Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - gear setup
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

gear setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: gear setup Reply with quote

does anyone know about Jimmy's set up?? especially in the jazz is dead era. I've seen him playing his PRS hollowbody and the suburst strat, but have no info on amps or effects.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he talked about his setup in Guitar Player. I need to go back and look.

From what I can remember, he had a Marshall and a Fender and a stereo volume pedal and switched back and forth.

Anybody help us out?
Blackknife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar: ’63 Fender Strat
Amps: Two Twin Reverbs, one with a line-out adapter made by Kendrick run into a TC Electronics M1 digital reverb and back to two Peavey Ranger power amps and speakers in stereo. Splitter box helps eliminate ground troubles…
Effects: Ernie Ball Volume pedal, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor. “The Tube Factor is a Strat player’s dream come true,” says Herring. “I use it as a clean boost, where it’s pretty much a clean sound, but a lot louder than it would be and it puts a little more air on it. It is not an overdrive box. You can play clean solos which get out there and you can hear them because it adds another stage of gain.”
Strings: D’Addario
JackD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PRS Hollowbody II with the P-90s was a main guitar (as far as I can tell). In terms of amps, on Laughing Water, Jimmy thanks Guy Hedrick of Guytron Amps. Guy is a personal friend of mine and I once asked him and he acknowledged that Jimmy was using his amp. I'm not sure if he still has or uses one, but these (Guytron) amps sound fantastic. When I saw Jimmy with the Dead a month ago in Michigan, I think he was just playing out of a Fender (twin, I recall).
toneking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: tube factor Reply with quote

great pedal I bought one soon as that interview passed my eyes...
kool pedals I see and hear why he likes them
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna know what kind of picks he uses.....and if he flat picks....i could never find that out
Blackknife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that he holds the pick with 3 fingers...thumb, index, and middle.
I got one of those Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor overdrive units, and I can see why he uses them!
etvetv2001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what guage strings he uses?

I'm new here. I found out about Jimmy about a year ago when I heard his incredible blues lead work (along with Larry mcCray) on the "Out of the Madness" CD by Derek trucks. Most tasteful blues licks on that song I've ever heard, and I'm 52 and have heard a lot.

Really glad I found this site. just ordered the new ARU DVD! Can't wait to see it! Thanks for posting the sound clip!

Later guys! Wink
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.10-.46 tremelo Daddario
etvetv2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of pickups are those on the dark Fender Strat he uses on the Jacksonville DVD?
closeconnection

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that many of you are coming to "gear setup" in order to find out about how Jimmy's setup works........well, some information you might find of interest straight from the horses mouth can be found under
"amp info", "strings", and "picks".

I hope this helps.......there are alot of hits under this category and I think you are looking for some of Jimmy's responses.....

He is user Jimmy H

When he returns from this tour and gets back on I will have him post all his responses under one Subject line.

Take care and thanks to all visiting him on the Codetalkers tour!

Peace
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (closeconnection and I)decided to move all the Jimmy H.(the man himself) posts under Jimmy Herring Music and then look for the announcement, Jimmy response to some of your questions.

Those will be where his posts are in the future to questions.

I had to just cut and paste from different posts, but I think I got them all.

Thanks!!!! Very Happy

South Panic
Johnnycable

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: JH Gear Questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have found some info on other websites about Jimmys setup. PRS website has piz and describes Jimmys new soapbar pickup guitars. In the Dead and PLQ... From what I have seen and read Jimmy uses PRS Guitars...now..occasionaly his Strat a "gift from Phil" thru a Ibanez Tube Screamer, to a Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor Drive pedal, thru various volume pedals to control amps and monitor mixes also...then to a fender twin with a direct out to a reverb unit then to 2 power amps and speaker cabinets for that "out in space" reverb. Ending up with a tone that borders on distortion but never really breaks into a bad sounding mess of overdrive...instead a gutty buzzsaw single coil sound with a huge amount of air putting it up top. I'm sure his setup has changed slightly with The Codetalkers, regardless I am sure Jimmy would do just fine on most any Guitar and Amp and we'd all still love it!!! Thanks
Johnny
GD Pix and more
www.electricblue.net/Deadspace/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: