Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Some more help with Jimmy's guitar playing
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Some more help with Jimmy's guitar playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Some more help with Jimmy's guitar playing Reply with quote

from what i have been playing.....mostly ARU stuff.....ive realized jimmy uses a ton of intervals while he shreds....mainly sounds like in intervals of 4s and 7s with a mix of half step higher hammer ons and pull offs...which is a great way for the out of the box fusion sound
gillvanderlip

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: jimmy's playing Reply with quote

i can't play his solos note for note but i do hear alot of diminished ideas and lots of intervals. check out the solo be played on adam nitti song 'balance' . its one of the best guitar solos around in my opinion. listening to jimmy herring and has help me develop my ear and phrasing is the most important thing..........shredding is cool but to say something melodic and expressive is the ticket. thats what i work on as a player. check out matt schofield he plays alot of good ideas and any video or book by don mock. he can help you devlope as a player. find what you do best and make the best music you can. jimmy has covered alot of ground these last few years. he has a great ear and has so much knowlege about the instrument. he has really changed me alot take care to all gill
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the intervals do incorporate diminished or harmonic runs...theyre basically the same notes if you listen.
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find his playing to be pretty "modal."
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he tends to use modes when hes grooving on 8th notes.....IE pretty much every jazz is dead solo...but when he rips up the fretboard its pretty much minor pentatonic and too get the outside sound he goes a half step up but he always brings it back to the root. What's really interesting is that if you tried playing the half step up idea, it will sound like complete garbage if you dont resolve it right. shows that he knows his shit
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, one of my favorite aspects of his style is the way he'll go off on those Coltrane-esque tangents (which often involves half-steps, as you mention) and then bring it back at the end of the phrase. The longer he waits to "resolve," the more "out" the jam becomes.

Unfortunately it seems like he has a tendency to overuse this technique at times, and it contributes to the same-sounding-ness of his solos as a whole. I think it's partially because his phrasing is often too similar.
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fully agree with you AJK....i usually dont use the half step pattern with anything besides the dorian mode.....becuase it gives me a much broader range of notes to play rather than a half step up using pentatonic...which doesnt have too many notes. lately ive been trying to see what jimmy's fastest recording ever was....so far i havent found anything above(an insanely ferocious) 205 bpm
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know modes. I really want to learn them.

(I'm a bass player, not a guitar player).

I'm self-taught though I did take a decade of piano lessons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Cornor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: