Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Last night's Herring/Rogers/Sipe show in Falls Church, VA
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Last night's Herring/Rogers/Sipe show in Falls Church, VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Last night's Herring/Rogers/Sipe show in Falls Church, VA Reply with quote

I met up with Jimmy and Jeff Sipe last night in DC. They both were in top form and in their usual good spirits. Jimmy seemed up for the WSP challenge and didn't know yet whether they were going to keep on doing things the way they have been with him in the lineup or if they would change anything. I imagine it to be the former. I haven't known WSP to change anything other than personnel in 15 years. Wink Just kidding, Panic fans.

I should preface this paragraph by saying that I have never seen the CodeTalkers before. The crowd was pretty engrossed and energetic despite the fact that the pacing of the night didn't really involve them. Many of the tunes started off with slow noodling between Bobby Lee and Jimmy with the rest of the band coming in later than sooner. Not knowing any of the songs was tough. I enjoyed the entire band and tried not to think of the show as a "wait for Jimmy or Jeff to do something cool". The musicianship from the entire band was top-notch but the pacing of the set was not. Another aside here is that the State Theater has a large lower audience area with seating and multiple bars along with a full balcony upstairs. There were about 60-80 people there which doesn't help the intensity of the show, I'm sure. The band did come out for 2 encores so it was clear that they were enjoying themselves despite the low turnout.

Jimmy is a technician of the ultimate degree. I never can quite get over how well his fingers work. Jeff continues to develop his technique, including the perfection of the right arm circle swing thang that I love. Another of my favorite drummers, Luke Flowers from Cinematic Orchestra, also does this well. You can download a bunch of Cinematic videos with him doing it so well here: http://tco.surrealmuffin.com/

One of the tapers there had one of these HD recorders from Sound Devices. WOW...how did I miss these?
http://www.sounddevices.com

Now I have to figure out how to get to Atlanta for Halloween. My appetite for a real ARU show is growing!
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review.

I think the pacing of the sets has been a bit different each show, and always varies due to the fact they are not using setlists. I heard from a taper friend that it was kind of a different crowd wit hlots of parents and teenagers being there due to the early stuff going on at the venue...

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: