Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Is Frank Marino taboo in this forum?

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Is Frank Marino taboo in this forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Is Frank Marino taboo in this forum? Reply with quote

Anyone got any Frank Marino stories?

Nothing like sitting around the campfire telling spooky Frank Marino stories!

Ok, who's first? Somebody's gotta have a real good one, I just know it.

And please, NO RANDY HANSON stuff allowed. Only real genuine authentic certified bonified Frank Marino ok.

To start the ball rolling, any of you older cats ever read Marino's first GP interview? We relied on GP for our straight, no-nonsense guitar oriented journalism right? There wasn't anything else to rely on at that time. Rolling Stone interviews were about some cultural agenda or with movie directors, etc., Creem interviews usually focused on the rock star's first erection and how they liked Boy Howdy beer, and DownBeat was only interviewing arch top players. So that left GP as our only source for complete, accurate, spot-on, technical, just-the-facts ma'am, guitar reporting. Y'know, serious bidness in such enlightened times.

And then there was the Frank Marino interview...

I remember what I was doing the moment Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon, but I don't recall exactly what I was doing when I read GP's first Frank Marino interview. Maybe I was wondering how Jas Obrecht, or whoever conducted that interview, managed to get through it without seeming giddy or goofy, like you'd get when smokin' a j just before going to history class (I was sitting in the back). In fact, I may have been reading the interview during history class.

Yeah, we probably can't call Frank an "original", but he's real different alright. To borrow from a Robin Williams line in the Aladdin epic, "... He's been hit too many times with the SNAKE!!..."

But C'mon, let's talk about Frank a bit, it'll be fun. Besides, no respectable Hendrix forum would be complete without just a little thread of mahogany in it for color.
bendaway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first GP interview with Frank Marino and still have the old magazine issue. It was about September 1976 with Merle Travis on the cover. I also remember Mahogany Rush on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert on TV from 1975. I never got that heavily into Frank Marino compared to Jimi Hendrix, but I did find his massive board of effects pedals back then quite impressive.
thinline72

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ok! Now we're rollin'! A recent visit to mahoganyrush.com turned out to be a real treat. Imagine the surprise of discovering all Frank's albums streaming FREE ! Some very interesting interviews too. Evidently, he worked through a very bad drug experience by picking up a guitar and playing A LOT. Obviously, Hendrix was his primary influence, but more than influence, one might say Hendrix and Marino's guitar were his life preserver.

A re-listen to some of that material, going back to the early 70's, when Marino was but a mere 16 was very interesting.

We're all Hendrix fans around here. But have you ever really been experienced? Frank has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: