Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Herring w/ The Dead question...??
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Herring w/ The Dead question...??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Herring w/ The Dead question...?? Reply with quote

I love herring, and think he does great w/ The Dead, but does anyone feel like he never really reaches his potential with them like he does with his other bands??? Almost like he's holding his best licks back, he's nt taking it to that next level as much as he is capable of?? Is it the band holding him back, or is he holding back.. if it's the latter is he holding back cuz he's afraid of showing the boys up, or what?? I love him in there, wouldn't want anyone else.. just a thought...
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree Herring is held back in The Dead? He's on another level musically. He's done the Allmans, P&F, JID, TOO and The Dead...enough! Been their done all that...

Jimmy please go do your own music now!
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with TOO, he was more able to dig into his bag of tricks, and be more creative. With Warren up there, I think he is such a nice guy, he does not want to step on his buddies toes, and he holds back.

There is an older artivcle where Jimmy expresses his dislike of being one of a million people on stage..he thinks the sound gets messy.

I'll try to post the article.

South Panic
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaystraw wrote:
I think with TOO, he was more able to dig into his bag of tricks, and be more creative. With Warren up there, I think he is such a nice guy, he does not want to step on his buddies toes, and he holds back.

There is an element of that, but even at the '03 Dead shows it was clear he was starting to 'hold back.' On the fall '02 tour he was much more likely to unleash his fast runs and whatnot. Plus, he seems to have no trouble letting loose w/Warren in PLQ. I think not wanting to step on Bobby's toes has more to do with it, or the deadhead's toes.

I heard many people complaining at the time of "too many notes," I wonder if fan input had anything to do with it. I also wonder if it was a conscious decision by Jimmy or an edict from the core four.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points my friend. I guess I thought it may be due to Warren is because they seemed to almost trade nights...one night Jimmy would take lead, the other night Warren would take the lead. During each show, they would trade off even more, but they seemed to have either Warren dominated nights, or Team effort nights, but rarely Jimmy dominted nights. The exception seems to me to be 6/19/04 Red Rocks. Jimmy is all over the map, and it's probably the best show of the tour.

Plus, Jimmy defers to Bob...intentionally, or just because Bob really is cool, I do not know. All I know is Jimmy said "Cassidy" was one of his favorites last summer, an I have a hard time believeing that was more fun and smoother than Shine On You Crazy Diamond or even then new Strange World song.

The only place I'd be happy if he left ot go to is WSP.

South Panic

Last edited by jaystraw on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
johnnyg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Jimmy with the dead. Reply with quote

Couple quick points. Sometime the mothership needs help from some very poewerful people, even though many might see this as a slight to the rescuer. However in the end they both get what they need and then are free to go on there marry way.

That's how I saw JH helping Phil and then the other core 3. I will not dive into the technical aspects, but when they were together in PLQ together and then Dead 04. That was music to my ears. I have always thought that W/J workvery well together becascue if the different styles.

Different musicians complement each other well. Look at the Bob and Jerry combo. If Bob would have been light years better, and Garcia, so, so. Who knows what garbage they would have made. But look at what happened. A really great gutarist finds this anarchist kid who can play some chords and the next thing you know, off off and away! True Love
smv929

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am huge Jimmy Herring fan, but probalby would not be based on the few Dead or Phil Lesh shows I've heard. Totally doesn't do him justice. I agree with the comments above about him holding back. He can't go on long doing that (I would imagine), even if he's getting paid well. Of course, I'm not a Dead fan. He may love it.

jaystraw,
I would like to hear a good Dead show, but there are so many out there. Do you know where I could download the 6/19/04 Red Rocks show you mentioned above (SHN/FLAC or whatever)? Thanks.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smv929 I cannot find it on any of the sites that normally do d/l's right now. I have a copy if yoou would like to trade for it, or do a BnP once I find a clean copy....I cannot find my disc one right now, but I have 6/20/04 or 8/1/04 or 8/3/04...all ofd which are almost as good.

In fact 7/30/04 (my favorite east coast show)is one ofthose "team effort" nights where Jimmy is on it!

South Panic
HappyLittleCletus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smv929 wrote:

jaystraw,
I would like to hear a good Dead show, but there are so many out there. Do you know where I could download the 6/19/04 Red Rocks show you mentioned above (SHN/FLAC or whatever)? Thanks.

6-19-04 Was the only night of the five i attended. Thunder and lightening and pouring rain. And Jimmy Herring on FIRE! Truly a magical evening. Even the group of older Heads i went with had to admit that they had witnessed something fantastic.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops I think you may be getting 6/18 confused with 6/19 (6/18 it POURED, and was a Friday night, 6/19 was a Sunny Saturday)

ZThey show SMOKED on 6.18.04 too though!

South Panic
HappyLittleCletus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected then! Wheel to open the second set, or the Eyes, or the ironic Here Comes Sunshine, or.....

was my favorite part.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that sounds right!

I actually left during the Estimated Prophet...my girl was wet ot the bone (me too) and it was time to get warm or get hypothermic!

South Panic
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6/18 AND 6/19 are up here:

http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/tunetree/Dead/
jaystraw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link buddy!! I really needed another copy of 6/18 and 6/19!!

I was listening to 6/20 and I really had a good time at that show, and Jimmy ws ripping it up!

I hope he does one more "tour of duty" as lead guitar in The Dead and Phil and friends. If someone would just unplug Warren, and let Jimmy lead, all would be good!!

South Panic
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what im hoping for....jimmy coming out during the 12/31 mule show at the beacon and rippin it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: