Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Show Reviews! please put Jimmy show reviews here
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Show Reviews! please put Jimmy show reviews here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Show Reviews! please put Jimmy show reviews here Reply with quote

Herring/Rodgers/Sipe The Red Square. Albany NY 08/08/06

Great show last night. Very different energy at the show as there were about 50 kids there, who looked 18 but were probably 21, absolutely WASTED and having a great old time. People were screaming and hollering and in general "raising the roof" mang.

The Red Square blows as a venue. The lighting was supplied by a total of three out of 20 lights that actually worked. So bad even my fairly sensitive camera could not get much of anything. The sound was pretty bad in the beginning, but improved as they were able to work with the limitations provided by the club. It was MAYBE 20 x 20 and I'm being generous. The AC was broken, so it only worked occasioanlly.

The upside of that was a very intimate setting to see these guys just blow away the crowd. Everyone at the show was really impressed, and the guys seemed to be doing a lot of experimentation with the space now left by the departure of Mark Van Allen. The absence of the steel was noticable, but easily filled by Jimmy.

They played a lot of different tunes than last tour. All written by Bobby Lee Rodgers, and they are all pretty ripping..a few I did not even know. One was the Codetalkers standard Swordcrosser that opened the second set. Some of the other tunes were:

Miles Ahead
Fresh
Blow My Brains (encore)
Adore/Ignore
abd about 20 more.

Set 1 started around 9:15pm and ended around 10:30. The second set started around 11:15pm and ended around 12:15pm.

South Panic
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: HRS Wilkes-Barre, PA 8/9/06 Reply with quote

This show, from the very beginning, promised to be an incredible experience. Great people, small crowd, killer band and a very kind house in which to play

The venue was the River Street Jazz Cafe in Wilkes-Barre PA. The venue is located in strip mall just off of the highway and you would never think such a nice place would be in such a strange location. Very big, very open venue with perfect lighting during the show.

The fact that there were only about 50 people there did not diminish the energy the guys put into the music this night. From the "get-go" the music was tight and full of direction. Much less loose than the previous show. The funniset part was that a setlist was on the stage (below). Not one song on it was played the way it was written! Typical BLR at his finest!

The first set lasted a little over an hour, and the guys took about a 20 minute setbreak.

Second set started a little after midnight, and the guys were all smiles (below):

They just totally ripped the roof off the cafe. BLR has started to call Neil Fountin, "Fontain" and the song "Lighthouse" became a tribute to "Fontain" this night with BLR interjecting "Fontain" into several of the verses. He also made up a song, which I'm calling "Fontain". BLR is just a masrter lyrisist and it is stunning how well he can make up songs "on the fly".

Here is some video of "Fontain":

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5878426839367426467

Jimmy was in fine form as usual. Just tearing into the music with the Fender, and really feeling the groove. Check out this video of one of his solo's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXykoaMprY

Jeff Sipe was really into in on this fine night. He really is like a tasmainian devil on the drum kit. I have no idea how he is able to maintain such a rock solid rhythm, and then kick over into jazzy pace in a matter of half a second. He is, as is every person in the band, so obviously a guy who is in touch with his musical soul.

Neil "Fontain" Fountain was completely and totally playing wide open. His solo's are the bass equivilent of Jimmy's giutar solos. He is such a great player, and so far ahead of the time he is playing in that this band is perfect for him. More Fontain Please!!

More HRS for that matter please!! After this night I hope the guys can see to playing together at least a few shows a year and keep this magic alive!! When this band is on, they put on a better show that almost any other band I go to see, and it gets better with each show.

South Panic
BRayStrat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the show last night at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. Very surprising to see the number of people there...many more compared to what I've been reading online and more so than when I saw the Codetalkers with Jimmy in Richmond and Charlottesville VA last year.

The guys played with mind blowing (or should I say blow your brains) abandon. The songs I did recognize were Niagra Falls, Saved By The Same Thing, Lighthouse, an awesome Victor the Snakeman, Swordcrosser, Tumblin' Down, Outer Space. The guys also did John Coltrane's Impressions during one of the jams.
Looked like everyone, especially Jimmy was having a great time. Fountain was every bit as good as advertised and Jeff Sipe was phenomonal. It was great seeing Sipe throwing curve balls to the band, and the rest of the guys hitting them out of the park. By far one of the best bands I've ever seen, but I knew that going into the venue.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope they find a way to do more shows down the line. This will be another one of those bands talked about years later...

Nice review!

South Panic
smv929

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't attend te HRS 8-11-2006 show, but I have listened to this show a lot and I deem Jimmy to be "on" (for me anyway). He does some really cool jazzy lines in track #1 (the intro and the second solo). On track 3, (around 10:24) his solo builds into a nice pentatonic madness/fury. Ok, I'm a geek.
Zambi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactly where to post these without creating a whole new thread. Perhaps there should be a "sticky" thread for online articles about Jimmy. Anyway, here are two from Jambands.com:

HRSF Show Review - 8/10 Teaneck, NJ
http://www.jambands.com/ShowReviews/content_2006_09_15.01.phtml

Interview with Bobby Lee Rodgers, mostly touching on The Codetalkers and HRSF:
http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2006_09_20.05.phtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: