Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - devices to slow down/learn fast lines
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

devices to slow down/learn fast lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: devices to slow down/learn fast lines Reply with quote

I'm not ashamed I must use such a device to learn Jimmy's licks. In fact, I use it to ensure I'm getting the correct notes on not-so-fast licks. I have learned a lot about bop lines that I would never have learned with my bare ear.

Still, even having the correct notes, the toughtest part about learning a complex line is getting the correct fingering which usually helps you get the phrasing correct.

Much of Jimmy's lines having fingerings that are intuitive, but there many that I have difficulty with - like when he will go into a line that consists of string skipping to jumb back and forth between intervals. I finally was able to figure out fingering for one passage and thought I was onto being able to apply it at will. However, I have since lost something and am unable to apply it musically. It'll sprout back one day if I keep at it.

Anyone prefer a particular device for learning fast licks. I use the old Pandora Box. I like that it allows you to practice to rhythm tracks, although canned, I prefer it to a metronome.
gsbe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've slowed his stuff down with software like Syntrillium's Cool Edit to help me figure out what all those weird notes are. I usually don't bother to figure out how to play it, though, because I don't really want to sound like that. I want to figure out the theory behind how he's getting those way out sounds so that maybe I can apply the theory. Jimmy's technique is so many eons beyond mine that I'd rather focus on the pieces that I may be able to pick up and add to my playing...like his great diminished patterns. I've been able to utilize some of those ideas in my playing but I doubt that I could ever do it with the speed that he does. Which is fine, of course. Wink
Schmoot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Transcribing Tools Reply with quote

I would highly recommend checking out the Transcribe! software program from www.seventhstring.com. I have used it to figure out some of those ridiculous shuffle picking passages that Jimmy can rip off at will.
gsbe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transcribing Tools Reply with quote

Schmoot wrote:
I would highly recommend checking out the Transcribe! software program from www.seventhstring.com. I have used it to figure out some of those ridiculous shuffle picking passages that Jimmy can rip off at will.

Any interest in posting them? I'd be willing to buy the software to be able to read the files.
Schmoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Transcribe plus notation software? Reply with quote

I usually transcribe them by hand into a tab/staff book using the transcribe program which lets you slow down to 20 or 15 percent and it is easy to put markers and loop sections. I could use some hints at what software to use to put them into proper notation. Finale is too tedious. Then they would be easier to share. I was actually thinking of creating a book of them, but as time permits I could never get it done in a reasonable time. Anybody have a preference to notation software that is extremely fast to use?
gsbe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: notation, tablature and transcription software... Reply with quote

Finale can put people off pretty easily. Sibelius is next in line in terms of popularity and many people think is easier to use than Finale. There are some others that were in a magazine review recently but I can't find the issue, sorry.

There are a few free tablature programs which look pretty good, if not a bit too complex. TablEdit and Power Tab look to be the two most popular free ones:I was hoping that Transcribe! would be a slow-down AND tablature program. It sure would be nice to combine the two. In a quick search over the internet there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

Transcribe is fun to mess around with. I've uploaded a slowed-down and EQ'd version of one of Jimmy's diminished licks on "Time is Free" from the live CD for your enjoyment:
RichM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best application I've found for slowing down licks is The Amazing Slow Downer. It's a stupid name, but an incredible program. It slows down mp3's or wav's without changing the pitch. You can also alter the pitch and eq if you'd like, and create start/stop points to create a loop of the part you are trying to figure out. Great program. Here's the link:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Rich
-----
http://www.guitar-channel.com
gsbe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichM wrote:
The best application I've found for slowing down licks is The Amazing Slow Downer. It's a stupid name, but an incredible program. It slows down mp3's or wav's without changing the pitch. You can also alter the pitch and eq if you'd like, and create start/stop points to create a loop of the part you are trying to figure out. Great program....

Just by looking at the screenshots I'd have to say that Transcribe is an easier-to-use program than this one. Check it out - it has two features that the ASD doesn't have:

1) the ability to see the wave form and physically place the beginning and ending of a loop

2) the ability to play a musical keyboard at the same time as the lick is playing back making the note recognition part of transcribing faster

Transcribe also does everything that ASD does with the EQ, different percentages of speed, etc. I think that the above 2 reasons make it a program that is faster to use, even in the short run.

What I'm looking for is a program like Transcribe that has the notation piece built in. Now THAT would be the thing for creating solo transcriptions. I guess you can always have a tab creations program running in another window. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for posting this, Rich. I'm always interested in seeing other software that do similar things for comparison.
RichM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcribe sounds pretty good. I'll have to check it out.

Rich
-----
http://www.guitar-channel.com
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of the software programs is certainly an advantage over the Pandora Box. However, the one thing I really like about the Pandora is that it has rhythm tracks you can practice against. When I transcribe a complex line, I'll play the appropriate rhythm track to practice against, starting with a slow tempo, etc. Anyway, the convenience of having that option built into the Pandora is nice.

One disadvanage is that you loose the recorded passage once you start the rhthm track. If you want to hear the actual recorded passage and loop it again, you have to re-record it.

How do you guys (who use the software programs) do this? I assume you acquire backing tracks or find an mp3 to practice against and play it within the software program.

Do any of these programs have rhythm tracks? If not, where do you get some basic tracks. Cost?

I guess you could use your software package to play the rhythm trackin the appropriate key or tempo.
gsbe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, none of the aforementioned programs have rhythm tracks to play along with. You use these programs to learn the crazy notes that people like Jimmy choose to play so darn fast. I would just speed the song back up and play along, the rhythm tracks are already on the CD. Wink

I use software to create tracks with, but it is a more complicated process that choosing the style and hitting go on the Pandora. I know that there are other boxes that do this kinda stuff, I used to own an old Kawai GB-2 Session Trainer for that purpose but I found I didn't use it very much.

I love playing along with the Aebersold play-along CDs, check those out if you want professional play-along tracks for jazz and blues tunes and improv. I think their site is jazzbooks.com[/i]
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsbe, regarding your suggestion to just use the actual track to practice against, I didn't miss that option and do that when I'm simply trying to copy a line exactly to play in a gig. However, I still like to be able to quickly switch to a basic vamp to practice a new line - usually to develop my own ideas inspired from the line I'm copying. I find that a basic repetitive vamp track is helpful for me to zone out and get creative to experiment. There is no distraction from having a bridge or vocals or having to restart the track, etc., which is something that, may seem trivial, but really does help me concentrate and get into a creative zone.

I do have some Aebersol tracks which are cool. Thanks for the suggestions.
gsbe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: more commercial guitar software Reply with quote

To be complete here, Transcribe costs ~$50USD.

I've stumbled across another program called Guitar and Drums Trainer which looks promising but is also around $50:
http://renegademinds.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

GDT does not have a notation portion to it, either. Bummer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: