Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Jimmy and the PRS Hollowbody II
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jimmy and the PRS Hollowbody II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Jimmy and the PRS Hollowbody II Reply with quote

I have to comment about Jimmy's PRS Hollowbody II. First, I was never a really big PRS fan. I knew they were great guitars, but I thought they were too expensive. When I started listening to Jimmy, I loved his sound and thought I'd check out a PRS hollowbody like his. Unfortunately, his was a custom deal. I confirmed this by talking to PRS Artist Relations. Jimmy had it made because he has a Custom 22 with 3 P-90s and loved it, but wanted a hollowbody. PRS combined the two and thus you have Jimmy's Hollowbody II with the 3 P-90s.

So I tried out several models of PRS Hollowbodies and LOVED them. Ultimately, about a month ago, I bought one on ebay. I got an absolutely fantastic mint condition Hollowbody II with double 10 tops (front and back) with the most beautiful tiger stripe flame I have ever seen on any guitar. The guitar sounds fantastic. Very clear and articulate. It's brighter and more "airy" sounding than my ES-335s (I've got a dot-neck reissue and a 1967 vintage that are both wonderful guitars). The guitar is totally hollow (except for a small block at the bridge) so it just rings and resonates. I got a great deal on ebay, and love this guitar.

If you have not checked these guitars out, you should.
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the PRS hollowbody he tried came stock with weaker output pickups so as not to feedback. He said basically that he didn't want to prevent it from feeding back in a joking way. So PRS installed the normal, higher output pickup they use (I guess for solid bodies).
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an american strat.....and playing through a mesa/boogie mark 3 .......i cant ask for anything more
JackD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Jimmy's PRS HB II, his is very unique. It has P-90 soap bars, rather than humbuckers. Your comment about the stock pickups is correct. The McCarty archtop humbuckers that come standard on all PRS hollowbodies are somewhat lower output to reduce feedback. I spoke to someone in Artist Relations and he said that they will often put the higher output McCarty pickups in for certain artists.

For me, I like the stock pickups. Although the output is somewhat less (between a humbucker and a P-90), they are also a little brighter, which I like a lot.

In any event, these guitars sound and play great!!
smv929

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are 24.xx-inch scale as well I believe, which means as you probably know, the fretboard is shorted that a strat. Which means it's usually easier to play since you can reach a little further.

Jimmy already makes a strat sound like he has strong or huge hands. That's one thing about his technique that adds to his feel. He is able to nail bends, masters vibrato, easily play stretched-out hammer ons. I've always figured he must have big hands, especially to play like he does on a strat.
RogerBiggerstaff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually unless Jimmy is using a custom scale length, the scale length on PRS guitars(with the exception of the Santana models), is 25". The CU22 Soapbars were great guitars, though they are no longer made, but I can imagine that a HBII with 3 soapbars would be pretty cool. I used to have 3 PRS(2 McCarty, 1 Singlecut) and they were great. I'm now using McInturffs though and am very pleased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: