Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Jimmy's playing
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jimmy's playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
triadboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Jimmy's playing Reply with quote

When I met Jimmy ('83) I had been playing for 18 years (not continuous though). Jimmy complemented me on my playing (he used to watch me when he was a kid).

HOWEVER! - I grew up listening to 60's music and I could cop Clapton, Santana, Allman, etc. - no problem. In other words, I was above average in the blues scale - the vertical fingering.

When I heard Jimmy, he was 20/21 or so - he was playing horizontal on the neck. He grew up copping Steve Morse!! He was already a polished player! He floored me.

Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck in a rut in the blues scale. I'm 50 and can only imagine what it would be like to hit ONE of Jimmy's licks. Smile

When I saw Jimmy and The Dead in Phoenix - he sounded to me like the best player in the world. And I've been around. I also told everyone that in the Summer of 2004 - Jimmy had the best guitarist gig in the world. Not bad.

We all need to play joyful music within our abilities. But every once in a while, someone comes along who boggles your mind with their playing abilities. Jimmy is one of those guys - and he was playing like that as a teenager!! Jimmy playing with The Dead sounded like Jimmy playing in his basement in 1983! He's a freak! He's the kinda player that makes you want to give up guitar and take up knitting. Very Happy
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

said very well!!

South Panic
oreo speedwagon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I get pissed when I see people that good. Not because I'm mad at them, but because I'm mad at *me* for not pushing myself harder and getting to that level. It's the drive that keeps us pushing for more.

I get that drive and go on some sort of musical mission... Learning a new melodic idea, cleaning up my attack, picking up speed, improving tone, etc...

And then I mellow out and go with the adage of "use what you know". So, I mellow out and absorb and try to internalize all of the things I just obsessed about.

Then I do it all over again!

Very Happy

Linky goodness to my band, The Elect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: