Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Dragonfly's 7/23/05 Raleigh show
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Dragonfly's 7/23/05 Raleigh show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRayStrat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Dragonfly's 7/23/05 Raleigh show Reply with quote

I made the Raleigh Pour House show...It was great to see Jimmy in a venue that I went to quite a bit when I lived in Raleigh. I brought along 2 buddies to see the show with me. I told them to expect some acrobatics on the guitar.

The first set was really solid, one of my friends said it was the best set of music he'd seen all year and was super impressed. Jimmy was his usual self and the songs were good vehicles for Jimmy to jam over. I didn't recognize any songs in the first set. I remember the last song of the first set being very strong, but I don't remember any specifics.
2nd set they open up with the Beatles "Dig A Pony." Very cool to see Jimmy doing George's solo note for note. They then segued straight into another song. Then came a very long version of Dylan's A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall. They did 2 jams, one this sorta Eastern Phrygian sounding (at least to my ears) jam and segued back into the Dylan tune. Rob's "clav" got the crowd moving on Sly and the Family Stone's Thank You. They ended the night with Steely Dan's Kid Charlmagne. Jimmy was very high in the mix, compared to most the other musicians, which isn't a problem for a lot of us on this site.

It was quite a lengthy show for a band that has not been around too much. My buddies did feel that the songs were stretched out a bit too much and said they couldn't follow the second set.
For me, it was enjoyable but I did enjoy the first set more, though the second was a bit longwinded, but seeing Jimmy is always a privilege.
With all that said, my personal preference is the Codetalkers.
leddog4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Kid Charlemagne Reply with quote

If anyone has that dragonflys show where they play kid charlemagne, i would love to hear it.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen a bittorrent for it yet, but as soon as I do...

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: