Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Scapegoat Blues
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scapegoat Blues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Scapegoat Blues Reply with quote

Anybody working on this? I've been working on it, through thr Guitar World Columns the last 2 Months. Cool

I really dig how JH talks about the 2 different sections. And how he was combining the Diminished Scale with the Blues Scale. It's pretty tricky picking, for the Diminished section of the Head. It's fun, trying to nail it.
Swain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 8 "Views" and no one comments? Rolling Eyes

If anybody else wants to work through this Tune, go get the March and April (I think) 2009 Guitar World Magazines. Jimmy is covering it in his Instructional Column. He is also on the CD-ROM Videos, explaining how to play it.

I really dig how he explains his thought processes and methods. Nice insights, that really help me to get into the Tune a little deeper. Nice!
Cool

Anyway, thought you "Lurkers" would like to know about all this. Razz

P.S.

This is a Discussion Board. So, don't be shy!
gillvanderlip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: chord scales Reply with quote

the use of chord scales is the way to go. learning this from jimmy and a friend name kevin has opened the doors for me. most of the lifeboat cd comes from chord scales and how to form melodies using them. jimmys cd is very melodic phrased music no wasted notes and intervalic melodies. thats my approach now more than ever. shred is dead. pick a key form your chords out of the scale and stack ideas in fourths, minor sevenths and any configureation you can think of. the march and april guitar world are perfect examples. i understand his way of thinking ( can't always play it as well as he can) but it makes perfect sence. it has helped me in composistions as well. that is my main goal any way. write and play good interesting music with guitar as an instrument in the mix. listen to scream by chad wackerman. guitar and vibes what a sound. im using that more and more.
take care gill

by the way jimmy herring band is on tour check his web site
Swain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Thanks for chiming in. Good to see some life on this board.

Yeah, Chord Scales are a definate must in a Practice Routine. I find them very useful, as well.

Here's something I like to do: Play a Chord Scale in one Position.

Say, play CM7 Dm7 Em7 FM7 G7 Am7 Bdim7 CM7 all in the 8th. Position. Being able to do this, really improved my ability to outline Arpeggios, and to Target Chord Tones while Improvising.

Now, the Head to Scapegoat? Still kicking my tail! Embarassed
gillvanderlip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: my ideas of chord scales Reply with quote

if im in the key of C ill start with C on 5th string 3rd fret and start using notes from the scale across the neck

C F B E A

then to 5 th posistion
D G C F B

and right up the neck

u can come up with great voicings this way
some where in a guitar player jimmy does this with huge stretches.

u can use your imaginnation and come up with lots of ideas.

solos come from al the scales associated with C major. but think melodic and large intervals. later gilllllllll
Swain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is a pretty cool technique! I like how these "Chords" or Stacks Of Notes can sound very interesting. I found some cool Voicings, with a little string skipping.

Say, playing "Chords" on the A G B Strings. Just skipping or muting the D String. Kind of yields a more "open" sound, to my ears. And works really well Arpeggiated.

Here's a cool on, that can work pretty well in C:

e-X
B-5
G-4
D-X
A-5
E-X
gillvanderlip

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: good idea Reply with quote

swain thats a cool idea now take that same shape and start in third posistion then to fifth then eighth and then tenth. that gives c as root. d then f and then g....... im using more diminished ideas behind this kinda thing being sure i resolve properly. using b diminish and resolving the g sharp to a works real nice for those blue notes

later gill
gsbe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a band in VA called the Nicholson Brothers that are playing this tune. The guitar player, Brian Mesko, took a few weeks and learned the head. It's a monster. You can see them doing it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Fm2rGkvSU

There's also a pretty cool video of JH showing on guitar what's going on in this song. I have to hunt it down.

How about the GuitarHero version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83u2f9lINM

Ha
gsbe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Guitar World video featuring JH describing Scapegoat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNdCZSTqdo
redhandedhaze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have the pages from the march issue? I've been having a hard time finding it..

I'm not even sure what's in the magazine. . . Are the chord changes in it? I'm transcribing the song for school and I can't figure out if my chord changes are right
gsbe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tune is in 6. Jimmy calls the chords Bb7#9, Bb/B, then Abm6(#5). He's using the same shapes and changing the bass notes according to the video.

I think he's pretty clear in the video (second link in my 2 posts above). Almost everything is diminished which is, IMHO, his specialty.
redhandedhaze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHh yeah I got those chords, those ones were easier cause the guitar plays them... But theres a few other spots I'm not sure about... Like the chords that happen right before it goes into the dimished part
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: