Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Trying to Get Jimmy's Tone
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Trying to Get Jimmy's Tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck976

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Trying to Get Jimmy's Tone Reply with quote

Hey all. I have been on a quest to find Jimmy's tone, but I just can't nail it. I have a Les Paul Classic and a Crate GT212 amp. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could get his tone with this amp and guitar? I currently have my Rhythm as: Gain - 3, Low - 7, Mid - 10, High - 7, Reverb - 3.5
flavaham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd roll the high back to around 10 o'clock. Is your amp tube or solid state? To get his tone you need a powerful tube amp. Next, get a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor distortion pedal.

Honestly though, soooo much of his tone is in his fingers. The vibretto he gets is very important. Work on your legatto and single string lines. He says he likes to play so that you don't "hear the frets." try to mimic slide playing. Also, get some Allan Holdsworth CDs and try to play some of his stuff. His influence on herring's playing becomes quite obvious.

Seriously though, if you've got $250ish to spend, I know he plays through the Tube Factor so I'd start there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: