Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Favorite Hendrix Album

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Favorite Hendrix Album
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Hendrix Album
Are You Experience
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Axis Bold as Love
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Electric Ladyland
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
First Rays of the Raising Sun
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoopieCat wrote:
Aww why not? You're a mod now! And it gives you something to do while you wait for someone to post here.

I'll wait, I'm Cool.

So you guys, what's your favorite Hendrix album ?
EyesandImagination

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm excited by Jimi's later work, I'd have to go with Electric Ladyland as Jimi's most realized, comprehensive album. I feel that if Jimi had lived, First Rays of the New Rising Sun would have had, among completed mixes of most of the tracks, a polished version of Hey Baby (New Rising Sun), a properly recorded version of Scorpio Woman, and some new songs Jimi didn't get to write: No way was First Rays finished by September 1970.
i_like_my_strat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a tough choice between first rays and Electric ladyland, but electric ladyland does it for me.
Its probably the most amazing album ive ever heard.....1983 is the possibly the greatest sog ever recorded, it has so much depth to it...its simply mindblowing.
LesPaul59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough choice for me between electric ladyland and are you experienced but are you won. I love that album every song on it is a hit. Well to me at least.
VoodooGypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with Ladyland. Jimi had more control over the production on this one now that Chas was out of the picture. It was also a little more diversified. It wasn't all psychadelic and having guests like Winwood, Cassidy and Mason certainly helped.
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoodooGypsy wrote:
I go with Ladyland. Jimi had more control over the production on this one now that Chas was out of the picture.
The problem wasn't Chas, it was Jeffrey (I really wonder why his plane suddenly exploded in 1971?).
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Chas was a problem, but his 3 minute per song influence wasnt there anymore. Jimmy was more free to experiment how he wanted to.
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but he did some great 3 minutes songs like Foxy Lady, Up From the skies, etc. Anymay in concert his songs where way longer than the original recording.

Say Hi to Pope Ronald who was starting to like me. Laughing
WhoopieCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOOL EXPERIENCE wrote:
yes but he did some great 3 minutes songs like Foxy Lady, Up From the skies, etc. Anymay in concert his songs where way longer than the original recording.

Say Hi to Pope Ronald who was starting to like me. Laughing
\

Yes, but he was more free to do what he wanted with Electric Ladyland, that was the point. And things live were much longer, cos he was in charge to experiment.
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoopieCat wrote:
Yes, but he was more free to do what he wanted with Electric Ladyland, that was the point. And things live were much longer, cos he was in charge to experiment.
In french it's called a «pléonasme» !
kountzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAnd of gypsies is my favorite. Electric lady is cool, axis, experience. Band of gypsies though...machine gun was some of the best guitar ever recorded. I'll have to go back and 'listen to the power of soul'. Whenever I listen to band of gypsies I primarily focus of the 2 song suite 'who knows?' and 'machine gun'. The whole album is good though.

I loved mitch mitchell drums. He has this sort of elvin jones thing going, as exampled on songs like '6 was 9'. Buddy Miles definitely inspired jimi to new heights on band of gypsies. I am no musician, and I don't really understand the technical arguments about time keeping and all that.

Great musician. I wish Jimi coul of lived longer. Had he done so I can imagine him playing some jazz fusion with Billy Cobham, or George Duke, perhaps with Stanley Clarke on bass. Wouldn't that have been something.

I saw geo. duke and billy cobham once at a jazz club in houston. They had this white dude on guitar, who was a great guitarist in his own right. This guitarist was a big fan of Hendrix. In fact, he supposedly had a turqoise ring that once belonged to Jimi. The guitarist I am talking about died in the mid 70s, also. Anyone by chance know whom I am talking about? He recorded some with Cobham, so I guess I could research in that direction. Just curious.

DB aka Kountzer
kountzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kountzer wrote:
BAnd of gypsies is my favorite. Electric lady is cool, axis, experience. Band of gypsies though...machine gun was some of the best guitar ever recorded. I'll have to go back and 'listen to the power of soul'. Whenever I listen to band of gypsies I primarily focus of the 2 song suite 'who knows?' and 'machine gun'. The whole album is good though.

I loved mitch mitchell drums. He has this sort of elvin jones thing going, as exampled on songs like '6 was 9'. Buddy Miles definitely inspired jimi to new heights on band of gypsies. I am no musician, and I don't really understand the technical arguments about time keeping and all that.

Great musician. I wish Jimi coul of lived longer. Had he done so I can imagine him playing some jazz fusion with Billy Cobham, or George Duke, perhaps with Stanley Clarke on bass. Wouldn't that have been something.

I saw geo. duke and billy cobham once at a jazz club in houston. They had this white dude on guitar, who was a great guitarist in his own right. This guitarist was a big fan of Hendrix. In fact, he supposedly had a turqoise ring that once belonged to Jimi. The guitarist I am talking about died in the mid 70s, also. Anyone by chance know whom I am talking about? He recorded some with Cobham, so I guess I could research in that direction. Just curious.

DB aka Kountzer

Tommy Bolin

DB
KOOL EXPERIENCE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the answer. He had the ring when he died and still had it when he was buried. A lot of real guitarists considere him a better guitarist then Blackmore. He was a member of Deep Purple Mark IV. Just listen to the album comme Taste the Band !
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've narrowed my favorite Hendrix albums down to two:

MAXOOM & CHILD OF THE NOVELTY

I know, bad joke... guess those are a bit too posthumous.

Band of Gypsies is my pick. Improvisation is one thing, but there are licks on there that I've never heard before or since. In blues based music, particularly live stuff, there's a pretty tight rotation of riff recycle going on. What makes it fresh and new, is the energy and spirit added in that can make it sound like the first time you heard it. I think that's why SRV was considered a phenom. But on Band of Gypsies, you get both. The old language is spoken with fresh energy & spirit, AND some new phrases are brought to the table.
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Since Band of Gypsies was live, a lot of that stuff was improvised on the spot. I know that doesn't say anything new about live Hendrix material, but there are moments and phrases of brilliance and originality during that show. Also, wouldn't most agree that the other shows from that evening, later released, are disappointing in comparison?

I like all Hendrix albums/recordings. He was a studio geek like Les Paul, and the studio stuff is amazing too. However, to me, there is something very special about what could happen when he was inspired live. At the point of Band of Gypsies, the guitar smashing & burning era was over. The real excitement of the live performance was in what would happen musically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: