Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Page V Hendrix polls

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Page V Hendrix polls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Page V Hendrix polls Reply with quote

Anyone ever see these on the internet?

I know us Hendrix fans are bound to be biased but I can't believe the amount of people who think Page is better! He's not even a close second in my book (although I really like is playing!). What about Clapton, Beck SRV??

I'm astounded at the ignorance of people who seem to think Hendrix is just about feed back and setting his guitar on fire..then when you try and say that Page is a plagurist they round up on you and say you hate him. Didums.. (im sure he's a lovely man!)

Sorry just had to have a small rant there.
bonovox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Page V Hendrix polls Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
Anyone ever see these on the internet?

I know us Hendrix fans are bound to be biased but I can't believe the amount of people who think Page is better! He's not even a close second in my book (although I really like is playing!). What about Clapton, Beck SRV??

I'm astounded at the ignorance of people who seem to think Hendrix is just about feed back and setting his guitar on fire..then when you try and say that Page is a plagurist they round up on you and say you hate him. Didums.. (im sure he's a lovely man!)

Sorry just had to have a small rant there.

No one even on the same planet as Jimi, I don't think anyone is. Zeppelins music bored me I'm afraid, Page is ok but I'm not really a fan. The others you mention Clapton...another boring bas#ard his music sucks...Jeff Beck.....mmmmm hi ho silver lining enough said......and Stevie Ray Vaughan....yeah ok but he was just a poor Jimi impersonator. Its not just Hendrix's guitar playing that set him apart but he was also a great songwriter as well. Never be another like him and anyone with an ounce of sense will know he is the greatest guitar player that ever walked this planet! Wink

Oh just to add...if anyone disagrees with you...just play them the studio version of Voodoo Chile(the greatest guitar sound ever put down on tape) they will soon shut up! Very Happy
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Clapton is boring nowadays..I think he tries to be too commercial-but I've seen footage of live Cream concerts where he is really great and interviews of late where he just sits there and plays guitar and he's really good. I think he's quite a soulful player. SRV I like him when he did his own stuff and wasnt impersonating Hendrix.

Jeff Beck is a great player- judging him by Hi Ho Silver linning is like judging Chuck Berry by My Ding a Ling!
bonovox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Berry's best song wasn't it....my ding a ling......anyway once you have heard Hendrix's version of Johnny B.Goode and then regretfully hear Chuck Berrys original you kinda think wow is that the same song???? No not a fan of Jeff Beck but there ya go.
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Page was a good acoustic guitar player-but you have to bear in mind he plagurized from Bert Jansch with his acoustic playing. Kind of in the way SRV copied Hendrix. Led Zeps Black Mountain side-is note for note Bert Jansch's Blackwaterside. Then page took on that style. So yes Page had the skill to play like Bert Jansch-but that's not saying he is Bert Jansch. Who was kind of seen as the Hendrix of the acoustic guitar. The famous polychord intro to Stairway was taken from a song by a band called Spirit. Not to mention Willie Dixon and Jeff Beck who were also plagurized by Zep! I think Willie Dixon won some royaltys from them eventualy!

Also you have to remember with Zep that John Paul Jones did a lot the arrangements as well. Who was a session arranger b4 zep. And robert plant wrote most of the lyrics.

Sorry it sounds like I am dimishing Page's talents I am not-he is a top guitarist-just pointing out few facts ppl don't consider in thier blind Led zep worship. no offence ment.

Rory Gallagher-yes is very good. Love his playing. Seen the live in Cork concert on vhs. He was fab. V. sad when he passed away several years ago now. I think he died on the operating table having a liver transplant....
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is an area i am more than qualified to comment on, having been a huge led hed, hendrix fan, and general all round guitar gods kinda guy for a long long time

also, as i mentioned before, i've pretty much seen all the guitar greats through the years, most of them multiple times, and most of them up close

so the answer is.....................lol

sooner or later you just knock off all the "who's better" or "who's the greatest" nonsense to begin with and just enjoy the different stylings and qualities of each one. i've never seen anyone take more abouse in forums like this than eddie van halen...........it's fun stuff..............good act.....................saw him in 82, 90, and 05.............had a blast

page and hendrix are two totally different animals, i just like what they both do,got a shitload of live hendrix stuff and i have hundreds and hundreds of live zep shows..............and on a few of those he blows hendrix away, but it's a different thing completely................i'll also say that of the guitar gods both hendrix and page put more emotion into playing the guitar than any others

i admit, though i saw stevie ray twice, he never really impressed me..........until just recently when my brother showed me a dvd of an old stevie show in toronto way back when.............just awesome awesome stuff, not hendrix impersonation, kick ass blues based guitar..................if you are a guitar player fan at all you really have to see this, and i'd make anyone a copy if i can................truly great stuff and it will change your mind about stevie

plus people have better/worse performances on any given night.................the first time i saw slash and GNR open up for aerosmith back in 88 he absolutely blew me away, smokin, i had to turn to my cousin who was with me and say "is this guy crankin or what"............and yeh................he was.................saw them again the very next night, not as good

page isn't hendrix and hendrix isn't beck and clapton isn't eddie and zappa isn't satriani and wa wa wa

just enjoy each one for his own style and uniqueness

you also need to remember the era and equipment these people had when they were around............hey, remember when guitars had cords?........and they actually tuned their guitars between songs?...................wow................where'd that shit go..........and don't get stuck in any particular era too, listen to as much of everything as you can (without copping a tude)............otherwise you really will miss lots

now if you'll excuse me i have to grab some dweezil zappa tickets at 10 Wink
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your right can compare it is pointless really-I just get annoyed at the amount of ignorance that is often particularly displayed by ppl in these polls ....I think a lot of them are 15 yr old zep fans who don't know much..

I'll just have to get over it.. there are more important things in life.
Whoppie Git

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's fun and, well, people do get passionate

and yeh.............they are a bunch of 15 year old dorks most of the time, but it's nice to see them enjoying the music we all love for the first time.

i will say that in the days of my youth my interest in jimmy page made me miss out on a lot of music that i listen to now, and made me miss out on seeing a few bands i wish i had seen, cuz they aren't with us anymore

thank God i saw alvin lee all those times though.............lol
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvin Lee is great! Good you got to see him. But prob good you got to Zep at their peak.

yeah i've seen Page( post zep), but also seen Leslie West, Buddy Guy, Ike Turner Ritchie Blackmore, Angus Young (AC/DC, Tony Iommi (B.Sabbath) Brian Setzer (more rockabilly tho) also seen Scotty Moore ( not at his best now sadly.) Hmm John Sykes + Scott Gorham (ex thin lizzy).

Must say Blackmore really stood out-he only played a couple of songs on electric but he was magic. Leslie West is bloody excellent. If anyone gets that chance 2 go and see him go-also a v.cheap gig.
bonovox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been listening again after a long time to UFO live Strangers in the Night CD and its reminded of what a great guitarist Michael Schenker was. Especially in his UFO days, always loved the sound of his guitar and there is no better example of his guitar playing than that album. True brilliance! UFO were absolute shite after he left. Very Happy
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendrix was a genius ! All the others are way down. End of the story of life... but i'ts quicker than the wink of an eye ! That's the sad part about Jimi's death.
hello people

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other rock guitar player comes close to Hendrix. A lot of Zep stuff is ripped off Jimi.

People like Robert Johnson and Django Reinhardt were freaks...but they were different kinds of players.

Hendrix is streets...suburbs...cities...countries...galaxies and universes ahead of the next best.
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Page V Hendrix polls Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:

I'm astounded at the ignorance of people who seem to think Hendrix is just about feed back and setting his guitar on fire..then when you try and say that Page is a plagurist they round up on you and say you hate him.

Page is the best... the best at stealing material from old blues men !

You should give this link to all the people that think that Page isn't a plagurist...

http://pyzeppelin.free.fr/download.htm
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you got your tourettes syndrome sorted out we'd understand what you are trying to say here...?
hello people

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FUCK U ALL Reply with quote

powerofsoul wrote:
YOU GUYS SUCK BALLS U FUCKING BASH LED ZEP U BASH CLAPTON AND NOW SRV FUCK OFF THEY ARE ALL GREAT IN MY BOOK SCREW OFF HENDRIX IS THE BEST AND ALWAYS WILLL BE PAGE ISNT CLOSE BUT ISNT FUCKING BORING SCREW U WHO SAID THAT

HENDRIX IS #1

Very soulful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: