Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Jimmy's scales
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jimmy's scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLd00d

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Jimmy's scales Reply with quote

I am really new to ARU stuff but i think herriong is amazing. I was just curious to what scales besides pentatonic that jimmy uses. Like on one of his older songs, salty dog, he just rips it up and i know its not pentatonic. also if you could recommend some of thier best songs it would also be greatly appreciated. thanks,

Craig
smv929

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a lot of his lines can be branded easily as dimished or wholetone, his style (to me) is really just based on a pentatonic scale with (here's the key) tons of passing tones brilliantly used to make the phrases weave in and out, creating jazzy chaos, but then landing on the pentatonic notes in the end. His use of passing tones is one of the big things I think sets him apart. He's a brilliant dude. funky too! which makes him such a bad ass.
ronquixote

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a question of what mode is he playing in, as opposed to what scale he's using. Study your major scales and how to use them modally.
wajsims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Jimmy's scales Reply with quote

Jimmy has been known to tinker with fish scales, jimmy scales, and zambi scales...usually in that order
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: