Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - New Ways to Use Pentatonic Scales.....
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New Ways to Use Pentatonic Scales.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRayStrat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: New Ways to Use Pentatonic Scales..... Reply with quote

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/175

I found this interesting article. I know Jimmy Herring is known to use these pentatonic methods over minor chords. He discussed this in a guitar magazine, I'm thinking Guitar One a while back. He talked about using the pentatonic scale on the 2nd and 5th degree of the chord.
For example, if you're soloing over Am, you can also play Bm pent or Em pentatonic over it
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy for you to say Wink

South Panic
gillvanderlip

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: penatonic ideas Reply with quote

B minor pentatonic could be viewed as A dorian.there are a few missing notes. the g , c ..........this gives some interval ideas and E minor pentonic could be viewed the same way. A dorian b minor penatonic and eminor penatonic share some same notes.......you can write it out and see the possibilities.........im using the two fingers and thumb to hold a pick and this works real good. has changed my playing totally and forcing me to play more in time. later gill
Swain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good one:

When playing a minor pentatonic scale, replace the b7, with the 6. Example: Em Pentatonic = EGABD. The new scale is EGABC#.

This will yield a sweet, almost major sound. Even over minor chords. It's similar to playing Dorian. The trick, is to NOT play that b7. You will feel the desire to play the b7, but DON'T! Once you get the feel of this note substitution all over the neck, THEN you can switch back and forth between the two scales. It's kind of like "shifting gears".
Let me know what you guys think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: