Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - shuffle picking - Jimmy Please Explain this?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

shuffle picking - Jimmy Please Explain this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: shuffle picking - Jimmy Please Explain this? Reply with quote

Can someone explain exactly what this is and how it's done.

Obviously, this is the extremely fast triplet technique that Jimmy uses in his solos quite a bit.....

Jimmy?? Just in case he ever comes up here... Laughing
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, someone please explain. Where did you hear about this?
smv929

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are descriptions of Shuffle Picking from other posts on this site:

"...a concept [Jimmy] called "shuffle picking" which was a combination of alternate picking and left hand hammer-ons that allowed a very clean articulate attack and blinding speed, even with licks that skipped strings..."
--posted by Ethereal Cereal

"...Jimmy doesnt use clean up and down strokes when he plays those three string or two string runs.....he uses a mixture of picking the first note of then hammering on or pulling off the next two and so on.....its a combination of alternate picking and hammer ons and pull offs..."
--posted by ARUJeff

Can someone please point to an example in a recording. Thanks.
JackD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's by best description of how I THINK shuffle picking works:

It is done by picking (almost) every other note for a triplet pattern. What happens is that by doing this, the left hand is doing a triplet phrase while the picking hand is playing a shuffle pattern (hense the name "shuffle picking").

Here's an example.

Play the mixolydian scale starting on the low E string up to the high E string. The low E and high E has two notes per string. All the rest have three notes per string. Pick the first note with a down stroke and hammer on the second note. Then move to the next string, pick the first note with an up stroke, the second note with a down stroke, and the third note with a hammer on. Now move to the next string, and repete the same thing you did on the last string (up/down/hammer). Keep going until the two notes on the high E string.

On the high E, hit the highest note in this position (for a C mixo scale, it would be D) and pull off the second note. On the B string, hit the first note with an up stroke, the second with a down, and pull off on the third. Do the same thing for all the strings with three notes and go all the way down.

Bingo--now you know how if feels to do shuffle picking (I think!!)
smv929

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for explaining that. Will try it. I can't think of when I heard jimmy do this, but i'm having trouble hearing an example in my head.
gsbe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuffle picking generally describes a general shuffle up and down stroke with the whole arm....while picking individual notes. The "chunk-ah, chunk-ah" sound is especially common in blues guitar playing.

SRV is one of the recent guitar heroes that made this sound popular. This type of picking is a lot of fun as it allows you to let individual notes come out while keeping everything in a strong shuffle rhythm. You can see lots of videos on youtube that show how to do this.

I can't remember any recordings where Jimmy does shuffle picking like SRV...maybe there are some. Most students of the guitar eventually modify their picking pattern to the up-down method. The up-down pattern of the wrist/forearm never changes, even if you are resting on one of the strokes. All up beats are played with the up stroke, all down beats are played with the down stroke...no questions! Once this picking technique becomes natural and part of your muscle memory, you'll never turn back and will likely be able to greatly speed up your playing.

Another trick with the up/down stroke picking is when doing it very fast you can move your wrist in a figure-8 pattern over the strings. SRV definitely used this figure-8 wrist pattern when he played fast tempos. This is definitely an advanced application of the up/down picking pattern so don't try to start with this! Once you have it working well, try a faster song and see if your wrist doesn't automatically move left to right across the strings and body of your guitar in a small figure-8 pattern.

I'm sure there are lots of online references to these type of picking patterns I've described here. Subscribing to the up/down method is likely to be one of the first steps in any guitar method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: