Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Jimi's Tone

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Jimi's Tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Tones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Jimi's Tone Reply with quote

How can I get his TONE, I know alot of it is in the hands and I have great hands I just want to get that SOUND.

I play a 1962 American Vintage Re-Issue Fender Stratocaster through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 amp and my effects are a Vox Wah and a Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I guess I'm kinda wondering about the settings, like where should I have my settings on my amp set? and should I use a tubescreamer or not?
lefty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimi's Tone Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
How can I get his TONE, I know alot of it is in the hands and I have great hands I just want to get that SOUND.

I play a 1962 American Vintage Re-Issue Fender Stratocaster through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 amp and my effects are a Vox Wah and a Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I guess I'm kinda wondering about the settings, like where should I have my settings on my amp set? and should I use a tubescreamer or not?

Try a good germanium fuzz like the Analogman NKT 275. Cleans up great when the volume on the guitar is turned down too. Fuzz was big part of his tone.
BillNelson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Hendrix tone Reply with quote

I have played for a long time.
I have watched his playing on DVD over and over.
In doing that I have understood the feel of the instrument
in the way Jimi plays it. Your right that it is his hands that
made the magic but it was also much of his imagination
that you can follow if you study his applied feeling to the
strat. Jimi could make a banjo sing the blues.
The mood is in the heart and the heart leads to the
player , the hands
You got the ear for Hendrix, your more than half way there!
Bates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only answer is to just keep Practising and tweaking that Amp. There is no direct root to sounding like Jimi. For Example, if you wanted to play a Petucci Solo, you would get a Metronome and keep going over Licks and Shapes untill they are tidy and fast enough or if it were Satch you would keep doing legatto untill your fingers want to fall off but with Jimi its differant. You just have to keep Playing the Songs and Relax. As long as you do your bit and pick up the Guitar up everyday, the Music will come to you
Bates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimi's Tone Reply with quote

62strat wrote:

This all depends on your Pick attack. Im afraid the chances of another Guitar Player giving you the correct settings are pretty slim.

As a rule though. Keep your Mids up
masterorock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'll find it hard to get a decent 'jimi' tone from a Fender amp.

The Mashalls of today are complete poo, the best tone i've heard live for Jimi stuff is a Cornford Hellcat through a 70's strat, no effects just an amazing player and some great gear.

i use a cornford carrera and i'm getting an amazing sound out of it.

go and try one (crank the bad boy up nice and loud to get the sweet natural tones from the valves) and you'll see what i mean.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Not bad Reply with quote

That sounded realy good of that machine gun you did,and not on strat right too. Cool
Robert W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also used a Univox Uni-Vibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Tones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: