Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Reactions to Jimmy teaming with Panic?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Reactions to Jimmy teaming with Panic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red All Over

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reactions to Jimmy teaming with Panic? Reply with quote

the overwhelming response from panic fans on panicfreaks.org has been a great deal of excitement for the Fall. theres a feeling of freshness and it seems that the possiblities are endless. some folks see this as a chance to rediscover what they have been missing for over four years. all this without one note being played with jimmy in nearly 10 years.

this summer panic has been lighting it up playing old favorites that havent been heard since houser played them and redefining standard tunes. its been very exciting to say the least.

id like to hear an honest opinion from JH fans on his decision to play with widespread panic.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could not be happier!! I just happen to be a huge WSP fan and a Jimmy fan, so it works out for me!!

Most folks seem happy with it.

South Panic
dgold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first show seeing Jimmy Herring shred was Rites Of Spring @ Rhodes College in Memphis, with the seminal line-up of Aquarium Rescue Unit in i think 1992. Started seeing Panic about the same time. My 3rd WSP show was HORDE at Mud Island with the awe-inspiring ARU opening the day and blowing me away again (both bands did).

It feels like circles coming 'round

but we'll have to hear it to know for sure if it's meant to be!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused Embarassed Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
jwblanton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy playing with WP is certainly going to change the way I think about WP. I have never been a huge fan of Panic but I have to admit to only listening to a half dozen shows or so. They must be doing something great with the kind of draw they have here in the south. I am hoping to hear why Jimmy is all of a sudden joining such an established group. I thought I had read he was interested in writing new music/songs and was pulling from some of the stuff Bobby had done in that new group. Not much need for writers in Panic as I see it...what 50 albums or so?!?!?!?! I am optimistic the music will have the same impact on me as the rest of Herrings efforts, I am actually exicited he is in a band that tours much closer to me than the others he's been in! Can't wait to hear it! Congrats Jimmy (and JB too Laughing )
Red All Over

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on how panic played george mcconnells songs, let him sing covers and gave him freedom with guitar work on two albums i would think that the possiblility of herring contributing some material would be great. whats been missing in particular are instumentals. i dont believe there has been a new instrumental introduced since 2001 when panic had one in rotation (EonaG) very briefly. thats not to say they havent played a couple oldies here and there. id love to here herring contribute in this capacity of songwriting.
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a panic fan, but it's because I've only heard a couple of poorly recorded shows. Haven't really given them a chance. I wasn't a fan of The Dead and was looking forward to Jimmy doing more HRS, Project Z, and ARU and whatever else in that vein after he split from them. I missed the true Jimmy when he played in The Dead because of the way he tried to tame his playing to their music, which was appropriate for the music and very honorable of him. I will be pleasantly surprised if WSP lets Jimmy shine as Jimmy. I hope I become a fan.
jwblanton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHA yeah! I forgot LET JIMMY SING! I have been waiting for that for years now. I thought he might have pitched in on that Mexicalli show (was it?) when the power went out and they sang at the end accapella. Instrumentals would be great too. I am gonna DL a show or two of Jimmy sitting in with Panic that is supposedly available ('93 or so) as a primer to the tour. I am glad to see all this activity on this board now with the news!!
FZdMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not thrilled but I'll be willing to it the benefit of the doubt. I bought some Panic cds years ago and gave them away. I tried to watch an Austin City Limits show and shut it off. Maybe this time it will hit me. I just want a full on well crafted guitar album from Jimmy (ala Steve Morse, etc) and then he can play with whomever and I'll buy my ticket and be happy! I just feel like there in an unfullfilled promise that may never come to fruition.
slopeside

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one would think we all may be surprised by this outcome. i enjoy seeing music evolve and all its imperfections. i kinda hope they wing it like the good old dayz, improv at its best.

you play the same transition over n over there is no mystery.

a jerry fan first, then kimock, jimmy is right up there with some of the greatest improv artist. i can only hope they bring back the allusive sound of the soul, and i shall be free~

Who can stop what must arrive now?
Something new is waiting
To be born
Dark as the night you're still by my side
Shining side

for those who would like better panic to download please vist

www.digitalpanic.org ENJOY~
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after catching the last 4 shows, I can say with confidence that Jimmy is helping WSP bring it to new levels!!

Very Happy

South Panic
BRayStrat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge JH fan here...casual Panic fan.

As long as Herring has other outlets for his music, be it playing with Bobby Lee, fusion, or whatever else he does, I'm happy.
leddog4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Ringer Reply with quote

Jimmy Herring can only be compared to a ringer on a sports team, whatever "team" he is on, he makes it better, and is most likely the best member in that band.
smv929

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here: huge JH fan, new to WSP. I wasn't too excited after hearing the first couple of shows with JH in WSP. JH played great and the band sounded good, but it seemed Jimmy was playing it safe like he did in The Dead. I didn't listen for a few weeks until today, I downloaded a recent WSP show (10/14/2006, I think, from bt.etree.org) and he is smoking! He's definitely loosening up. Although his solos are straiter and more pentatonic than usual, they are absolutlley blistering -- a clinic in extended rarely-repeating phrases of pentatonics. Don't get me wrong...I love pentatonic solos and one reason I like Jimmy is because of what he does with pentatonics. It's just that I also really like how Jimmy blends subtle amounts of "outness" with his pentatontic blues/rock fury -- as you can hear in every HRS, ARU, and and many other projects. He's obviously choosing to do this for the WSP audience or the band perpahs. Nevertheless, he's smoking with WSP. It's cool to hear how much he can do with pentatonics during his many extended solos. Endless ideas flow of out of the man. He's one of the best and most unique players of our time. I'm surprised he doesn't get more recognition.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been suprised at how few people really know who he is in the "mainstream" music world.

I don't think Jimmy really "played it safe" with TD or WSP. IMHO, he's just trying to adjust his style to fit the music and the band he is playing with (Warren H. in the Dead is a good comparison as, in my opinion did not adjust his style to be in TD and it did not really work). He seems very aware of his band members and not wanting to steal the spotlight.

Just my opinion though.

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: