Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Best band environment for Jimmy
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Best band environment for Jimmy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Best band environment for Jimmy Reply with quote

I like Jimmy best when he is with (in this order)...

Apartment Projects,
Project Z (especially later shows),
ARU,
as well as later Jazz is Dead shows (99 and on), Endangered species, Justice League.

In those formats (espcially Apartment Projects, Project Z and most ARU), he is able to be himself and do the thigns we love him for. However, in certain other environments (like Phil Lesh, The Dead, Allman Brothers, and even some Derek Trucks shows), we only get to see a part of Jimmy. He plays to fit their style or not steal the show. He still sounds great, and hats off to him for being so disciplined and professional that he holds back and plays to to fit their stage. For instance, he doesn't take Allman Brothers solos too "out there" like he does with ARU or APartment Projects. He's very professional and considerate.

I have so many shows of him not holding back that I've become spoiled and get frustrated watching him in such bands as The Dead. In fact, I hardly want to hear a show anymore where he and another guitar player share the stage (like Warren Hayes, John Scofield, even Derek Trucks). He seems to try not to show up other players (not that those guys suck). I think he's just very conscious of trying to not to appear competitive or steal someone's show. Thus, he holds back some.

I have become a Jimmy Herring fanatic in the past year. I used to buy a lot of guitar music, searching for the next inspiration. However, my desire to hear others has dropped off a lot. Players I used to listen to no longer seem as interesting because they lack that "feel" that he has. Of course, Jimmy has chops and all, but what makes him great is his rhythmic ability. Everything he does (courntry lines, jazz lines, out there lines, blues lines, chordal rhythms) all seem funky! He can play a simple line and that feel he gives it just makes it funky. So when I hear other guys who noodle on and on without that great" feel", it just seems boring. Jimmy has spoiled me.
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in alot of jimmy's interviews he stated that ARU was the best because he could be free and he loved to play the fast tempo stuff they do in ARU. (I know i loved hearing him shred) Jazz is dead i felt he had a more melodic idea almost playing vocally. those are my two i think are his best environment
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best band environment for Jimmy Reply with quote

smv929 wrote:
I like Jimmy best when he is with (in this order)...

Apartment Projects,
Project Z (especially later shows),
ARU,
as well as later Jazz is Dead shows (99 and on), Endangered species, Justice League.

In those formats (espcially Apartment Projects, Project Z and most ARU), he is able to be himself and do the thigns we love him for. However, in certain other environments (like Phil Lesh, The Dead, Allman Brothers, and even some Derek Trucks shows), we only get to see a part of Jimmy. He plays to fit their style or not steal the show. He still sounds great, and hats off to him for being so disciplined and professional that he holds back and plays to to fit their stage. For instance, he doesn't take Allman Brothers solos too "out there" like he does with ARU or APartment Projects. He's very professional and considerate.

I have so many shows of him not holding back that I've become spoiled and get frustrated watching him in such bands as The Dead. In fact, I hardly want to hear a show anymore where he and another guitar player share the stage (like Warren Hayes, John Scofield, even Derek Trucks). He seems to try not to show up other players (not that those guys suck). I think he's just very conscious of trying to not to appear competitive or steal someone's show. Thus, he holds back some.

I have become a Jimmy Herring fanatic in the past year. I used to buy a lot of guitar music, searching for the next inspiration. However, my desire to hear others has dropped off a lot. Players I used to listen to no longer seem as interesting because they lack that "feel" that he has. Of course, Jimmy has chops and all, but what makes him great is his rhythmic ability. Everything he does (courntry lines, jazz lines, out there lines, blues lines, chordal rhythms) all seem funky! He can play a simple line and that feel he gives it just makes it funky. So when I hear other guys who noodle on and on without that great" feel", it just seems boring. Jimmy has spoiled me.

Apartment Projects?? Who are these guys? Did they do a CD?
smv929

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apartment Projects is basically a more raw, improvised version of Project Z that allows Jimmy to go nuts. They'll do a variety of instrumental-only tunes, like a blues, a James Brown tune, Giant Steps, sevearl out-there tunes, and two nice Project Z-like cuts that they repeat in each show.

I'm not sure of the history but the shows I have are in 97 and mostly 98. Someone told me it's jams that occur at small clubs after the players do their big gigs.

One show lists Sipe, Herring, Fountain, Lopes, M'Butu . I don't have info on my other shows. The main soloists are a sax player and Jimmy. The Drummer sounds like it's usually Jeff Sipes and the bass is always funky. Oteil must be on at least one of the shows. It sounds like him. Anyway, they feature Jimmy out the wazoo. And he goes nuts. I highly recommend these shows if you're a Jimmy fan.

I don't have an ftp site, but if someone wants, I can upload them to their site. The shows I have are below. If anyone has anything other than this, please share them. Great Herring material.

1997-02-16 unknown (just one cut, wish I had the rest)
1998-08-26 Smith's Olde Bar,Atlanta, GA
1998-08-29 unknown
1998-09-17 Cotton Club, Atlanta, GA
1998-09-19 South Main Cafe, Blacksburg VA
jaystraw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Now!

Those Apartment Projects shows sound SWEET! IF you want to upload them to a site, there are a couple options.

http://bt.etree.org
or

http://sharingthegroove.org
or

http://archive.org

will all let you upload via their ftp server.

OR, if you have a burner, I'd LOVE to get a vine or BnP project going.

South Panic
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get copies of those!! Shocked
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too! Shocked
smv929

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be glad to share the apt projects stuff. Before we start a vine, I want to try an upload. However, I'm new to uploading to the bit torrent, db.etree.org, etc. sites. Never have uploaded or started a torrent. (Uploading to someone's peronsal shared ftp site would be the easiest -- basically copy and paste) Anyone know which is the easiest to post stuff to?

I would prefer to place it at db.etree.org or to the live music archive (or whatever) as opppossed to bit torrent sites. The reason is that the sound files will be available there for a long time, as oppossed to having a short few-day-life-span as a bit torrent.

Any technical advise would help me get started. I'll let you know once it's done. Be patient, it might take me some time before I'm able to do it, but I will follow through.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HWatever you are comfortable with my man! I guess then I would suggest archive.org as they are site that will hold them the longest.

Sorry I cannot offer tech advice...not that smart!

South Panic
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can host some stuff, probably not forever, but long enough for a bunch of people to pull it down.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJK..you rock with generous offers!!

By the way, did you want that 7/30/04 show freenbie I offered?? If so, PM or email me your addy

South Panic
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaystraw wrote:
AJK..you rock with generous offers!!

By the way, did you want that 7/30/04 show freenbie I offered?? If so, PM or email me your addy

That's ok, I have it already. Cool
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J.K. wrote:
i can host some stuff, probably not forever, but long enough for a bunch of people to pull it down.

That's very nice of you... Thanks!!! Very Happy
smv929

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...I'm uploading the 1st of a few Apartment Projects show featuring Jimmy Herring to http://www.archive.org/audio. It took several hours to upload. Although I have cable modem, the upload speed is only at 29KBps.

By the way , the files are in the SHN audio file format. Some who aren't used to trading may not like this or know what it is. But it's easy to get to get setup. We'll deal with that later.

I'll start a new topic when it's complete.
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: