Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Any More Herring articles/books/anything?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Any More Herring articles/books/anything?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyLittleCletus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Any More Herring articles/books/anything? Reply with quote

I know its a longshot, but have there been any other in-depth looks at Herrings playing other than the Guitar Player lesson with Jude Gold? I gained so much from that, it would be wonderful if there were any other resources available.

Or (an even longer shot) are there any JID tab resources available? I learn best by example and Herring's take on the Dead is pretty close to what i'm striving to do (playing lyrically with the lightning fast bursts thrown in for kicks). Any help would be muy Garcias.
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anything since the Guitar Player article. I guess he's just too busy. It kind of pisses me off that magazines aren't featuring him. The first thing I do when I pick on up is scan the headlines for "Jimmy Herring". I don't think the general public is aware of him yet or something. So I guess we'll get more Jeff Beck, Jimi hendrix, Billy Gibbons, WhiteStripes, etc. No offense to those guys. It's the nature of the business I guess. Jimmy is probably not popular enough to sell magazines. Dead fans are too pissed at him to spread praise and make him popular because "...he's not Jerry." OK. I'm off to register for an anger management class.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I was in line at a Red Rocks Dead show in 2003. I was going to see Jimmy play. All the dead heads were saying oh yea he's not Jerry blah blah... I'm going no kinding he's not Jerry alright! Wink Not even close... Jimmy is in another leauge! Shocked
smv929

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must be aware that people feel that way. What a frustration. My guess is that he's doing the gig for money. I have a vcd of Phil Lesh, Jimmy and Warren, which is not different from The Dead. Borrrring. He hardly was able to do anything. If I had never seen him before, I would have thought he's just an average talent. I felt that Warren played more than he should have. It is great quality and I was so excited to finally see Jimmy play but very disappointed to see nothing. The band was just average. Jimmy looked like he was bored, not happy, but trying to act pleased. I felt sorry for him. Like a beautiful wild animal caged up.

I hope that he makes enough money to finally quit and concentrate on his own music. I don't blame him for doing it. However, it must be tough for him. Maybe I'm totally wrong and he loves it! I doubt it because I've heard so many live shows of him and have a good idea as to how he likes to play -- balls to the wall. We'll probably never know because he probably doesn't complain or would never trash talk anyone (so I've heard). Good for him.
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish ARU would come up north....i know its a long shot cuz they stay around the atlanta area but i cant drive all the way down there......no car
smv929

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they are going to do a Jam Cruise. What other gigs do they have planned? Is there a calendar listing somewhere.

Are there plans for Jimmy's other projects to tour or put out albums? I can't find much. Someone on this site mentioned a new Project Z in the works. Hungry for details.
johann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another lesson in guitar one, there was AC/DC on the cover, very good lesson.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back off non Dead Heads...Jimmy was /is great with The Dead and PLF.

Because you saw one DVD you did not appreciate does not make a bad band.

The Dead is a COLLABERATION of artists making something together, not a free for all for just Jimmy to go nuts. Listen to some 2002 The Other Ones with jsut Jimmy, and you'll see.

I agree he needs more space to play, but blame Warren, not The Dead.

and lets not bash Jerry just because jerkoffs bash Jimmy..OK? Jerry was and is the main psychedellic guitarist of his generation, so just relax..the man is a legend, and so is Jimmy. No need to put one man down.

South Panic
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jerry bashing intended - it's an apples and oranges comparison. Jerry was Jerry and Jimmy should focus on being Jimmy!
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree. no disrepect intended. Just expressing disappointment. In fact, I'm just now replying on this thread after much time has passed. After reading my earlier posts, I must admit I came across angry and like an opinionated jerk. Sorry for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: