Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Hello from Scott!
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Hello from Scott!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Hello from Scott! Reply with quote

Hey there, fellow Herring fans!

I'm really fortunate...music (playing, writing, recording, arranging) is all I do for a living...

My instrument is guitar, but I compose at the keyboard, play drums and bass (started as a drummer)......and arrange professionally for just about every instrument......

My main musical styles are fusion, jazz, prog, blues...but I play just about everything, not to limit myself...

My influences are very diverse, but fusion being the main thing:
Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, Pat Metheny being the main ones...

I taught guitar and theory privately for 4 years from 1992-1996, going to students homes...

In 2002, I was very fortunate to have my CD “released” on Allan Holdsworth's label, Gnarly Geezer Records...

From that release, I received some great feedback from Steve Vai, Brett Garsed, Derryl Gabel, Shane Theriot, Greg Koch, Rusty Cooley...

In 2003, I switched labels and was officially signed to Progressive Arts Music, and re-released the C.D. in October 2003.

For this re-release, I went back into the studio and wrote 3 bonus tracks, and beefed up the guitar parts and the overall mix, making it a much better disc...(I also enhanced the C.D. with about 80 minutes of bonus mp3s in CD-ROM format, and 3 live video clips)

My C.D. "Freedom", was on the official finalist's list of potential nominees for a Grammy this year for Best Contemporary Jazz Album: LIST HERE (I'm #29)

Didn't make the final, but hey there's always next year!

There are some clips below, but here are some from my current C.D.:

ORIGINAL FUSION (from my C.D. “Freedom”)
Give It Time Scott Jones © 2003 Freedom PAM-1022

ORIGINAL FUSION (from my C.D. “Freedom”)
Convergence Scott Jones © 2003 Freedom PAM-1022 ...I'm playing acoustic drums on this track, as well as guitar, I sequenced the bass part.

ALTERNATE TAKE
Convergence ALT TAKE

I was very fortunate to have released this new version to some very encouraging reviews...

Here are those reviews:

REVIEWS

I'm fortunate to have been in Keyboard magazines Discoveries column, Recording magazine's Reader's tapes, Music and Computers magazine's Spotlight column.

I have recently confirmed my line up for my next C.D. to be released late summer 2005 :

...Dave Weckl's keyboardist Steve Weingart,

...Steve Vai's and Planet X drummer Virgil Donati,

...as well as Planet X bassist Rufus Philpot,

...and Tribal Tech bassist Gary Willis,

...OHM and Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland will be doing a guest solo on one track,

...Allan Holdsworth may also be doing a guest solo (awaiting confirmation)

...Bassist Gerald Veasley will be doing a duet with me on one track.

...legendary Nashville Bassist Keith Horne will be playing one track.

Producer/engineer Anton Pukshansky, is aboard also...Anton is a Grammy award winner for his work on Santana's "Supernatural".

Carlos will soon be considering a tune of mine for an upcoming release.

Anyway, here are some other clips, not released, though I'd like to share them with you; I like to play in a bunch of different styles and these reflect that best:

STRAIGHT AHEAD JAZZ
Sjones-GIANT STEPS 2004 my take on the Coltrane tune

SHRED
Sjones-44 Seconds with Virgil Donati (an unreleased jam I did over one of Virgil's solos from his CD "Stretch")

GYPSY / DJANGO-STYLE
Sjones-All of Me My take of the jazz standard "All Of Me", played from a Django-esque approach. I did the backing track also and produced it to sound "old".

FUSION BALLAD
Sjones-Beck-like Ballad a bit of Beck, Henderson and Holdsworth on this...

MODERN CLASSICAL
Sjones-Modern Classical

COUNTRY
Sjones-COUNTRY PICKIN' TUNE

SMOOTH JAZZ
Sjones-Sanborn Smooth Jazz Jam

MORE STRAIGHT AHEAD JAZZ
Sjones-"Softly As in a Morning Sunrise" a C minor blues-based standard with a cool set of turn-around changes. Fun to play over.

TAPPING-GIANT STEPS (JAZZ)
Sjones-GIANT STEPS All completely tapped...no picking...more of fusion, Holdsworth-ish approach than my other takes.

O COME EMMANUEL
Sjones O Come Emmanuel PERFORMED LIVE AT MY CHURCH (my arrangement with a "Matrix" and "Evanescence" feel...this is totally based on the soundtrack of "Revolutions" and an Evanesence song) I'm the arranger/orchestrator/director/guitarist, electric sitar with choir, orchestra (horns, strings), full contemporary rhythm section; - (there is a tapping solo around 5:00)

KRANTZ-LIKE JAM
Sjones-Krantz-like jam A jam I did in the style of Wayne Krantz.

BLUES
Sjones-BLUES

FUNK/FUSION
Sjones-Brecker Funk Jam

OLD SCHOOL HENDRIX-STYLE SOLO GUITAR
Sjones-Hendrix-ish Solo Piece

MORE TAPPING (ROCK)
Sjones-Legato Jam Rock based solo, mostly tapping on this one, more like Hallebeek than Holdsworth.

JAZZ SOLOING FROM THE STYLISTIC APPROACHES OF SCOFIELD, METHENY AND HENDERSON
Sjones-"Nardis" My take on the Miles Davis tune. I played it as three different approaches, one solo after another in the same track: as Scofield; as Metheny, and the last one as Henderson (with a bit of Landau)...the reharmonization and chord voicings are in the Holdsworth approach.

G3-ish BALLAD
Sjones-Satriani/Vai-ish Ballad

SOLO JAZZ GUITAR (JOE PASS-LIKE)
Sjones-arrangement of Jobim's "Wave" in the style of Joe Pass

BRECKER FUSION (w-BASS SOLO)
Sjones-Brecker jam with guitar and bass solo GUITAR: I recorded the guitar solo around 5 months ago; BASS: I just played the bass solo (no pick, by the way), the rest of the part was already part of the backing track...

MODERN ROCK
Sjones - "On the Way Down" Sjones© 2002 (an original Modern Rock song written with my co-writer and vocalist Mindy back in 2002)

SOLO JAZZ GUITAR (NYLON-STRING)
Sjones-arrangement of "Days of Wine and Roses" -the jazz standard written by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer, on my nylon string, no pick, no backing track.

PLANET X-LIKE TUNE w-VIRGIL DONATI
Sjones-Planet-X-like tune (an unreleased song I wrote over three of Virgil's solos from his CD "Stretch"....I'm playing guitar, bass and keys)

---------

Thanks for the opportunity to share.....glad to be a part of this forum!!

Peace,

Scott

CLIPS:

RANDOM STYLES PAGE

JAZZ PAGE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: