Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Off to my first Mule show tonight!
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Off to my first Mule show tonight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Off to my first Mule show tonight! Reply with quote

Yep...gonna see a little Warren tonight at The Orpheum in Boston. My first time...Warren is no Jimmy, but the man can SING!

South Panic
A.J.K.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was it? i have a hard time really getting into the Mule, although I like them to a point. I have a feeling I'd like them a lot more if I saw them live.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Now...sorry for the delay...I have been and am a very sick man with pnemonia!

Mule was OK. Like Southern Heavy Metal, but very repetitive and simplistic.

Not really my cup o tea!

South Panic
jwblanton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Did Warren give you pneumonia? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your ailment Jay. I have also had a hard time really getting into the Mule thing. I think it is that really fat tone throughout each instance of his playing instead of the occasional nuanced lick you get with Jimmy's (and other players) more expressive style.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jw....you said it better than I could have ever exprerssed it. They did a very nice version of Beautifully Broken, which I like quite a bit.

South Panic
ARUjeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the sickness jay.......ive been to two mule shows and i gotta say they are a great live band...tons of energy and warren is a great player....the last show i went to was their first with andy hess becoming the permanent replacement for the late woody (rip)
it was a great show because i was 3 feet from warren and i spent the entire night just watching him play...greatest!
Eric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gov't Mule was my favorite band years ago but I thought they were on a downward spiral after they toured behing "Dose". I still like to brush off some old recordings from before 2000 every once in a while though. You might prefer their earlier stuff when they seemed more jazzlike (miss those 'Eternity's Breath' teases) and less Lynyrd Skynyrd perhaps.
In fact, I've only heard two songs off their latest album and neither has moved me to buy the album yet. That's a far cry from speeding halfway across the state to pick up the "Live...With A Little Help From Our Friends" set on the day it was released.
Nice coincidences. I'm wearing an old "Dose" t-shirt now (on my way to the gym) and I recently played back a Mule show with Jimmy Herring and John Scofield sitting in. Jimmy playing on 'Freeway Jam'...sweet...
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give some old Mule a shot. It was so different than I expected at the show, I'll have to give it another listen. Jimmy told me "Mule is Warrens true voice."

South Panic
GrantMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone suggest a specific album? cause i have heard him in 3 or 4 differnt groups and have yet to see him live up to the name he has gained as a great player....i think hes good just...never heard anything more than really basic blues stuff that mostly all kinda sounds the same. but if i can be proved wrong...please let me know.
Eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try Gov't Mule's early stuff like I suggest, look for "Live At Roseland Ballroom".
tapinfool

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got about 50 or so mule shows. mule was the shit back before their bass player alan woody died in aug. '00. i've seen them 2 dozen times. serious asswhuppin' the fans call it. i guess i'm one of 'em. been on the mule list for a coupla years. they went through some transition bass players, but none were the wood man. i'm not as happy w/ the current line-up. nobody could replace woody as far as i'm concerned. if you are lookin' for some serious mule shows i'll hook ya up. solid songwriting and playing. not to mention some killer covers. just drop me a note of list.

peace
kevin
Eric

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing "Dose" non-stop for two weeks. They were 'IT' for me for a few years but the magic is definately gone for me now.
I think their last great concert for me was their 12/31/1999 show. I ended up driving solo all the way to Atlanta from MA, spent two nights catching music (Col. Bruce Hampton and Planet Zambee the night before) and then drove back back home again.
Too bad the people I was going to travel with wanted to leave both places a day late. They had no interest in Col. Bruce but wanted to stay in Atlanta an extra night for Gregg Allman.
Anyways...I'm trying to get a CD-R list together if you want to look it over. It's at:
http://juncopartner.tripod.com/cdrlist
tapinfool

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey eric,
any chance you're headed to the strange creek campout this weekend? it's in your neck 'o the woods. i'm headed up there on fri. gonna be tapin' all weekend. can't wait. i'll give your list a peek when i get home early next week.

peace
kevin
Eric

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'm spending my money trying to take care of my health these days so I'm not traveling nearly as much as I used to.
I am going to try and buy tickets for the Rhythm & Roots Festival next weekend.
The only things I've got planned for the immediate future are:
6/3 Gary Backstrom Band @ The Attic, Newton, MA
6/9 Cowboy Junkies @ Somerville Theater, Somerville, MA (if I get off my butt and get tickets)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: