Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - What's up with Jimmy in 2006?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

What's up with Jimmy in 2006?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: What's up with Jimmy in 2006? Reply with quote

Anyone have the the inside track about Jimmy's next move or any news or whatever? Haven't heard much for a long time (since it was announced he was not going to tour with Phil Lesh and Friends). I'm just anxious to know what's coming up and miss the activity in Jimmy's forum. Thanks.
wajsims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Jimmy with ARU Reply with quote

Jimmy will play with ARU in Boulder the third weekend of this month for 2 nights.
What beyond that though as his website is stagnant.

In March there is a festival with the Codetalkers and the Peacemakers in Savannag, GA.
This could bring on an impromptu ARU show as well if Jimmy showed up.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col. Bruce & Bobby Lee to play with Aquarium Rescue Unit on January 20th & 21st
Col. Bruce is joining original members of the Aquarium Rescue Unit (Jimmy Herring, Jeff Sipe, Oteil Buridge) in two shows at Boulder's Fox Theater January 20th and 21st. Fans may recall the fast-fingered mandolin wizardry of Matt Mundy, who has not performed with the band in a number of years, and understand why the addition of Bobby Lee Rodgers to the shows' line-up is a natural choice. Bobby Lee will be playing his electric banjo during these shows, so Codetalkers fans who have missed hearing him play it recently should add this to their list of reasons to make the trip to Colorado.

South Panic
Zambi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he's recording the first "Jimmy Herring" solo record right now with Rush Anderson recording/engineering/producing. Rush is Jimmy's long-time guitar tech back in the ARU days, who also made a large contribution to Jimmy's tone and cool/innovative setups. I believe they're recording at Rush's studio - Rush Hour Studios. I can't seem to find a link right now, but Rush used to have a web-site. I haven't heard anything at all about Jimmy's record, other than to expect the unexpected. And I don't mean just the zambi "out" stuff. Think some rocker tunes with vox and that sorta thing.

Rumor is Jimmy will also be teaching a monthly masters guitar class at AIM, where he has formerly given seminars and I think even studied there way back in the day.

www.atlantainstituteofmusic.com
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thank you for the inside info!

South Panic
smv929

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the update. Interesting stuff. Keep us updated on the solo cd and any other plans. Thansk!
wajsims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: 2006 and beyond Reply with quote

Looks like the Jimmy this is your future thread may pan out, hopefully with the Birmingham satellite campus.

Hopefully a solo CD will be followed up with good media management.

The ARU site does not even show the Colorado shows or Herring's site.
These guys are great musicians yet someone with business/sales skills needs to step up and promote the hell out of them...who was the dude that promoted the Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin,...etc you know their name because they were out there hitting the pavement for the band.
Where is that now?

Its Friday all day long
Zambi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These guys are great musicians yet someone with business/sales skills needs to step up and promote the hell out of them...who was the dude that promoted the Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin,...etc you know their name because they were out there hitting the pavement for the band.
Where is that now?

Well, I don't think ARU has had a manager since probably around 1995 or 1996 or a PR agency since the Capricorn days. I know at the end of "active" ARU they pretty much just had a booking agent setting up the tours and everything else was word-of-mouth. And I doubt seriously they even have a booking agent now. I bet they book their few reunion shows now pretty much on their own, perhaps with assistance of Bruce's or the Peacemakers' booking agent.

The ARU site was set up to push sales of the 1998 lineup, and the Sipe/Bruce lineup is basically viewed as competition. That's why the marketing on the ARU site is limited to "The Calling" and the "At Jax Jazz Fest" DVD and Sean's new record. So you won't see the ARU site advertising the reunion shows of the 1994 ARU lineup.

Similar deal with Oteil's site.... it seems to me that Oteil set up that site basically to market the Peacemakers, so I don't think you'll see much support of the ARU reunion shows there either. And both the ARU and Oteil sites are hosted and designed by Hittin the Web, Inc. -- so 'political' reasons might exist too.

I don't think you'll see ARU hire managers and a PR agency unless they decide to do something more permanent. As long as it's one-off shows here and there, they'll handle the business side on their own. At least that's what I think.
wajsims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: ARU Reply with quote

In the last couple years I have found ARU's booking site at one point and it said they were $ 15,0000 / night.
Point taken on the dusty websites yet if a touring project gels then it needs to be accompanied by a media blitz.
The Dragonflys have a website yet Project Z does not etc.
Zambi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the last couple years I have found ARU's booking site at one point and it said they were $ 15,0000 / night.
Point taken on the dusty websites yet if a touring project gels then it needs to be accompanied by a media blitz.

I agree with your overall point, that they need good management and PR if they're going to make a go at it. That's the difference in playing 500-1000 seaters versus the venues Gov't Mule plays (1,000-4,000 seaters). At least in my opinion. But I don't think they want to make a go at it. I think they're just looking to do a few one-off shows here and there as a good way to get together with old friends and have a good time. At least that's how I think they view ARU, rather than an ongoing serious thing.

I believe Project Z had a web-site "under construction" for quite awhile after the first record was released, but it never was developed. My guess is their record contract with Terminus gave Terminus the rights to any official Project Z official web-site. Now that Project Z went with Abstract Logix Records, rather than Terminus, they probably don't even have the rights to their own web-site domain. That's just my speculation. Abstract Logix does both Jimmy's and Sipe's web-sites though.

I believe ARU's last booking agent was APA -- Agency for the Performing Arts in California. Last I checked, they didn't have a web-site. I bet you saw a web-site that listed a bunch of acts and claimed they could book any of them for special events. Those are brokers that are basically middle-men between the event planner and the talent's actual booking agent. I've seen a couple of those sites that listed bands that were no longer together, such as Van Halen, Eagles, etc. (before they all got back together). Not trying to be argumentative, but that's my guess. I don't think ARU has booking agent right now.

Again, I agree with your overall point that if Oteil, Jimmy, Sipe & Bruce wanted to really put ARU back together, they could do very well with a good record company behind them with good PR agency and good management. But I just don't think that's where their heads are right now.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zambi wrote:
Quote:
Where is that now?

Well, I don't think ARU has had a manager since probably around 1995 or 1996 or a PR agency since the Capricorn days. I know at the end of "active" ARU they pretty much just had a booking agent setting up the tours and everything else was word-of-mouth. And I doubt seriously they even have a booking agent now. I bet they book their few reunion shows now pretty much on their own, perhaps with assistance of Bruce's or the Peacemakers' booking agent.

The ARU site was set up to push sales of the 1998 lineup, and the Sipe/Bruce lineup is basically viewed as competition. That's why the marketing on the ARU site is limited to "The Calling" and the "At Jax Jazz Fest" DVD and Sean's new record. So you won't see the ARU site advertising the reunion shows of the 1994 ARU lineup.

Similar deal with Oteil's site.... it seems to me that Oteil set up that site basically to market the Peacemakers, so I don't think you'll see much support of the ARU reunion shows there either. And both the ARU and Oteil sites are hosted and designed by Hittin the Web, Inc. -- so 'political' reasons might exist too.

I don't think you'll see ARU hire managers and a PR agency unless they decide to do something more permanent. As long as it's one-off shows here and there, they'll handle the business side on their own. At least that's what I think.

oooppps. I wondedr how they will like my post about this months show on the forum. I had no idea!

South Panic
fredadams30281

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: ARU shows Reply with quote

I would not look for any more shows beyond the two in Boulder, and surely no need for PR or management.

The way I hear the story, from Jimmy, these shows were booked without his prior knowledge, and he agreed to do it if everyone else was. The addition of Bobby Lee to the team was a huge plus, and Jimmy is most excited to see what he and Otiel do together, as he did not think they have ever played live before.

For more on Jimmy 2006, check out honesttune.com, where I will be featuring a very lengthy interview with Jimmy within the next few days.

For now, the focus is writing tunes for his next studio project. More details on who will be joining him can be found in the interview.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Fred!!

South Panic
blackdiesel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zambi wrote:
Quote:

I believe Project Z had a web-site "under construction" for quite awhile after the first record was released, but it never was developed. My guess is their record contract with Terminus gave Terminus the rights to any official Project Z official web-site. Now that Project Z went with Abstract Logix Records, rather than Terminus, they probably don't even have the rights to their own web-site domain. That's just my speculation. Abstract Logix does both Jimmy's and Sipe's web-sites though.

Jimmy and Project Z has a website, it hasn't been updated since Spt/Oct. I am still waiting on the promised tour with Mathew Garrison on bass.
http://www.jimmyherring.net/news.htm
Zambi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jimmy and Project Z has a website, it hasn't been updated since Spt/Oct. I am still waiting on the promised tour with Mathew Garrison on bass.
http://www.jimmyherring.net/news.htm

There used to be a separate projectz.com several years ago. That what I was talking about. Jimmy's site seems to be the closest thing to a Project Z site now though. Sipe's site is also back up and running, after a few weeks of being down: http://www.jeffsipe.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: