Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - What's the level of love for Jimi in the general community?

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

What's the level of love for Jimi in the general community?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhobb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: What's the level of love for Jimi in the general community? Reply with quote

The reason I'm asking is this: a couple of weeks ago the results of a music poll were published. It was called "Australia's Favourite Album" and it was run by the ABC, the Australian equivalent of the BBC. People could vote for their faves, and from the results the ABC compiled a Top 100. What astonished me (and pissed me off more than somewhat) was that not a single Hendrix album appeared in the Top 100 !!. It can't be due to an ignorance of the musical era because Dark Side of the Moon was #1.

So, what's going on? Isn't it "cool" to dig Jimi anymore? How do today's teenagers feel about Hendrix's music, or the thirty-somethings who were born after Jimi's death, for that matter?

What do people think is the level of love for Jimi in the general musical community?

Thanks.[/b]
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly all the trendy artists of the day are always going to get the first look in those sorts of programmes. Otherwise they tend not to get the viewing figures.

There was a similar programme in England recently and AYE album was in the top 20 I think.

The number one album was radiohead with ok computer which I think was a genuinely good album-I was totaly shocked I expected it to be someone like Madonna or someone totaly commercial as per normal.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: There wrong Reply with quote

Well thats there opinion or the voters etc..,but he should of had some of his albums realy in there.I thought it was still cool to dig jimi and always will for me realy,and im shure many others too ,old and young.
And i think some teenagers realy like jimi if they play guitar or like blues/rock/funk etc..,many others im shure would know the name,but the 30's my age group i think would be far larger and many would like jimi too,like me.
And the level of love in the general comunity i think is good,many guitar players and singer,writers know of him,like him and praise him in magazines,books,tv,etc..,and as long as people like good guitar playing jimi hendrix will live on forever. Cool
FSM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fourteen year old Jimi Hendrix, and classic rock and blues fan, I can safly say that there is a lacking in love for jimi because so many kids seem to be jumping on the emo bandwagon. I get laughed at for wearing a Jimi shirt, or hell even a bad religion or DK shirt.

Classic rock music just isn't aspopular as it was. Damn, if only emo was better.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Forget them Reply with quote

So what if they laugh i say,just you liking hendrix is good and thats enough realy,maybe they will come around,if not,they can keep there emo music realy,we all have differnt tastes,maybe you will find some that like hendrix too around,if not that dose not matter to i say,just you keep liking hendrix and thats cool enough. Cool
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSM wrote:
As a fourteen year old Jimi Hendrix, and classic rock and blues fan, I can safly say that there is a lacking in love for jimi because so many kids seem to be jumping on the emo bandwagon. I get laughed at for wearing a Jimi shirt, or hell even a bad religion or DK shirt.

Well, when I got into Hendrix in the early 1980's any sort of guitar music was not popular at all- let alone emo metal or whatever you call it, it was all new romantic music and synthesiser based dance music and (although people at the time didnt cotton on at all for some strange reason), most of the bands had come from the gay london club scene. I was considered a total wierdo basicly for liking Jimi Hendrix-I even got bullied about it at school for a while. But every generation has to have it's new thing. I look back now I think how hilarious it was that all my girlfriends were totaly in love with George Michael who turned out to be gay. and that all those hit songs that Boy George had actualy transpired to be about his relationship with his drummer...yes what a bizarre era. So I think you will probably wind up getting the last laugh.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the 80's....what a strange time that was. I must say though, I did like to listen to Hip-Hop in the eighties. Public Enemy, RUN D.M.C., Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD etc. etc.. Now I'd rather stab myself with a rusty screwdriver than listen to the crap that passes for rap these days.

I have to agree about the lack of great guitar driven music in the 80's, the only real highlights for me were Prince, SRV, Dire Straits & The Police.

FSM - Don't worry about those emo kids, they'll grow out of it, eventually.
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="blahblahwoofwoof"]

I have to agree about the lack of great guitar driven music in the 80's, the only real highlights for me were Prince, SRV, Dire Straits & The Police.

quote]

And accept for Prince at that time, even they would have been considered old men by young people then. U2 were ok, they were up and coming at the time. I remember Bono then, when he was young with his mullet hairstyle!
bonovox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
Mostly all the trendy artists of the day are always going to get the first look in those sorts of programmes. Otherwise they tend not to get the viewing figures.

There was a similar programme in England recently and AYE album was in the top 20 I think.

The number one album was radiohead with ok computer which I think was a genuinely good album-I was totaly shocked I expected it to be someone like Madonna or someone totaly commercial as per normal.

Radioheads OK Computer deserves to be top of any poll. Fantastic album only bettered by U2's Acthung Baby. Jimi's AYE and Electric Ladyland deserve to be top 10 in any music poll cos of the impact they have had on modern music. Anyway who cares about polls. Probably the same mentioned Aussie poll would rate Steve Vai as the greatest guitarist ever and we all know that would be a load of crap! Very Happy
bonovox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Georgina"]
blahblahwoofwoof wrote:

quote]

And accept for Prince at that time, even they would have been considered old men by young people then. U2 were ok, they were up and coming at the time. I remember Bono then, when he was young with his mullet hairstyle!

Hey U2 were great in the 80's. Probably the only great band around then. They got even better in the 90's but unfortunatley in the 2000's have become obsessed with being popular with everybody especially chart music fans and their music kind of bores me now. Bono's a bit of a dipshit now especially seeing as he seems more interested in saving the world than actually making great music. Sad really.

As for Prince, great guitarist but he never played it enough. He made some good music.
Robert W

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Jimi Hendrix nut since 1982.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Since the 80's Reply with quote

Well dont realy know the exact year and not as early as 1982 im shure,like i may have known of him i think.Like my brother was listening to him around the early 80's,and remember being in high school in 1987 and liking hendrix the most and SRV,cream too. Cool

Last edited by Christopher X on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
hello people

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rough breakdown:

90% people ignorant about Jimi and consider him a curio druggo hippy
5% people respect but don't know much about him
3% people respect him and know why he's important
1% people love respect know etc
1% people actually knew him in real life
Robert W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello people,

You nailed it right on the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: