Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - PLF Fillmore and Red Rocks Review
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

PLF Fillmore and Red Rocks Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: PLF Fillmore and Red Rocks Review Reply with quote

First off, this was absolutely the most fun I've ever had going to any shows. Thanks to the great Carolyn and Jimmy Herring (emphasis on Carolyn..you rock!!)and the whole Phil Lesh and Friends Band and crew.

First off, I really think they were good shows. Much different than what we have been hearing, and the first night the vocals were a bit rough in some spots.

But overall, they really seemed to enjoy playing together, and they really hit their stride at Red Rocks.

The Fillmore is a beautiful venue shaped like a large rectangle, with a huge hardwood floor covering 80% of the venue with no seats. All the seating is in the sides on the venue at bars or small tables. It has really nice pictures on the walls like at The Warfield, and there's about 8 huge crystal chandeliers hanging over the crowd

I was in for some of soundcheck, and heard Truckin' and GDTRFB. Sounded awesome.

We (dcf, manny and I) sat at a table really close to the stage, right next to the guy who Phil picked to play Wolf (he played Paperback Rider). Cool guys for sure.

The Dragonfly's came out and it was a really strong performance. They really did a great job with the tunes live, and Jimmy really makes all the differance in the world.

Phil and Friends came out and the first set was really rockin'. It was so hot, it probably could have been the second set at any show! The second set it did get really hot in the venue, and I think it sapped energy from everyone somewhat. They finished strong though, and Ryan knew he had to do some "woodsheddin'" before Red Rocks.

For Red Rocks, we got to the venue around 5:00PM or so, after stopping by Matt's to meet the Colorado crew plus some representitives of the West Coast crew.

We got into the venue during the middle of soundcheck (5:45PM) and they did not leave the stage until the doors had opened and the first 15 rows were filled. Even then, they all hung out on stage talking for another 30 min. or so.

They came on around 9:15PM (all the damn natural light was gone...grrr), and rocked out the first set. Ryan was totally on and did a great job. Barry was much higher in the mix, Jimmy was showing just how much emotion he really does rock with, Rob was doing a good job of playing, but not trying to do toomuch and Jeff Spie was a force of nature doing things I think most people probably missed only because they are so subtle, and he really blew my mind. DO NOT LOSE THIS GUY PLEASE PHIL.

The second set was even better than the first. The highlight for me was The Other One. Nearing one of the peaks of the jam, it looked like the wind gusted through the band and caught the music, making it and the band go even higher. It was something I've never seen, but I hope I see again. It was so cool.

Overall, I thought the were solid shows with great moments. I'll continue to trust in Phil (and Jimmy!).

Thats it. Pics can soon be seen at http://jimmyherring.net

South Panic
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay, thanks again for helping me out with tickets! I live in Boulder and was able to see all 3 shows last week.

FOX - Dragonfly
Filmore - Dragonfly/ P&F
Red Rocks - P&F

OK, here's the disclaimer. I'm a Jimmy Herring fan not necessarily a Dead Head. I like the Dead Bands to a point but I'm much more a guitar geek.

The first night in Boulder was my favorite of all the shows. The Fox is a small intimate venue and a great sounding room. I had never heard the Dragonflies before. I was real impressed with the Dragonflies material - great writing, interesting tunes, some changing time signatures and great guitar lines. Jimmy was lighting it up with his usual fire. In inprov sections Jimmy is capable of taking the whole band with him building from low intensity to incredible crescendos! His use of wide intervals was really interesting from a guitar geek perspective - lots of 4ths, 5ths,Triads, and taking it out harmonically - very cool.

The next night at the Filmore the Dragonflies picked up right where they left off and nailed down another great set - with just a couple of shaky moments . Jimmy again doing the Jimmy thing - wide interval lines, building solos, killer tone, some taking it out harmonically.

Next up was Phil and Friends with Jimmy playing the Wolf guitar, Jeff Sipe on Drums, Barry on Pedal Steel, Rob on Keys and Ryan Adams on guitar and vocals. Again, I'm not huge dead head so it was impossible for me not to notice the mismatch of musicians. So you have Jimmy Herring and Jeff Sipe two world class musicians, then Rob, Barry and Phil also very competent players and then Ryan Adams. Ryan is very average beginner guitar player now add to this the fact that he clearly didn't know the tunes. He was a train-wreck. Ok his singing was OK when he did get the lyrics right - reading them off a music stand. You would think getting an opportunity to play with Phil & Friends you would learn the tunes...yes!!

I thought Ryan brought the whole band down a notch adding sloppiness and below average guitar to what would have been a great lineup. Ryan trading guitar solos with Jimmy...???

Now Jimmy and the Wolf was really weird. Gone was the fat PRS tone, the interesting intervals, the Jimmy Herring fire. What was left was a very good Jerry imitation. Jimmy kept doing that Jerry bend (if you are a guitar player you know what I'm talking about - that Jerry bend) over and over. Hey the Dead Heads loved it but the Jimmy fans, like myself, are there to hear Jimmy!

Then there was Jeff Sipe, one of the best fusion drummers on the planet, dumbing it down considerably. I kept waiting for him to take off but like Jimmy he was really laying back and dumbing it down.

Red Rocks is one of the greatest places on the planet to see a show. Ryan was much better the 2nd night particular his vocals. But again you had the mismatch of musicians. Jimmy returned to his PRS and played a lot more like Jimmy but still laying back to fit more into the band. Jeff Sipe did the same. This was clearly the better of the two P&F shows.

Bottom line, I think it's time for Jimmy to move on from the Jerry bands. He's been there and done that for how many years now! Jimmy has his own voice and it's time for him stay in the voice 100% of the time and expand on an original Jimmy project.

There are 1000 guitar players out there that can do the various Jerry/Dead things... and I'm not saying that the Jerry/ Dead thing is a bad thing. It's legendary for sure. What I am saying is there a few guitar players out there on Jimmy Herring's level. Jimmy needs to express and expand that voice in an original ensemble!

It was great seeing you live Jimmy! Thanks man!!
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmmm..well, since I come from both the Deadhead view, and a fan of Jimmy (I was into Jimmy before he played GD music and before I liked the GD), but not a guitar player standpoint (I am not very good and am a beginner) I have a somewaht different view, but I agree on a lot of the stuff about Ryan.

It's Phils band, and these guys are really lucky to play with him. From a pure musician standpoint, it sounds OK that there are others that can play GD music, but only Jimmy makes it come alive. They have tried others, and they are not Jimmy.

As far as his playing on Wolf..there were definate sound issues that night, but I've got no problem with Jimmy trying something new for him. He was test-driving that guitar for the first time. A little slack please?? Wink

As far as Sipe..yeah he still rocked when he could shine, but was kinda held in checkl. But, it's a 6 person band and not everyone can got nuts all the time. They played to Ryans abilities, not their own a lot of the time I'll agree. There were some really great moments though.

Accentuate the positive!! Laughing

South Panic
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't mean to get negative...Crying or Very sad

Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit... maybe there are just a few guys who could do that gig well...

I thought Kimock did a great job on the Dead stuff!

You are right there were some really great moments!

It's just when there is such a legacy underneath a show like the AAB, Dead, TOO, P&F, etc.. There is a style that the musicians have to respect and keep close too.

The point I was trying to make is that when Jimmy is outside of that, like with the Dragonflys, ARU, Project Z, CodeTalkers, I think his playing is much more interesting and inspiring. This is coming totally from the guitar geek perspective! Shocked
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!! Dave, your negativity is still more positive than a lot of deadheads I heard about Adams!

Cool

NO worries bro, if I was a better guitarist with a better ear, who knows how I would feel?!

South Panic
GrantMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been listening to the phil, jimmy, adams thing the past couple of days...and i have mixed feelingut is on it myself. I am a major Ryan Adams fan..the guy is a legend already IMO..and of course i am a major jimmy fan as well....granted i wasnt there but i dont Adams brought it down and they had to play to his abilities as much as there are from 2 pretty differnt musical places.....Adams is all about melody and passion..wich means it can get rough around the edges ..and i know Jerry was rough around the edges as well in his playing alot as well but he created taht sound so it worked ..lol...and on top of that i have heard from friends back home that the last time they saw adams it was a horrible show...the problems with him could be nothing more than he is coming off a tour and is just drained....but overall it just seems ryan is more fuzzy and jimmy and friends are more clear musically...if that makes sense....lol my 2
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds pretty good to me!

South Panic
jwblanton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those two PLF shows as was very excited to listen what with all the discussion surrounding them. So, if anyone doesn't really give a crap about another opinion nows the place to duck out....
I am not a "Deadhead" in it's truest form Wink but I do enjoy a large part of what Jerry and the group have created over the years. I have a few other PLF shows with Chris Robinson singing and those are crap IMO comparably!!!!! Talk about botched lyrics and uneasy changes (there is a specific negative quote on Philzone about Ryan competing with Phil to get his "version" of the lyrics out) but I hear Chris doing that a number of times in the shows I have.
Now, having said that, the Chris/PLF show is one of the most listened to albums in my playlist. I love F@#$ ups in music....not only does it show that it's not well rehearsed, trained monkeys up there but very different individuals trying to compliment each other; it also makes those magic moments even more intense where everyone is on the same page!
So, listening only after the fact, i really prefer Ryan's take on the songs, a little more pure and musical vocal sound! Keep picking gifted players Phil and constantly change 'em up so the sound evolves (even though Jimmy and Sipe are your best picks so far LOL!!!!) Thanks for reading this long!!
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes this so funny to me is that I was at the shows with Chris, and I never noticed ANY screw-ups!

LOL! It's really interesting how many different opinions people have. I guess it truely is all about perspective.

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: