaries on it or even an effort to seek out the complete concert film. But maybe that's just me. I'm a completist and wanna see it all!!!
batagy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoopieCat wrote:
Im not really talking about the CD's....im guessing Eddie Kramer puts a hell of a lot of the work in to them....I'm talking more about the dvd's. From the ones I've seen they havent really gone on a mission to brin something new. Im comparing these releases to the Who's The Kid's Are Alright. Painstaking effort went in to discover new and lost prints to try and remaster the fim into the best it could be...and the extras are absolutely superb.

The Hendrix dvd's seem to just appear as they were found. I dunno if Im making sense, but for example with the Hendrix at Berkeley dvd there seems to have been no effort to make any mini documentaries on it or even an effort to seek out the complete concert film. But maybe that's just me. I'm a completist and wanna see it all!!!

Yes, I agree with DVDs. I also would like to see complete performances. The Berkeley is only DVD version of the early documentary movie. The tracks are missings, out of order, and which are there, are heavily edited. However the sound quality is excellent for Berkeley.

Or for example the Jimi Hendrix - Experience DVD. It contains two tracks from the famous 1969.01.09 Stockholm concert. Why they don't release the complete footage? It's exists for sure.
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batagy wrote:
WhoopieCat wrote:

Yes, I agree with DVDs. I also would like to see complete performances. The Berkeley is only DVD version of the early documentary movie. The tracks are missings, out of order, and which are there, are heavily edited. However the sound quality is excellent for Berkeley.

Or for example the Jimi Hendrix - Experience DVD. It contains two tracks from the famous 1969.01.09 Stockholm concert. Why they don't release the complete footage? It's exists for sure.

Yes yes oh my god yes I completely agree! The extra performances on that dvd where quizical! Instead of showing a range from across his career, there were several performances of Wild Thing from the early days for some strange reason and that Stockholm performance which is an odd show. I wouldve liked some range! There's sooooo much good stuff out there....

God, I complain too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: