Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Herring/Sipe/Fountain/Rodgers/Van Allen
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Herring/Sipe/Fountain/Rodgers/Van Allen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zambi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Herring/Sipe/Fountain/Rodgers/Van Allen Reply with quote

For those of you who've never seen/heard Jimmy and Sipe play with Neal Fountain, it's a real treat. I put Neal right up there with Oteil in terms of chops and taste and melodicism. I highly suggest hunting down some of those "Apartment Projects" shows from the August-September 1998 tour with the lineup featuring Sipe, Jimmy, The Count, Neal Fountain & Bryan Lopes....it was the precursor to Project Z.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Bobby Lee Rodgers will join Jimmy Herring, Jeff Sipe, Mark Van Allen, and Neal Fountain for a handful of dates beginnig May 26th and culminating in a featured set at Smilefest in the mountains of North Carolina on June 3rd.

Many will recall that Herring (electric guitar) and Sipe (drums) are both alumni of the Aquarium Rescue Unit and Phil Lesh & Friends. Herring has toured on two occasions with Rodgers' band The Codetalkers. Since many of us know these cats, read on for more on the rest of the line-up:

Mark Van Allen has thirty years of steel guitar-playing under his belt, and that is how he is most recognized. He has played with a long and impressive list of players, including having played with Vassar Clements and his Holiday Band back in December 2004, one of the last shows Vassar played, and in which Bobby Lee, Ted & Tyler of The Codetalkers played as well.

Hailing from the musical hotbed of Athens, GA, Neal Fountain has been playing professionally from the age of 14. Best known as a sideman to Col. Bruce Hampton and the Fiji Mariners and drumming phenom Jeff Sipe (aka Apt Q258), Neal’s name is on the short list of greater Atlanta’s finest musicians. Though relatively unknown outside those circles, this line-up is sure to bring many eyes in the direction of these five fine musicians.
Zambi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From The Codetalkers' web-site:

BOBBY LEE RODGERS IN HERRING/RODGERS/SIPE PROJECT

FRI 5/26/06 CHARLESTON SC THE POUR HOUSE 10:00pm $15

SAT 5/27/06 JACKSONVILLE BEACH FL FREEBIRD LIVE 10:00pm $15

SUN 5/28/06 ST. PETERSBURG FL THE BANK 9:00pm $15/$18

SAT 6/3/06 LAKE TOXAWAY NC SMILEFEST TBA TBA
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

South Panic
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Bobby Lee's myspace:

South Panic
Zambi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, it seems silly to name a band after individual members' last names, and then make 60% of them more prominent than the other 40%. It'd be like HALL & oates or Hellborg & Lane (and Sipe). Oh yeah, Jonas did do that to Sipe on the last Trio record with Sipe. Anyway, you get the point. That just seems kind of silly to downplay Neal Fountain and Mark Van Allen, both of whom are stellar musicians in their own right.

Thankfully, Jimmy's web-site says they're using "Herring, Rodgers & Sipe" temporarily while they come up with another band name.

http://www.jimmyherring.net/news.htm
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can actually vote on a new name at www.thecodetalkers.com message board, and at Bobby LR's myspace site.

I like Project Herodipe, but that's just me.

South Panic
Zambi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Planet Xenon? Is that on the list? I couldn't find the poll on the band name.

Some fun links to persuse about the Herring/Rodgers/Sipe/Fountain/Van Allen gig:

1. Band's MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/herringrodgerssipe

2. Great interview with Neal Fountain from a few years ago:
http://www.globalbass.com/archives/mar2001/neal_fountain.ht m

3. Interview with Sipe in Modern Drummer earlier this year:
http://www.moderndrummer.com/updatefull/200001621
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: Tour dates are posted at www.jimmyherring.net. Very Happy

Bad news: They're not in my home town. Sad

Good news: Chances are good the shows will be taped and posted. Very Happy
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More dates are GOOD!

South Panic
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shows begin next week!!!!!

South Panic
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: The Bank ~ 5/28/06 Reply with quote

The show at The Bank (St. Pete) last night was awesome!

The band sounded great. They played mostly (maybe all?) Bobby Lee's songs (Beggin' You to Stay, See You, Could it Be?, Did my Time, I Remember, Lighthouse, Deep End, Mercury & a few others). There was one song I didn't recognize -- the second song in the set ???? It was my favorite song of the show !

Jimmy, Bobby Lee and Jeff make a great band together. Neal Fountain is a great bass man -- a melodic player -- and he sounded great on every song. Mark Van Allen on pedal steel guitar was very good too, although I couldn't hear him as much in the mix.

I took some pictures without flash, but they are all dark and grainy Sad

blackdiesel

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see them 5/31. Are the songs fusion flavored or bluegrass/country flavored? When hearing Bobby Lee's songs with the Codetalkers, I hear a country/bluegrass angle.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3h2PJF0j5Q&search=herring

Smile

enjoy!

South Panic
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdiesel wrote:
I'm going to see them 5/31. Are the songs fusion flavored or bluegrass/country flavored? When hearing Bobby Lee's songs with the Codetalkers, I hear a country/bluegrass angle.

Sunday's show at The Bank sounded a lot like Bobby Lee's solo albums -- Water Buffalo and Mercury Retrograde. Jimmy and Bobby Lee didn't do a lot of improvisational jamming during this show, but the band sounded great.

I'm a big fan of Bobby Lee's music. He's a great songwriter and his music needs to be heard. I don't think of his music in terms of genre, such as fusion or bluegrass. To me it's more about Bobby Lee's percussive playing style -- his rhythm playing drives the song and his vocals are more like an instrument -- think sax or fiddle -- than a message. There wasn't a lot of open space in the music for free range improvisation Sunday night. They played the music straight up, close to the recordings. Neal was taking opportunities to improvise and add creative bass melodies. He sounded great 100% of the time. Jeff's playing sounded good to me, too. Like I said before, I love pedal steel guitar, but I could barely hear it.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the steel was the lowest and least prominant Sunday night. I do not think that it was planned, but they just went with the flow.

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: