Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Anybody study with Jimmy Herring?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Anybody study with Jimmy Herring?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Anybody study with Jimmy Herring? Reply with quote

Didn't Jimmy teach in Atlanta and LA at GIT?
JackD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy did teach in Atlanta at AIM. He went there due to Steve Freeman, a GIT instructor who I believe was a co-founder at AIM. I called down there earlier this year to see if Jimmy was still teaching there or if he did any clinics. They said that Jimmy no longer was an instructor. The gal in the office said it had been a couple of years. She didn't know if Jimmy still did any teaching, but that he toured a lot (i.e., she wasn't much help).

If anyone knows if Jimmy is doing any teaching or clinics, I'd love to know (and go)!
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure he's not going to be teaching anytime soon. He's touring like crazy with The Dead. Anytime he gets off will be spent with his family, fishing, or other projects I highly suspect.
Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy the first week I moved to Atlanta. I studied with Jimmy on and off for 5 years. He gave lessons one night a week in his basement. I was the last lesson of the night. My lesson would typically begin at 11:00 P.M. and would often go on well into the early morning. I also attended AIM but started shortly after Jimmy quit teaching there. I learned more from Jimmy than from anywhere else. He was always able to get his point across and would always help you apply concepts in a real world situation. The man is an absolute monster with endless ideas and musical concpets. I long for the day when he is able to release an album of his material. Most have only heard a small portion of what he is capable of.
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an experience! I would pay, leave my guitar home and just watch. By the way, does he pick with the pointy (normal) side or what the fat side. The reason I ask is because his articulation is strong, sounds solid like when you use the fat side. Probably just due to badass technique in general.
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he could flat pick.....hold the pick normally but angle the tip so its a fatter, smoother tonality
i use it and its done wonders for my alternate picking and string skipping(ie arpeggios)
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way...anyone know any 3 strings arpeggios that sound good being swept down and up a minor 3rd besides min7th arpeggios?

Ether might you know what arpeggios jimmy uses to sweep and if he goes up and down by minor 3rds?
Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy always strives to be original in his playing. When I was taking lessons from him, sweep picking was all the rage with the shredders, and Jimmy typically shyed away from using this technique. At that time he was working on a concept he called "shuffle picking" which was a combination of alternate picking and left hand hammer-ons that allowed a very clean articulate attack and blinding speed, even with licks that skipped strings. Jimmy has made extensive use of the minor pentatonic scale played verying degrees from the root, as has been mentioned in this forum. Jimmy came across this concept while studying with Scott Henderson at GIT. If analyzed, these notes make up one of the modes, depending on what type of chord structure he is soloing over. The benefit is it allows you to develop licks and ideas beyond the typical scalar patterns that we often rely on as it forces you to look at the same notes in a different way and to phrase differently. He also is a big fan of using major triads superimposed over a root note to give various tonal colors, which again gets you away from thinking scalarly and forces you to develop new phrasing. I'm sure Jimmy has developed many new concepts since my lessons with him in the late eighties/early nineties.
Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking to explore these concepts and many more check out the 2 instructional videos that Scott Henderson put out. There is a wealth of information contained in these 2 videos that will open up a world of ideas for anyone looking to expand their knowledge.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THNAKS MAN!

South Panic
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethereal Cereal wrote:
Jimmy always strives to be original in his playing. When I was taking lessons from him, sweep picking was all the rage with the shredders, and Jimmy typically shyed away from using this technique. At that time he was working on a concept he called "shuffle picking" which was a combination of alternate picking and left hand hammer-ons that allowed a very clean articulate attack and blinding speed, even with licks that skipped strings. Jimmy has made extensive use of the minor pentatonic scale played verying degrees from the root, as has been mentioned in this forum. Jimmy came across this concept while studying with Scott Henderson at GIT. If analyzed, these notes make up one of the modes, depending on what type of chord structure he is soloing over. The benefit is it allows you to develop licks and ideas beyond the typical scalar patterns that we often rely on as it forces you to look at the same notes in a different way and to phrase differently. He also is a big fan of using major triads superimposed over a root note to give various tonal colors, which again gets you away from thinking scalarly and forces you to develop new phrasing. I'm sure Jimmy has developed many new concepts since my lessons with him in the late eighties/early nineties.

Scott's videos are excellent....

You always have 3 pentatonics you can play over a major or minor chord... these are all inside sounds\

Minor pentatonic
A minor - A, B, and E

Major pentatonic
C maj - C, D, E

Here's a clip where I am playing F# minor pentatonic over E minor...

Jose Ending Sig: 335
http://www.dhenderson.com/MP3/TR%20siga/New/Jose%20Ending%20SIG.mp3
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see what you mean as "shuffle picking" i cant really shuffle pick the arpeggios cleanly yet, because that takes incredibe skill but im working on it...thanks ether!
PeachforPeace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain the shuffle picking a little more? I can't seem to get the hang of it Sad
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill try and explain as best i can....jimmy doesnt use clean up and down strokes when he plays those three string or two string runs.....he uses a mixture of picking the first note of then hammering on or pulling off the next two and so on.....its a combination of alternate picking and hammer ons and pull offs
toneking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Etheral cereal email toneking please sir.................. Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Ethereal Cereal wrote:

Scott's videos are excellent....

You always have 3 pentatonics you can play over a major or minor chord... these are all inside sounds\

Minor pentatonic
A minor - A, B, and E

Major pentatonic
C maj - C, D, E

Here's a clip where I am playing F# minor pentatonic over E minor...

Jose Ending Sig: 335
http://www.dhenderson.com/MP3/TR%20siga/New/Jose%20Ending%20SIG.mp3

ETHERAL CEREAL
please email me id like to speak with you about what you learned with Jimmy id be scared to play around him and at the same time
scared not to learn from him....
what a great player...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: