Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - New Jimi Hendrix Book

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

New Jimi Hendrix Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is coming out this month. Sad Sad
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been out in the Uk for a while now. Wierd they put it out here first?

it looks alright actualy. guess i was jumping the gun a bit maybe-i just find it annoying as fan to have all the family estate infighting foistered on you..when you just want some good music or a good product.
Robert W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Though at the same time. I don't respect Experience Hendrix enough to get my money. That's all. Plus, I will have to buy the used CD's from now on.

In fact, I saw the new book. I glanced through it and everything. Some of it is Janie's propoganda. Nothing to write home about.
Georgina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been fortunate enough to get a free copy of this so I thought I tell you all about it.

Its called Hendrix an Interactive experience. Its written by John McDermott who wrote "Setting the Record Straight" and Janie Hendrix. On the whole its good-there are some great photos of Jimi, and its packaged with pull out bits of memorabilla such as letters home, post cards, Hendrix's childhood drawings, lyrics etc.

There's a CD which includes Fire, Red House and Foxy Lady from the Experience gig at Clark Universty March 15th 1968 which is good, good sound quality and pre and post concert interviews. Some of which ive heard before. There is also a track of Buddy and Jimi loosely jamming at the record plant in November 1968. Which is ok good sound quality but I wish Billy was on it.

The book includes an overall description of his rise to fame from his Seattle days onwards-i guess its a designed as a coffee table type book. But mostly its informative and entertaining.

This is what is written regarding Jimi's Mother Lucille.

"Ultimately Lucille left Al and Jimmy and was soon pregnant with another man's child. After giving birth to a son Leon, Lucille entered into another relationship which resulted in the birth of Joey, the second of Jimi's half brothers."

Which is in stark contrast to these extracts in Room Full of Mirrors by Charles Cross.

"Several of their friends report that Al was excited about another child in the family in contrast to the less sanguine version in Al's book. "He kept saying again and again" said Dorothy Harding "how happy he was because he wanted to see his baby born-he'd missed Jimi's birth because he was away."

The baby was born January 13th 1948. Al named the child Leon, after his deceased beloved brother. Al was listed on the birth certificate as the father and was quick to show off the child to everyone in the hopsital as any new father would. Delores (jimi's Aunt) was also in Harbourview Hospital, having had her third child just two days before Leon's birth. She and Lucille had beds next to each other on the maternity ward, and Delores recalled Al making a big deal over Leon. "He took his little wrappings off, and looked at him all over, and said, "I am so glad i got another son."

It was immediatly clear to all-including Jimi-that Leon was Al's favourite.
Jimi told his cousin Dee: "Daddy and Mommy are crazy about my little brother; they like him better than me.

Just eleven months after Leon was born Lucille gave birth to another boy who Al named Joseph Allen Hendrix. Al was listed as the father on the birth certificate, though in his autobiography, he denied paternity of Joe. Yet while Jimi and Leon were both tall and lanky, Joe was short and stocky and looked enough like Al to be his twin.

It also says: "Delores argued that Al's jealousies were a creation of his imagination fueled by alcohol."

I find that I have to believe the account of Jimi's Aunt and not what they've written. Which seems to be attempt to discredit any other possible claims to the estate apart from Janie's.

However apart from this-i think the book could be a good collector's item in the future.
batagy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
There's a CD which includes Fire, Red House and Foxy Lady from the Experience gig at Clark Universty March 15th 1968 which is good, good sound quality and pre and post concert interviews. Some of which ive heard before. There is also a track of Buddy and Jimi loosely jamming at the record plant in November 1968. Which is ok good sound quality but I wish Billy was on it.

Some correction: that Jimi and Buddy jam is taken from "Morning Symphony Ideas" and it's from 1969 november. The Clark University and interview stuff are taken from "Live At Clark University", both disc are Dagger records, so basicly nothing new on that CD enclosed with the book.

But thanks Georgina for your informations about the book. I'd consider to buy one copy sometime, it's sure a nice collectible item. I can agree that probably the book write some "infos" which shows that Janie is the only one authentic successor of Jimi's rights and estate. LOL
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some correction: that Jimi and Buddy jam is taken from "Morning Symphony Ideas" and it's from 1969 november. The Clark University and interview stuff are taken from "Live At Clark University", both disc are Dagger records, so basicly nothing new on that CD enclosed with the book.

Sorry your right there-didnt read it properly..
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Georgina for the info book/cd item.
Robert W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it in the book stores where I live. Some of the copies that I have seen of the book have not been bought yet.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: To dear? Reply with quote

I think the one i saw in the shop i go was still there too,but then it could have been replaced aswell.Like maybe the price was keeping people from buying it too,like i cant afford it,but then actualy was not going to buy it realy too.
Captain Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: New stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for the info , it seems that greediness will never stop.
I would like to know how many of u have seen this tv doc about the life of jimi , where the brother Joe is interviewed : stuck in a wheel chair he talks about being brought in an institution by Al 'coz he had a problem with one leg around age 3 . He recalls his mother crying . I've never been aware of this brother, it's so sad , and wow there is a strong similitude with jimi's face. This is also the doc where léon give the hints for Castles made of Sand.....
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Captain, good to see you around the forums.

Sounds like an interesting documentry-do you know which one it is? I'd love to see it.

The Charles Cross book and Electric Gypsy also talks about Jimi and Leon's brother Joe. I think the Hendrix's had to give him up for adoption because he had very serious health problems and they just coudnt afford the medical bills. And the same with the two sisters that came later.

In Electric Gypsy, it says Al saw Joe once in the street in Seattle and Joe delibrately blanked him. So I guess it wasn't very good between them.

I think they were very hard times for them indeed, pre civil rights and all that. in the UK a couple in Al and Lucille's position would have been able to have far more help from the state and probably would have been able to keep most of the family together. Single parents qualify for free social housing for example, there's a free health service, kids from low income famiies get a free school dinner and they used to get a free school uniform-infact I remeber getting free milk at school until I was 8. but I guess its because in Britain WWII affected the country so badly we have this system. I also suppose it why so many refugees want to come here as well now. ..but I am digressing...

It would be really fascinating to see an interview with Joe.
Captain Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Georgina , just passin' by , i will tell more about this . No you're not digressing but............
Anyway when you see this guy talkin', you understand he has never been adopted and his life was kind of hell somethin between over the cuckoos & edward bunkers memories............I cried , 'coz it was so sad , and he looks so much as an old Jimi destroyed by Hard labor ............pfffffui
Christopher X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Pictures of joe hendrix Reply with quote

Are there any pictures of this brother joe at all out there?,and he had the same mother as jimi and leon right. Question
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Leon Hendrix's my space there is a documentry in 3 parts. Which is really interesting. There is an interview with Joe in that. Jimi and he had the same Mom and extremely likely the same Dad. He takes after Al quite a lot I think. He is possibly a disabled guy so I think that kind of accounts for his appearance. but he must be in touch with Leon and the rest of the family if he took part in the documenty. So not such an unhappy ending...
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Georgina,but with dial up speed it may take far to long for me to see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: