Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Monterey DVD

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Monterey DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Monterey DVD Reply with quote

Who has the new Monterey DVD that came out last week? What did anybody think of it? Please let's get a discussion going on here. Hope to hear from all of you soon. Peace.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Get later on Reply with quote

Well not alctualy checked the music stores in awhile here,but soon i will and see if its on sale or not here?.
And also just dont have the cash for it,so it may have to wait awhile for me,and also i do have the older one on video till then.
bonovox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm getting it but I'm waiting for the HD DVD release. Its been put back to 26/11/07 which is a shame but I can't buy the normal DVD when its out on HD DVD soon. Great concert.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: No DVD yet in NZ Reply with quote

Well i went to my main music store and they only had the cd of monterey,which seems strange as if they have that but not dvd?.
Like supposed to be released at the same time i thought,or its something to do with the import of dvds into the country which i think there is some problem i remember here,but not even shure all the details too now realy,or something else even?.
batagy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought now the new Monterey releases, both the CD and the DVD.

Talking about the DVD, I've not watched it completely, just the interview parts and the extras. The two-part interviews about Monterey is nice IMO, I like these kind of discussions, especially when authentic persons like Mitch Mitchell talks. Well, Mitch seems rather old on that interview, at least for me. I hope he's in a good health.

I don't know is there any big improvement from the footage point of view, compared to the previous Criterion DVD release, but as I said I didn't watch it yet. But very nice to see the multi-camera angles extras, 3 tracks are presented this was. This is the only DVD which I know which has multi-angles feature. The two extra from 1967-02-25 Chelmsford, England are very great to see, although the sound is not top notch. But it's a rare treasure for sure.

The CD... hmm very loud mastering again... Not surprise. It's always marketing that they mastering every Hendrix releases at too loud volume level, so probably this is distorted again. Sad Yes all we hate Alan Douglas, but the Jimi Plays Monterey from 1986 was one of the exception from his works, so I won't throw away my Alan Douglas version disc.

Finally one thing I would mention, that I don't like digipak packages. Both the DVD and CD is with paper digipak artwork. What I don't like that they are get damaged much easier than convention CD cases, where a plastic case will shield the artwork. I don't see the reason why Janie prefer Digipak....
Christopher X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info batagy,yea on seeing mitch mitchell in pictures he has put on weight over the years,And the reviews of the tribute concerts mentione his playing a bit not being too good.Like he dose play to much i think in any bands realy?,but must still practice on the dums im shure,but not playing with others too often would account for those shows i think possibly.
Georgina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds from what Bagaty says quite good. I cant afford to buy it presently although its out in the shops ive seen it-but hopefully Im getting for christmas. so looking forward to watching it..
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen the dvd now and I like it- but I think they could have done a lot better IMO. It really doesnt compare to the Woodstock DVD they put out.

As ever the Monterey gig is fantastic it goes without saying- but what happened to Can You See me?! I know it wasnt filmed but it seemed really incomplete without it. On the vhs they overlaid it over a short film sequence.

I think they should have put more rare outakes on the extras and improved the sound quality somehow on what they already have on there.. for example I really liked the footage on the vhs of Sgt Pepper and Wild Thing that the experience played in (I think) London.

And most of the interviews were hatched together job of other interviews ive already seen mostly from the electric ladyland documentry. Apart from Mitch, maybe. Wasnt there anyone else they could got to a fresh perspective on it. ? Considering Chas and Noel (RIP) are now pushing up the daisys.

I also really liked the John Phillips voiceover on vhs as well it added some atmosphere. So I will not be chucking the Old Monterey away particularly as they may possibly delete it now.

So those are my thoughts..of course i I ruled the world everything would be alright.. Laughing
bonovox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
Ive seen the dvd now and I like it- but I think they could have done a lot better IMO. It really doesnt compare to the Woodstock DVD they put out.

As ever the Monterey gig is fantastic it goes without saying- but what happened to Can You See me?! I know it wasnt filmed but it seemed really incomplete without it. On the vhs they overlaid it over a short film sequence.

I think they should have put more rare outakes on the extras and improved the sound quality somehow on what they already have on there.. for example I really liked the footage on the vhs of Sgt Pepper and Wild Thing that the experience played in (I think) London.

And most of the interviews were hatched together job of other interviews ive already seen mostly from the electric ladyland documentry. Apart from Mitch, maybe. Wasnt there anyone else they could got to a fresh perspective on it. ? Considering Chas and Noel (RIP) are now pushing up the daisys.

I also really liked the John Phillips voiceover on vhs as well it added some atmosphere. So I will not be chucking the Old Monterey away particularly as they may possibly delete it now.

So those are my thoughts..of course i I ruled the world everything would be alright.. Laughing

Yeah I got a copy of it and the first thing I noticed was the missing "Can You See Me" after hey Joe. On the vhs video I have it has a version of the song with a painter doing a picture of Jimi on the wall. On this so called complete DVD not a single mention. Whats that all about. Talk about half arsed! Yeah the DVD sounds great and its got some good extras. I was gonna buy the HD DVD version but I'm not sure I'll bother cos I need to get a HD DVD player as well and this is the only disc I want on HD DVD. Why cant they release it on Blu Ray. Oh well the DVD will do! Rolling Eyes
Robert W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy it. I wish that I had the old copy when it was put out in 1986 as "Jimi Plays Monterey."
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Still on video Reply with quote

My brother has a copy of the monterey video still and i watch it now and then still.Like got it in the 80's,when it came out or when got into new zealand.
Georgina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried ebay-you never know you may get a copy second hand Robert..

Just to goes to show the Alan Douglas did something right...for once. Laughing
bonovox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah been playing the Monterey DVD and the sound is nice and crisp. But I have one complaint that it seems is with every 5.1 dolby digital mix of Hendrix DVD's. Why are the vocals never centred? It seems they always remix them with the vocals not coming through the centre speakers which makes the sound have too much echo. It ruins the sound. Its the same with this Monterey new mix. There is too much echo with the sound and vocals are not coming through the centre speaker where vocals should be mainly coming through. Another thing about this Monterey mix is that it seriously lacks bass sound and I have to have the sub woofer up to full to get any kind of bass. It really pisses me off that they can't re-master Hendrix DVD's and get the sound mixed right. If you compare it with any U2 DVD with a 5.1 DD mix then the vocals are centred and coming through the centre speaker. Oh well maybe cos the Hendrix DVD's are very old recordings and its not possible I suppose. Anyone here got the HD DVD of this Monterey concert?
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert W wrote:
I didn't buy it. I wish that I had the old copy when it was put out in 1986 as "Jimi Plays Monterey."

"Jimi Plays Monterey" has been available on DVD from Criterion for years now. It was originally available as part of the "Complete Monterey Festival" box set, but now the Jimi/Otis disc can be purchased separately.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Monterey-Pop-Festival-Collection/dp/B00006JU7P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1201503848&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Plays-Monterey-Shake-Otis/dp/B000E5LEW4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1201503572&sr=1-2
hello people

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas Chandler is dead? I didn't hear about that...in 1996 too...strewth! I behind the times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: