Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Jim H. and Jay meet! 4/21/05 Codetalkers review and pics
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jim H. and Jay meet! 4/21/05 Codetalkers review and pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Jim H. and Jay meet! 4/21/05 Codetalkers review and pics Reply with quote

WOW!!! This was quite the night!!

We left NH around 7:00PM to make the Boston 9:00pm showtime. We got to Boston right at 9:00PM, and as we were looking for parking, a car directly in front of The Paradise left and gave us the open spot right in front of the marquee!!

So we go in, and the show still had not started, and there were maybe 50 people there already. Here is the stage setup:

I went up the only roadie, who is named "Curfew" by Col. Bruce because he is so young. I told him who I was and asked him to let Jimmy know. He was really cool and zippped right out back, and less than 45 seconds later, Curfew is telling me to follow him backstage to meet Jimmy!!

So, I go back and The MAN himself is standing there in a SUIT, TIE AND JACKET and JEANS!! I almost did a double take, but before I could Jimmy walked over, grabbed my hand and started telling me great it was to finally meet and he thanked me for all my efforts(inbelieveable, thanking ME!). I, was of course, totally stoked at how nice he was, and we started talking about EVERYTHING from WSP to GD to Phil to PLF to Mardi Gras to fishing to ARU. He lit up a cig. and I asked if I could smoke. Instead, he was like "Well, lets just split this one if you do not mind." I was MORE than happy to!!

After that we talked while we smoked the cig. (I quit years ago, but f*ck it!) and we just talked and talked. Finally, Curfew came and told us that they were going to clear backstage for a "band meeting". Jimmy said, "Well, let me intorduce you to everyone first." So, he takes me into the dressing room, and introduced me to Col. Bruce first ("Hello sir!!!), and the Bobby Lee Rodgers (who is a freaking GENIUS on the banjo and acoustic guitar) and then the bass player "Whitehorse" and the drummer "Falcon". They all got up and came and shook my hand and seemed genuinely happy to meet me! After that I told them I'd see them after the show and left backstage(after asking Jimmy if it was cool to come back after the show, which he was like "Of course!") totally BEAMING!

So, the show was SICK. 2 sets of amazing electric bluegrass mixed with acid fusion rock. Very solid, and very worth going to see if you can. Here are some pics:

and then, there was the post show...more to come!!

South Panic

Last edited by jaystraw on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:22 am; edited 4 times in total
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here's the rest of the story:

Set 2 ended somewhere around 11:45PM or so. It was one of the smallest places I've ever seen anyone, and with so few people there ( maybe 100), I was no more than 3 feet from Jimmy the entire night. It was cool to actually get eye contact with him while he is shredding the hell outta whatever he is playing. The entire band was in a great mood, and really gave off a great vibe. They all played their instruments above and behind their heads once!!

Col. Bruce gives a salute!

Jimmy also has a brand new PRS you can see in the pic below. It's a beautiful guitar and has an incredible tone.

So, after the show we waited to see what happened. We were kinda by the back door, and Bobby Lee Rodgers came out and pointed right at me and waved me over. He thanked us for coming (he's as nice as Jimmy, and an amazing musician) and we talked about the show for a few minutes until Jimmy got changed out of his suit and stuff. After 5 minutes of talking to Bobby Lee, he peeked back to the dressing room and said Jimmy was ready.

He was totally just waiting for us in the hallway. He's so damn nice. I introduced my girl and my good friend Mike (who kept telling me I was the luckiest son of a bitch going lately, and he is right, I should buy a lottery ticket at this rate) and we started talking again. I asked him a few questions about PLF and the upcoming shows. He thinks that there will be some November 2005 shows with RRE and PLF and himself.

There is SOOOOO much more. We talked and smoked cigs for almost a full hour with about 20 people listening and watching us. It was really cool but I kinda felt like I was taking up all his time for myself, and so many others wanted to talk to him, so I asked for a quick picture and told him we were gonna take off. He was more than happy to, and we hugged goodbye about 3 times, and I finally left.

Kymra and Mike with Jimmy

Jay and Jimmy

Smile YAHOO!

South Panic
closeconnection

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Jay.......I felt like I was there....I can see that smiling face of his!!!

We don't have pics........where are they? Ok computer guru...work on those pics!!!!!!!!

I want to see those photos!!!!! Take care!
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you not see the pictures that I posted?? Darnit!

I'll email them to you right now!

can other people see them??

South Panic
Insanity's King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there too, right in front of Jimmy for the first set and most of the second. I was completely blown away by both him and the Codetalkers, awesome show. Talk about intimate too, everytime Jimmy finished a solo, all you could hear was people screaming. Great show, thanks for the good times Jimmy.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now!

What were you wearing man? There were only a few people there, and I think I talked to everone....

Were you wearing the Wanee festival t-shirt and Patriots hat?

Great show, good times!

South Panic
Insanity's King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i was wearing a green hemp hoody first set and a tie dye dead t second set and a sox hat. i def. saw you talking to the roadie and going back stage and i was right in front of Jimmy, so we must have met.

Edit: Was this taped? i would really love a copy if it was.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found a tape yet, but as soon as I do, I'll offer it up!!

I think I remember the Sox hat and the tie dye!! Right on!

South Panic
FZdMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right up front with you guys. I had a great time. I had to go this show alone, which I've only done once before (weird, it was an eary Oteil and the Peacemakers gig and there was less than 10 people there. Come to think of it, I missed Frogwings because no one would go! I think my friends lie about being ARU fans!! Those bastards! ). I have to tell you, I was worried around 8:20 when there was like 5 people in the place. I'm glad it filled out some.

This was the fourth time I've seen Jimmy (twice with Jazz Is Dead and once with Project Z). I found Jimmy's playing to be very patient this night. His tone was a little different then what I'm used to (maybe it's actually hearing the notes straight from his amp) but it fit in very well. The man has a great touch and that's always the same!

I'd only heard a live recording of the Codetalkers (with Jimmy) before this show and the band just blew me away! Bobby is one hell of a picker and seeing Bruce was a trip!

Have a great one, all.
Insanity's King

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, his tone sounded wonderful straight from the amp. I actually had to move towards the center a little b/c I couldn't hear col. Bruce over Jimmy and Bobby who were both right in front of me. Truly amazing to be that close to such a wonderful musician, I still can;t get this stupid grin off my face.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya.

And my ears still hurt, and I see a lot of shows!

South Panic
BRayStrat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear how the show went. I won't ever forget the 2 Codetalker/Jimmy shows I attended, and briefly talking to him. What a great guy!
listen to this

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Codetalkers w/ Jimmy Reply with quote

Can't wait to see them! New Orleans here I come!

Last time I saw The Codetalkers, sometimes it looked like Bruce was just playing air guitar, or maybe turned himself way down???

Maybe that's why you didn't hear him well....

The three other Codetalkers played a set at MagFest w/o Bruce, and they kicked as much a** as always, so maybe he is just quieter except for solos these days, after all he is nearly 60! Maybe he is just bowing out to let Bobby and Jimmy strut their stuff....
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion....

Col. Bruce has definately taken a step back from being a front-man right now. It really seems like Bobby Lee is the main front man of the band, with Jimmy completely tearing it up right next to him. Col. Bruce has the charisma and the knowledge to throw things in here and there to keep it fun and interesting, but I noticed he was not playing much overall.

That just shows how much repect he has for Jimmy. Very Happy

South Panic
listen to this

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Col Bruce Reply with quote

Guess that's why this is the only band he has been in where his name came AFTER the band's name. I think Bobby writes all the material (except for what Bruce sings, which is always old stuff.) As I said, he often doesn't play much, not just with Jimmy there. I saw them at MagFest and that was the most I have seen him play! Other times, he just hangs back alot. I think he just enjoys the music and loves being there and just BEING Bruce Hampton...

But Bruce sure can pick 'em, can't he! I will go to see any band he plays in for sure, and have since he and Jimmy were in ARU. The man knows where the music is!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: