Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - New Jimmy interview
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New Jimmy interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: New Jimmy interview Reply with quote

http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2006_05_18.08.phtml

(small excerpt below)

"DB- Changing gears somewhat, late last year in a statement on his web site, Phil Lesh indicated that “in order to take advantage of other musical opportunities that have come his way, Jimmy Herring will now be moving on a little earlier.” Is it fair to say that your current project with Bobby Lee represents those “other musical opportunities.”

JH- I guess that’s fair to say. Let me just add that I love those people. I love Phil and I love that whole family. My years of playing with them, it was unbelievable. It was like a gift, that’s the way I look at that. Nothing’s meant to be forever and the point came when I felt it was time for me to pursue some of these other things I was telling you about before because it’ll never happen if I don’t do it.

I’m not a person who’s very good at spreading myself thin. I have to do one thing at a time. So when I was playing with Phil, 100% of my undivided attention went to that. To me that’s what you’ve got to do if you’re playing music of that magnitude. Just the sheer volume of the catalog alone is enough to keep you from drifting off and doing too many other things if you’re going to do it and give it your all. So I knew if I was going to give this my all, then I could not have anything else around.

I spent hours upon weeks upon months and years studying this music and man this music it’s never-ending lesson to be learned and you can study it for years on end and always find something new that you didn’t know before. That’s one of the things that makes it so beautiful."

South Panic
jwblanton

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops...sorry about the arm crossing Jimmy! In Altlanta last week, i prolly had my arms crossed because I was aproached by an elder lady to dance and if you saw me it's pretty easy to see I'm not the dancing type Wink!!!! The band I played with in college had this amazing drummer, and all the other drummers from other local bands would watch us. So, I know what you mean when the music is feeling good, and the audience is simply observing chops from afar. Still cool they all came out though. I promise to appear more song oriented next show!!! LOL!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: