Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Improv over jazz progresions~
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Improv over jazz progresions~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundseed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Improv over jazz progresions~ Reply with quote

Hi jimmy, I was hoping you could help shed some light on the topic of improvising over jazz progressions. I find that when i'm playing in a modal or static fashon I do fine, but when a jazz progression is thrown in I tend to lose it. The fact that the tonal center is always changing really gets me. It would be great if you had a more simplified way of looking at playing with the changes. Alot of your concepts that involve using the pentatonic have really helped. It seems that you take these complex topics of improv or playing in general and expose how easy it is to make sense of it all. conventional explanations don't always work for me. it usually takes a unique perspective. Also any tips on working on picking speed or how to slow down fast licks in your brain would be great.

Thanks Matthew~
GrantMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not jimmy but if you gave me an example of what your wanting to learn ( such as a progression ii v progression or random progression or whatver your thinking about) then i will be happy to give you a comman jazz approach if i can.
Swain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a way to use your pentatonics over any chords. Every major chord has a relative minor chord. Every one of the 5 pentatonic shapes has a major, and a minor chord hiding inside it. You can play the chord, and "see" a scale hovering around it. All you need, is to memorize the 5 pentatonic boxes, and their major, and minor chords.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: