Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Quentin Tarantino To Direct Hendrix Biopic

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Quentin Tarantino To Direct Hendrix Biopic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Quentin Tarantino To Direct Hendrix Biopic Reply with quote

Quote:
25/04/2006 02:24

Quentin Tarantino has reportedly signed on to direct the long-awaited Jimi Hendrix biopic. The Pulp Fiction movie-maker is huge fan of the script of the film, according to producers at Dragonslayer Films, and will team up with Hendrix's brother Leon to tell the story of the guitar great's life. Tarantino will have full access to Hendrix's music and likeness when he starts shooting is scheduled to begin later this year (06) in Seattle, Washington; New York, Toronto, Canada; and London. Senior executive producer Elle Von Lear has access to interviews and live footage of the rock legend, which will be incorporated in the film.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/tarantino%20tackles%20the%20purple%20haze%20in%20hendrix%20biopic_25_04_2006
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds promising! Tarantino is a good film maker-he certainly doesn't skimp on the sex violence and drugs and he's quite creative..so hopefully he won't present a totaly sanitised version of Hendrix's life. It may be intersesting...

Is it a documentry or is it going to be a film though its not really clear..

The (v.few) feature films made of Hendrix life in the past have generaly been totaly APPALLING. There was one blink and you missed film where Devon Wilson was depicted as a white woman-can you believe that!!! Just dreadful.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope it's good. I just hope that Tarantino doesn't go overboard with the drug scene like Oliver Stone did on "The Doors" movie. I'm not saying I want an antiseptic film; I just want the film to be more about Jimi's genius than about how he was some tragic character.

Like Chas Chandler said, "when I think of Jimi, I think of him with a smile on his face, because he was full of fun, all the time."

I think it's going to be a feature film because there were some rumblings earlier about Lenny Kravitz playing the part of Jimi. Here's the article.

I agree, the biopics that have been made about Jimi thus far are absolute shite, especially the Showtime film, but I own it on DVD anyway.. LOL Wink
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the "Ain't It Cool" news website.

Quote:
Info Update on Tarantino and that whole Purple Haze of rumors!
Hey folks, Harry here. I know you folks have been seeing bullshit rumors about Quentin Tarantino and a Jimi Hendrix Biopic. It's appeared on the New York Post's PAGE SIX, Yahoo and Various Music News sites... and all around the web. Well... tis total bullshit. When Quentin came over to chat tonight - I asked him if he'd heard the rumors about his next film project after he finishes GRINDHOUSE. When I said he was rumored to be making the Purple Haze of Biopics, he just began shaking his head. "Complete Fabrication." "There's not even an iota of truth to it." When I told him it was all over the web, we both began laughing. Total Lie. So what is he working on? Frankly - QT fest isn't about interrogating Quentin, it's about celebrating older films like tonight's triple bill of THE OUTFIT, DION BROTHERS and THE MUTHERS. However, we did learn tonight that Quentin has been working on a book of Film Reviews of 70's Kung Fu Films. He says not to expect it anytime soon, that it's just something he does in his in-between moments and has been working on for quite some time. Other than that, he's gearing up to start shooting his segment of GRINDHOUSE - and for tonight - that's all the news that's fit to print regarding Quentin.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23154

I don't know what to believe anymore. Rolling Eyes
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ho what fun and games-we'll just have to see what happens! I thought it was a bit good to be true when they said Tarantino had the rights to all music for the film. I imagine the estate will have a lot to say about that and how they are portraying Hendrix's image..

There have been some good biopics out in recent years-Ray Charles was good, and the Johnny Cash one. I though Val Kilmer did a good job as Jim Morrison-even if the movie was largely inaccurate. So its about time someone did a good film about Hendrix.

Lenny Kravitz as Hendrix I can't see- i know their are similarities but he's not an actor...they just need to get a really good actor who can capture Hendrix's character convincingly- that is the actors craft after all.

IMO I think they should partly base it on the David Henson book (with something else more accurate)-scuse me while I kiss the sky--it really captured a sense of the times-what its like to be a 60's person-and more importantly it really brought to life the characters in Hendrix's inner circle and what their scene was like or could have been like so to speak...
hello people

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...the movies about Jimi have been very bad. Hopefully Tarantino will do a good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: