Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - ARU Fall Tour 2006?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

ARU Fall Tour 2006?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smv929

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Herring freak and was slow to warm to Bobby, but only because I'm a Herring nerd to the 101st degree and want to hear him wail as much as possbile. However, as I started to hear the HRS shows and listened to Bobby, I quickly realized he kicks butt and has some great lines that he plays with ease. Plus he writes some funky tunes a couple of which stay in my head.
blackdiesel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ARU & Bobby Lee Rodgers Reply with quote

listen to this wrote:
Dear blackdiesel:

Just wondering if you even know that the only reason the band decided to book any more dates after their weekend stint in Boulder in January was BECAUSE of Bobby Lee Rodgers' presence. (This fact came from a friend of a friend who works for one of the musicians in the band.) Apparently, the band had such a great time playing that they decided to ask him to join the band AND to schedule as many dates as they could around everyone's schedule when they had--until that time--decided they really didn't want to play any more dates. So as far as I am concerned, he can stay. Besides the fact that the man just plain kicks ass....

I've never said I didn't think Rogers could play very well. I just don't dig his music or his influence on the ARU songs. So, still don't care, still don't like the way ARU sound with him in the band, still don't like the Codetalkers and still not going to see them. Exclamation
smv929

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn. I thought we could make you like him. just kidding. you like what you like and that's ok. i guess people naturally are compelled to take up for their favorite musicians.
gsbe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like we're talking about 2 diff bands here. The Herrings/Rogers/Sipe/Fountain group plays Bobby's songs. The ARU group plays ARU songs with Bobby filling in for Matt Mundy's ponderous shoes. I think that fans of Jimmy's guitar playing would enjoy both bands but clearly a "die-hard" ARU fan (if there really is such a thing;)) would like the current ARU recreation more.
blackdiesel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsbe wrote:
Seems like we're talking about 2 diff bands here. The Herrings/Rogers/Sipe/Fountain group plays Bobby's songs. The ARU group plays ARU songs with Bobby filling in for Matt Mundy's ponderous shoes. I think that fans of Jimmy's guitar playing would enjoy both bands but clearly a "die-hard" ARU fan (if there really is such a thing;)) would like the current ARU recreation more.

I consider myself a die-hard ARU fan. I've got a dvd from this year's Allgood festival and this version of ARU sounds like the Codetalkers with Jimmy Herring guest playing.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they did not play that many Bobby tunes either way. To me it sounded like ARU with a couple Bobby Lee tunes.

I saw a few of the Codetlakers wit hjimmy, and to me it sounded uch different. Sipe and Oteil alone make a vastly diff. sound.

IMHO of course.

South Panic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: