Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Favorite Hendrix Album

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Favorite Hendrix Album
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Hendrix Album
Are You Experience
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Axis Bold as Love
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Electric Ladyland
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
First Rays of the Raising Sun
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

tikigod1989

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Favorite Hendrix Album Reply with quote

what is yours

A. Are you experinced
B. axis bold as love
C. electric ladyland
D. first rays of the raising sun

I would have to A Very Happy
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I love them all... but Axis is my fav!!!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them all, too. The Hendrix album that I always recommend to people that haven't really heard him is Electric Ladyland.
AlexG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all great, but my favourite might just be Axis:Bold as love, very closely followed by Electric Ladyland. Are you experienced is a good rock album, but it's just a little too simple for my liking, whereas FROTNRS is too incosistant. Don't get me wrong i love ezy rider, freedom, dolly dgger etc., however it is a posthumous album and you can tell jimi never finished it properly. some songs are very weak since jimi never had time to finish them.
First rays would've been my favourite if hendrix had completed it..
stratomaster_again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's between are you experienced and Electic ladyland.. they're nigh on perfect.

Quote:
The Hendrix album that I always recommend to people that haven't really heard him is Electric Ladyland.

I'd say Are you experienced, because this has so many hits most of which are shorter and more concise... whereas EL DUDE! that's like someone who's never listened to the beatles before and telling them to get Sg peppers.. pretty daunting
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratomaster_again wrote:
I'd say Are you experienced, because this has so many hits most of which are shorter and more concise... whereas EL DUDE! that's like someone who's never listened to the beatles before and telling them to get Sg peppers.. pretty daunting

I see your point, but I got into the Beatles because of Sgt. Pepper's, actually. I'd never cared for them as a teenager, but someone played me the 25th anniversary CD edition, and finally I got it. I still have a very limited appreciation for their pre-Rubber Soul stuff, with Abbey Road and the White Album duking it out for my all time favourite.
EXP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favs:
1. Electric Ladyland
2. Axis: Bold As Love
3. Are You Experienced
4. First Rays Of the New Rising Sun
TheLoneliestMonk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have overlooked some one of his most outstanding recordings...Band Of Gypsys.

His playing is absolutely outstanding on this recording and his band supports him in a much different fashion. Bill Cox/Buddy Miles were much funkier than Noel Redding/Mitch Mitchell and much more in the pocket which brought out another side to his playing. I have the sense that in The Experience Jimi was carrying the other two players whereas with Band Of Gypsys the rhythm section was solid enough to let him play freely without having to worry about whether or not the rhythm section was going to be there to support him.

Machine Gun is some of the most profound guitar ever recorded and his playing on Power Of Soul is absolutely insane, in fact he is inspired throughout. I think his entire body of work was divinely inspired but I thought I would throw this album in the mix as well since no has made mention of it yet.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoneliestMonk wrote:
You have overlooked some one of his most outstanding recordings...Band Of Gypsys.

His playing is absolutely outstanding on this recording and his band supports him in a much different fashion. Bill Cox/Buddy Miles were much funkier than Noel Redding/Mitch Mitchell and much more in the pocket which brought out another side to his playing. I have the sense that in The Experience Jimi was carrying the other two players whereas with Band Of Gypsys the rhythm section was solid enough to let him play freely without having to worry about whether or not the rhythm section was going to be there to support him.

Machine Gun is some of the most profound guitar ever recorded and his playing on Power Of Soul is absolutely insane, in fact he is inspired throughout. I think his entire body of work was divinely inspired but I thought I would throw this album in the mix as well since no has made mention of it yet.

I think the good Captain restricted it to studio stuff. Another thing I love about Jimi is that he treated the studio and live shows as completely different animals. I love both.

About the rhythm sections, I think you're selling Mitch Mitchell a bit short. In the Experience, Mitch's drumming kind of challenged Jimi whereas Buddy provides that nice, solid foundation for Jimi to jam over. I think Charles Shaar Murray put it best when he said that when you listen to one, you miss the other. It would've been nice if he could've found someone that combined both sides of the coin. Unfortunately, Vinnie Colaiuta was a bit young...
TheLoneliestMonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see studio only!

I find it difficult to choose since it would be like selecting your favorite Van Gogh painting. Jimi's records collectively were like one incredible tapestry of beauty. They were all outstanding for different reasons and that is a testement to his creativity. He grew and evolved in different directions with each succesive recording.

Are You Experienced has got to be the most outstanding debut recordings of all time, a complete masterpiece. Axis:Bold As Love was more eccentric and Electric Ladyland was a vast landscape of sound and color. Everything that followed was an exploration of funk which I believe would inevitably have lead to an emphasis on jazz.

You are correct that he treated his studio and live output as entirely different beasts. There's nothing worse than going to see a band perform live only to hear them recreate their studio recordings verbatim.

I am selling Mitch Mitchell a bit short on the creative end though his timing was atrocious. I think working with Buddy Miles was refreshing for Jimi but inevitably Jimi longed for the looser jazzier feel that Mitch Mitchell provided. Had he been a stronger player he could have been rock music's answer to Elvin Jones. Unfortunately he wasn't a tight enough player to fulfill that end but I can't imagine those initial recordings without him.

Jimi and Vinnie that I would like to have seen!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoneliestMonk wrote:
I am selling Mitch Mitchell a bit short on the creative end though his timing was atrocious. I think working with Buddy Miles was refreshing for Jimi but inevitably Jimi longed for the looser jazzier feel that Mitch Mitchell provided. Had he been a stronger player he could have been rock music's answer to Elvin Jones. Unfortunately he wasn't a tight enough player to fulfill that end but I can't imagine those initial recordings without him.

Jimi and Vinnie that I would like to have seen!

I agree with you about Mitch's timing, but Keith Moon wasn't much of a time keeper either. Bonzo was pretty loose, too. But quite frankly, I'd much rather listen to them than Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy - perfect timing but robotic feel. That's what I like about Vinnie, tight and creative.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a poll... Place your vote!
maniac

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard decision. hmm. well, i think it's are you experienced. my first hendrix album, opened my eyes.
kanakaris

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Band Of Gypsys and Live At Fillmore East !
Can anyone start a poll on : favourite bootleg ?
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all but my favorite is First Rays of the New Risin' Sun (which was originally released under the name of two albums : Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge). Only imagine what Jimi could have done if he had lived longer ! Thanks Monica and the two ambulance guys from London !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: